MSG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a person has that severe of a peanut allergy, they should be driving in a car and not on a plane full of people. If I was on an overseas flight and asked to put my food away, along with 80 other people due to one person-I would not do it. What's next? People with allergies to apples, oranges, bread, coffee, etc. (Put them all away...) It is up the the individual or the caregiver. Period.When I walk into a gas station and they have mopped with heavy bleach or pine cleaner, I have very serious reactions. I walk directly outside. And, I do not go there again. But, in the meantime I must make a trip to the doctor or hospital. Help!..the food police are now in the skies...

Yeah driving to Hawaii is a great idea. How about to Europe or Asia. Let me know how that works out for you.

No one is saying anyone should be forced to do anything that want. But I find it incredibly selfish for someone to say they would rather make someone drive to their destination rather than ever fly because they need to eat a handful of peanuts.

Allergy

In this case, the person put the burden of his safety on a plane full of strangers. That's making them responsible.

A voice of reason. I totally agree.
(Off topic, but on one flight, an announcement was made that human remains were on board on the pilot was taking a short cut and we would arrive a bit sooner. The donor chopper was waiting for the plane when we arrived. Everyone on the plane left their seat in a respectable manner, except for one lone person. He complained loudly that we were 20 minutes early at the airport. This is a great example of one person on a plane not being respectful of the rest. He needed a lesson on personal responsibility and respect. It takes all kinds.

But, on a recent flight, over loadspeaker the passengers were asked to put away any food product that may contain any type of nuts. (Due to one passenger on the plane being allergic). Guess what? Dozens of people were eating crackers, cookies, sandwiches, etc. (So many snack items contain nuts or possibly were processed where the product came into contact with nuts.) I noticed that no one put their food items away. Bravo... I say, if one person has such a severe allergy. They should have been wearing a mask and not expect 80-90 people to put their food away..

Bravo? Really? That's cold.

I'd gladly put my snack away if the alternative was sending a toddler into deadly anaphalactic shock at 35,000 feet.

Maybe the person was wearing a mask but their mother packed the epipen in her luggage by mistake?

snacks on plane

I'd gladly put my snack away if the alternative was sending a toddler into deadly anaphalactic shock at 35,000 feet.

Maybe the person was wearing a mask but their mother packed the epipen in her luggage by mistake?

"Its not cold." I have been on way too many flights and witnessed outrageous behavior by people who do not take responsibity. I guess if I had a toddler with a condition like that I would definately be prepared in flight or wherever I was. Or, I would drive instead of fly. A person I know of is obese and drives and will not take a plane. She does not want the person next to her to be uncomfortable and squisshed in seat. I applaud her.

"Its not cold." I have been on way too many flights and witnessed outrageous behavior by people who do not take responsibity.
Not cold??? So you don't think it is cold to tell someone they can not rush to their mother/father/son/daughter/grandparents/etc. side who was just rushed into the hospital to see them one last time before they die because you want a snack? yes that is a bit of an extreme, but it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. People do not just fly for fun you know.

Outrageous behavior? So letting people know of your allergy is outrageous behavior? i would submit that someone choosing a snack over a fellow humans health is the outrageous behavior.

Peanuts

Yeah driving to Hawaii is a great idea. How about to Europe or Asia. Let me know how that works out for you.

No one is saying anyone should be forced to do anything that want. But I find it incredibly selfish for someone to say they would rather make someone drive to their destination rather than ever fly because they need to eat a handful of peanuts.

The person with the allergy is the selfish one for not wearing a mask and being prepared. Peanut products are in so many snack items. It's not about "a handful of peanuts." It's about being responsible for yourself.
I don't "need to eat a handful of peanuts" on a flight. There may be peanut products in alot of food items on the plane. I am not going to adhere to this type of request. Everyone on the plane gasped when asked to do this. No wonder. Wear a mask, be prepared. Cover your face with a scarf or blanket, whatever you have to do. Maybe, they will bring a mask on next flight. The airline that threw the family off the plane for their childs bad behavior was a great thing. Finally... the parents were to blame and should not have made the rest of the passengers wait due to this kid who needed a spanking. If you can't control your child you should not be on a plane subjecting others to that nonsense and disturbance.

Last edited:
I have said it before and I will say it again since you do not seem to be reading...Wearing a mask will not prevent most people who have nut allergies from having a reaction.

Also, most, if not all airlines have stopped using nuts in many of their flights for this very reason.

allergy

Not cold??? So you don't think it is cold to tell someone they can not rush to their mother/father/son/daughter/grandparents/etc. side who was just rushed into the hospital to see them one last time before they die because you want a snack? yes that is a bit of an extreme, but it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. People do not just fly for fun you know.

Outrageous behavior? So letting people know of your allergy is outrageous behavior? i would submit that someone choosing a snack over a fellow humans health is the outrageous behavior.

Why don't these people wear masks and be prepared? I have flown to plenty of funerals and I always bring my inhalers and my nebulizers. I am an adult. These people who expect others to adhere to their rules under those circumstances are ridiculous.

There are some circumstances where this may be necessary as you stated.

While I feel allergy protection is the responsibility of the sufferer, I would not put another person's life in danger for the sake of a snack (or even a meal)!

Nuts

I have said it before and I will say it again since you do not seem to be reading...Wearing a mask will not prevent most people who have nut allergies from having a reaction.

Also, most, if not all airlines have stopped using nuts in many of their flights for this very reason.

Pretzel packs have nut particles, so reads the label on the pretzels on a recent AirTran flight. Peanut butter crackers are sold on Spirit flights as well as other airlines. I am sure the person can see a doctor prior to a flight and obtain any necessary meds to prevent allergy. Soon, the airlines will forbid any food on flights. (Catering to the people who do not prepare)

Why don't these people wear masks and be prepared? I have flown to plenty of funerals and I always bring my inhalers and my nebulizers. I am an adult. These people who expect others to adhere to their rules under those circumstances are ridiculous.
For the 4th or maybe 5th time now, a mask would not do anything. Are you purposely ignoring me saying this???

Yes you bring your inahaler, but guess what, people are not allowed to smoke on planes so you really dont have to worry about inhaling smoke on a smoke free plane.

I am sure the person can see a doctor prior to a flight and obtain any necessary meds to prevent allergy.
Oh you are sure are you? So there is this magic cure that people can take now that prevents the allergy. I am sure the people who suffer this will be happy to know that. It will be news to them too since no one else in the world seems to know it exists.

allergies

For the 4th or maybe 5th time now, a mask would not do anything. Are you purposely ignoring me saying this???

Yes you bring your inahaler, but guess what, people are not allowed to smoke on planes so you really dont have to worry about inhaling smoke on a smoke free plane.

If masks don't help- maybe a doctor before flight should be seen for prevention.
Actually I do have to worry about bad air on the plane (its recirculated air and full of germs) and people who smell like ashtrays while on board. I prepare for this. Even 3rd hand smoke makes me very ill. So, I have to take the appropriate steps. I keep my face covered as much as possible.

What exactly do you think seeing a doctor before hand would do? The doctor will say yes you have a nut allergy, don't have any contact with nuts. There is not some magic spell they can cast that would keep the person safe. Visiting a doctor before hand would do nothing.

Pretzel packs have nut particles, so reads the label on the pretzels on a recent AirTran flight. Peanut butter crackers are sold on Spirit flights as well as other airlines. I am sure the person can see a doctor prior to a flight and obtain any necessary meds to prevent allergy. Soon, the airlines will forbid any food on flights. (Catering to the people who do not prepare)

Clearly you do not understand food allergies.

smoke allergy

I didn't even know a person could be allergic to smoke :huh:

My father became allergic to shellfish when he got older (cripes I hope it never happens to me). He wound up in the hospital one night from eating fries that were deep fried in the same oil as shrimp. He learned the hard way to avoid anything that might be remotely connected to shellfish.

Many of us are allergic to smoke. Its very bothersome, indeed. I never dated smokers and refused to marry one. Thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom