MSG? Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is advised that pregnant women avoid it. It's bad for my son because if it's not made in the U.S. it usually contains gluten, which he cannot eat. Other than that I don't know.

It's a common ingredient in Asian cooking. In one form or another it's in most processed foods.

A very small percentage of the population has an allergic reaction to it.

It intensifies the flavors of the ingredients in a recipe.

I don;t think there is anything wrong with using it.

Sprinkled on dog food, it is supposed to curb coprophagia.
I have not found this to be the case :(

Check this out.

A couple of decades ago, everyone had this complaint with Chinese restaurants to the point where many stopped using MSG in their cooking. Subsequent evidence suggests much of the issue was psychosomatic.

i have prolly had it and am fine with it . It doesnt harm people that badly right

I'm one of the few who reacts to MSG if too much is used in a dish. I notice that it only happens at a Chinese/Asian restaurant after I partake of a particularly tasty dish. The thought of MSG does not even occur to me so I don't agree with it being psychosomatic. I just suddenly get a strong dull throbbing and ache in my head that extends down to my neck and shoulders, and I have a very heavy feeling in my chest. I also feel very hot all of a sudden so I sweat and my heart palpitates. I usually have to drink a lot of tea or liquid. The symptoms go away after fifteen minutes or so.

I was totally against MSG before because of these incidents but after reading about it some more, and discovering that MSG is present in natural sources like mushrooms, seaweed, cheese, etc, I've decided MSG is not necessarily bad at all. I won't have any qualms using it in small quantities.

...The thought of MSG does not even occur to me so I don't agree with it being psychosomatic....

I would never suggest your symptoms, or any reactions at all to MSG, were not real. That would be totally inappropriate.

In separate posts I stated that a small percentage of the population has a reaction to it. That was also clearly stated in the link I posted.

In another post, I made the statement that a portion of the reactions to MSG in Chinese restaurants several decades ago appeared to be a psychosomatic one.

MSG = good in small amounts.

I use it all the time.

MSG and naturally occurring glutimates bring out UMAMI, which is the 5th flavor sensation humans can detect. Umami = savory. MSg will enhance the savory flavor of food.

There's a big ol thread somewhere here discussing MSG. IIRC, Goya Sazon and some meat tenderizers have MSG.

Personally, for me, it is bad. It is the only thing I know that gives me a headache. So I avoid it like the plague. and I use almost no processed foods.

I also rarely get Chinese takeout from the little places in the neighborhood, because even though they say no, they all use it.

The jury is out on the long-term effects of msg. Glutamates that are naturally produced by various foods are not the issue. The chemically created stuff (Ac'cent and assorted brands) are. Follow your own brain.

Back
Top Bottom