"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #51
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Bravo? Really? That's cold.

I'd gladly put my snack away if the alternative was sending a toddler into deadly anaphalactic shock at 35,000 feet.

Maybe the person was wearing a mask but their mother packed the epipen in her luggage by mistake?
There are some circumstances where this may be necessary as you stated.

While I feel allergy protection is the responsibility of the sufferer, I would not put another person's life in danger for the sake of a snack (or even a meal)!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

This is an MSG thread, right?

Has anyone been to Madison Square Garden?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #53
Senior Cook

Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again since you do not seem to be reading...Wearing a mask will not prevent most people who have nut allergies from having a reaction.

Also, most, if not all airlines have stopped using nuts in many of their flights for this very reason.

Pretzel packs have nut particles, so reads the label on the pretzels on a recent AirTran flight. Peanut butter crackers are sold on Spirit flights as well as other airlines. I am sure the person can see a doctor prior to a flight and obtain any necessary meds to prevent allergy. Soon, the airlines will forbid any food on flights. (Catering to the people who do not prepare)
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Why don't these people wear masks and be prepared? I have flown to plenty of funerals and I always bring my inhalers and my nebulizers. I am an adult. These people who expect others to adhere to their rules under those circumstances are ridiculous.
For the 4th or maybe 5th time now, a mask would not do anything. Are you purposely ignoring me saying this???

Yes you bring your inahaler, but guess what, people are not allowed to smoke on planes so you really dont have to worry about inhaling smoke on a smoke free plane.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #55
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I am sure the person can see a doctor prior to a flight and obtain any necessary meds to prevent allergy.
Oh you are sure are you? So there is this magic cure that people can take now that prevents the allergy. I am sure the people who suffer this will be happy to know that. It will be news to them too since no one else in the world seems to know it exists.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #56
Senior Cook

allergies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
For the 4th or maybe 5th time now, a mask would not do anything. Are you purposely ignoring me saying this???

Yes you bring your inahaler, but guess what, people are not allowed to smoke on planes so you really dont have to worry about inhaling smoke on a smoke free plane.
If masks don't help- maybe a doctor before flight should be seen for prevention.
Actually I do have to worry about bad air on the plane (its recirculated air and full of germs) and people who smell like ashtrays while on board. I prepare for this. Even 3rd hand smoke makes me very ill. So, I have to take the appropriate steps. I keep my face covered as much as possible.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #57
Chief Eating Officer

What exactly do you think seeing a doctor before hand would do? The doctor will say yes you have a nut allergy, don't have any contact with nuts. There is not some magic spell they can cast that would keep the person safe. Visiting a doctor before hand would do nothing.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

MSG thread! Let's stay on topic and drop the differences.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Pretzel packs have nut particles, so reads the label on the pretzels on a recent AirTran flight. Peanut butter crackers are sold on Spirit flights as well as other airlines. I am sure the person can see a doctor prior to a flight and obtain any necessary meds to prevent allergy. Soon, the airlines will forbid any food on flights. (Catering to the people who do not prepare)

Clearly you do not understand food allergies.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #60
Senior Cook

smoke allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I didn't even know a person could be allergic to smoke

My father became allergic to shellfish when he got older (cripes I hope it never happens to me). He wound up in the hospital one night from eating fries that were deep fried in the same oil as shrimp. He learned the hard way to avoid anything that might be remotely connected to shellfish.

Many of us are allergic to smoke. Its very bothersome, indeed. I never dated smokers and refused to marry one. Thats for sure.