"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
I only have a prob in chinese restaurants and this I think is because I eat to much and use a lot of soy, the simsons are a very dry mouth, unusual thirst, broken sleep ( I have to get up to pee thankfully) so I just ask them to leave the "taste powder" out.
__________________

__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline  
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #22
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 161
Growing up, well, my mum scared the tar outta me 'bout this MSG "stuff"...I avoied it like the plague. Just never messed w/that "evil crud"....but, a few months ago, a dry, powder form of Accent introduced itself into my kitchen, &...wow!! I love the stuff! A little goes a long way, &, the taste it detonates certaintly are appreciated. So, I suppose that I am now in the camp of MSG (in moderation) RULES!! :)
__________________

__________________
Midnight_Merlot is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
I understand that some people have allergies. I have some myself (not food related). But, on a recent flight, over loadspeaker the passengers were asked to put away any food product that may contain any type of nuts. (Due to one passenger on the plane being allergic). Guess what? Dozens of people were eating crackers, cookies, sandwiches, etc. (So many snack items contain nuts or possibly were processed where the product came into contact with nuts.) I noticed that no one put their food items away. Bravo... I say, if one person has such a severe allergy. They should have been wearing a mask and not expect 80-90 people to put their food away. That type of thing is ridiculous! I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so I avoid anyone who smokes and I avoid any environment where there are cigarettes..period...I don't walk into a bar and ask people to put their cigarettes out. I stay out.
__________________
LAJ is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I understand that some people have allergies. I have some myself (not food related). But, on a recent flight, over loadspeaker the passengers were asked to put away any food product that may contain any type of nuts. (Due to one passenger on the plane being allergic). Guess what? Dozens of people were eating crackers, cookies, sandwiches, etc. (So many snack items contain nuts or possibly were processed where the product came into contact with nuts.) I noticed that no one put their food items away. Bravo... I say, if one person has such a severe allergy. They should have been wearing a mask and not expect 80-90 people to put their food away. That type of thing is ridiculous! I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so I avoid anyone who smokes and I avoid any environment where there are cigarettes..period...I don't walk into a bar and ask people to put their cigarettes out. I stay out.
The difference is that with cig smoke you are not going to die if you come into contact with it. Someone with a nut allergy could very easily die if they even touch something that was in contact with a nut. I hardly think it is fair to tell those people sorry, but you must drive to Hawaii instead of fly because the guy next to you just has to eat his peanuts instead of having a little human compassion and waiting a few hours and eating something else instead.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I understand that some people have allergies. I have some myself (not food related). But, on a recent flight, over loadspeaker the passengers were asked to put away any food product that may contain any type of nuts. (Due to one passenger on the plane being allergic). Guess what? Dozens of people were eating crackers, cookies, sandwiches, etc. (So many snack items contain nuts or possibly were processed where the product came into contact with nuts.) I noticed that no one put their food items away. Bravo... I say, if one person has such a severe allergy. They should have been wearing a mask and not expect 80-90 people to put their food away. That type of thing is ridiculous! I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so I avoid anyone who smokes and I avoid any environment where there are cigarettes..period...I don't walk into a bar and ask people to put their cigarettes out. I stay out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The difference is that with cig smoke you are not going to die if you come into contact with it. Someone with a nut allergy could very easily die if they even touch something that was in contact with a nut. I hardly think it is fair to tell those people sorry, but you must drive to Hawaii instead of fly because the guy next to you just has to eat his peanuts instead of having a little human compassion and waiting a few hours and eating something else instead.
I agree, in theory, with both of you. I know a little boy with a deathly peanut allergy, and just touching them can send him to the hospital, and smelling them up close can make him very sick.

The thing with the airplane scenario is, unless the plane was totally sanitized from previous flights there could still be peanut residue, so if a person's allergies are THAT bad they may need to wear some kind of special suit. Most don't have an allergy that bad and just need to avoid actually eating peanuts or being in close proximity to peanuts. For that reason, my friends with the boy with the allergy can't eat at places like restaurants where they serve peanuts and the shells are thrown on the floor.

For a typical peanut allergy (or most allergies) the allergic person just needs to avoid eating them or being very close to them. If someone has such drastic allergies, as described above, it is up to that person (or the family if it is a child) to take extra precautions.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,403
Barbara makes an excellent point about previous flights contaminating the plane.

If you have a severe allergy, it is on you to protect yourself. If that means wearing mask while flying, that's what you have to do. There is no other practical way to deal with it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
I have a totally different question. Is it me or the allergies are on the rise? I do not remember any of my friends, class mates, college friends growing up having allergies, well exept two who had egg allergies as little kids, but even they out grew it eventually.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have a totally different question. Is it me or the allergies are on the rise? I do not remember any of my friends, class mates, college friends growing up having allergies, well exept two who had egg allergies as little kids, but even they out grew it eventually.
It's not just you Charlie.

Some of it may be due to better diagnosis, but there are more. Some scientists who theorize it is because kids aren't exposed to as much dirt and germs nowadays, so their immune systems start reacting to ordinary things.

Some people think it is because there is so much unnatural stuff in our food and environment now.

And then there is the effect that the more peanut butter that is sold in a country the higher the rate of allergy to peanuts.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I didn't even know a person could be allergic to smoke

My father became allergic to shellfish when he got older (cripes I hope it never happens to me). He wound up in the hospital one night from eating fries that were deep fried in the same oil as shrimp. He learned the hard way to avoid anything that might be remotely connected to shellfish.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,403
I developed an allergy to clams as a senior in high school. I still miss them.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.