"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #81
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post

Food allergies are a major problem in my family, my sister has the worst of them, mine are less severe than hers but still significant. This is why I am asking questions here about subbing for processed ingredients, I'm trying to make more things from scratch because I'm finding that the less processed foods I buy the healthier I am overall and the fewer symptoms I experience associated with my food allergies.

I'm not a doctor and I'm not an expert on this subject, nor do I claim to be, but I do know what affects my body....that's all I've got to work with.
Since I have drastically reduced processed foods in my diet, I have noticed an improvement in how I feel, how my skin looks etc...
__________________

__________________
bakechef is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #82
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Since I have drastically reduced processed foods in my diet, I have noticed an improvement in how I feel, how my skin looks etc...

Holy Mackerel!!! You mean I would feel worse and my skin would look worse if I used processed foods? Woe is me.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #83
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Well, I did not check my sources with the internet, but I'm sure you can find the studies through medical journals. Or, even easier, check with your nutritionist and endocrinologist - which is how I first heard of them back when I was diagnosed with diabetes. Of course, after reading your note, I had to google too, and here are the first two results that I got. Neither source is what I would call non-credible, though there were plenty of others in the 484,000 hits were cause for giggles. So...research is out there. I'd love to read the rest of this one. Now, it does not say specifically MSG, but glutamate is the G in MSG and the MS is mono-sodium. It breaks down to one sodium and glutamates. Of course, research is still on-going, but it has been out there for a very long time.



I'm trying to think of a good analogy. Okay, it is like saying that a spoon of sugar is actually ice cream. The sugar is a part of the ice cream, like an amino acid is a part of a protein; but sugar is not ice cream and amino acids are not proteins. Proteins are macro-molecules and an amino acid is an itty-bitty thing by comparison...though...when I had to memorize their entire structures I would not have called them itty or bitty. However, now that the nightmares have ended, I'll go with that. When you look at the reactions that people tend to have with MSG, (feeling unwell, headaches, etc.), it seems to fall in line with the sensitivity classification which is what it would be based on its chemistry.
Kathleen, I appreciate your trying to find some sources that implicate MSG with an insulin increase, but none of the three to which you linked specify MSG at all. As for checking with my nutritionist, I'm afraid that would be impossible. But I will definitely ask my internist and my endocrinologist.

I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that if it were scientifically proved, it would be very simple to find such studies online. I could not. So my instinct tells me that it is one more myth among a sea of them out there.
__________________
suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #84
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I know it's been said before but NEVER EVER, EVER call someone on their food allergies. A friend is allergic to black pepper (never heard that one before) and his new girlfriend didn't believe there was such an allergy so she snuck some in the first time she cooked a meal for him. He ended up in the hospital...

MSG causes migrainous-type headaches in me. Got on a ramen noodle kick once and was eating them almost every day for lunch, then had severe headaches later in the afternoon into late evening. Finally figured it out after Craig pointed out to me that the noodles probably had MSG in them. Checked the label and sure enough. Stopped eating them and the headaches went away. It's apparently a sensitivity though because I can have a little MSG in my food once in a while and it doesn't bother me.

Karen
That describes me almost exactly. I can tolerate a bit. But a lot will give me an intense headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Kathleen, I appreciate your trying to find some sources that implicate MSG with an insulin increase, but none of the three to which you linked specify MSG at all. As for checking with my nutritionist, I'm afraid that would be impossible. But I will definitely ask my internist and my endocrinologist.

I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that if it were scientifically proved, it would be very simple to find such studies online. I could not. So my instinct tells me that it is one more myth among a sea of them out there.
My first google search turned up 484000 results- so pretty simple!

I suspect that you are not reading/comprehending what I've written nor are you understanding the studies. MSG breaks down to sodium and glutamate. The glutamate causes the reactions described and research on the effects of glutamate is substantial. I'm sure some studies are right and some are wrong. Research is always on-going. (Eggs use to be considered bad, and now studies say they are good for you.) In any case, I will not break it down for you any more than that as high school science texts should be able to clarify your MSG/Glutamate confusion at this point. My apologies.
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #85
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Kathleen, I understand quite well. You cannot point me to a scientifically proven, credible, and accepted study that definitively demonstrates that the additive MSG as produced and used as a flavor enhancer increases insulin to a degree that would be dangerous for diabetics.

The sites that I have checked out are pure junk science and fear-mongering and have MSG causing everything from headaches to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and ALS.

Certainly, the jury is not out. We may learn more in the future. Here (link) is the most comprehensive page I can find that doesn't use inflammatory language and that actually cites studies.
__________________
suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #86
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Kathleen, I understand quite well. You cannot point me to a scientifically proven, credible, and accepted study that definitively demonstrates that the additive MSG as produced and used as a flavor enhancer increases insulin to a degree that would be dangerous for diabetics.

The sites that I have checked out are pure junk science and fear-mongering and have MSG causing everything from headaches to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and ALS.

Certainly, the jury is not out. We may learn more in the future. Here (link) is the most comprehensive page I can find that doesn't use inflammatory language and that actually cites studies.
I'm not saying MSG is bad or good. I'm saying some people have sensitivities and some do not. I'm also saying that MSG breaks down to sodium and glutamate, and that glutamate has been proven to do several things including to stimulate the pancreas to increase insulin production. (That in itself is neither good or bad: It depends on the person involved and, in my case, it would be useful if I did not seem to get headaches after eating things which have a lot of MSG in them.) Again, to use an analogy, MSG is to glutamate what carbohydrates are to glucose.

As far as wikipedia goes, it is like any other source online. Thanks, but I prefer to read the actual studies from reputable research centers for my source. I did not mean to offend you, but your replies indicate that you either have not read what I've written or you do not comprehend. In either case, or neither case, this is the last time I intend to respond to you on this issue as I had only hoped to give some insight and clarity on allergies/sensitivities and to offer a few think-abouts.
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #87
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I'm not saying MSG is bad or good. I'm saying some people have sensitivities and some do not. I'm also saying that MSG breaks down to sodium and glutamate, and that glutamate has been proven to do several things including to stimulate the pancreas to increase insulin production. (That in itself is neither good or bad: It depends on the person involved and, in my case, it would be useful if I did not seem to get headaches after eating things which have a lot of MSG in them.) Again, to use an analogy, MSG is to glutamate what carbohydrates are to glucose.

As far as wikipedia goes, it is like any other source online. Thanks, but I prefer to read the actual studies from reputable research centers for my source. I did not mean to offend you, but your replies indicate that you either have not read what I've written or you do not comprehend. In either case, or neither case, this is the last time I intend to respond to you on this issue as I had only hoped to give some insight and clarity on allergies/sensitivities and to offer a few think-abouts.
You're making several leaps of logic to come to your conclusion. Again, there is not one credible study that is considered conclusive or the gold standard in this area that specifies that MSG in its form or in its breakdown causes any harm whatsoever, including causing a rise in insulin.

And yes, I pretty much knew that my wiki link would elicit the exact reaction you had. That's a shame because it refers to and analyzes the most prevalent studies conducted to date.
__________________
suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #88
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,286
Okay, you both have had your say. Friendly discussion, please!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #89
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Kathleen, I understand quite well. You cannot point me to a scientifically proven, credible, and accepted study that definitively demonstrates that the additive MSG as produced and used as a flavor enhancer increases insulin to a degree that would be dangerous for diabetics.

The sites that I have checked out are pure junk science and fear-mongering and have MSG causing everything from headaches to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and ALS.

Certainly, the jury is not out. We may learn more in the future. Here (link) is the most comprehensive page I can find that doesn't use inflammatory language and that actually cites studies.
Edit to say "Certainly, the jury is still out."
__________________
suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
...As far as wikipedia goes, it is like any other source online...
I love reading statements like this... online.
It's like the electronic version of do as I say, not as I do.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.