MSG? Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MSG is not a drug. I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is incorrect.

I did read your link. However I don't know who Alice is and I believe she is mistaken.

I would, however, believe that the manufacturer of the product would not hesitate to claim MSG's virtues as a meat tenderizer if it actually was effective as one.

Here's a link to a site that promotes MSG.
You just aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm saying BACK IN THE 70'S it was billed as a tenderizer. You stated you hadn't heard that, I gave you a link to a Columbia University website that indicated it was believed to be one BACK IN THE 60'S and 50'S. My point was, and still is, that I have heard of it said that way, I gave you a link to a site that had also heard it billed that way. I never, EVER, said MSG, I said Ac'cent. A specific product that contains MSG. Not MSG specifically.

Advertising of things change over the decades. Look at cigarettes or booze. Things change.

Ac'cent is pure MSG, nothing else added. By saying Ac'cent you are saying MSG specifically.
Sorry, GB's but that's not true. I was addressing specific advertising and my Ac'cent does list two ingredients. As I said, it's at the other house so I can't tell you what it is right now, but I will by the weekend.

Interesting Breezy. I am sitting here looking directly at the ingredient list, yet you are telling me that I am wrong even though your bottle is no where near you.

Here is a photo of what I am looking at. Notice that it even says ingredient (singular) not ingredients (plural).

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 189
...I use Accent, an MSG product to tenderize food and have never had a problem...

I based my comment on this post of yours where you say you use it as a tenderizer (present tense).

Even the MSG promotion site says specifically it is not a tenderizer. Being a meat tenderizer is not a negative they would want to hide similar to the effects of smoking that you brought up.

Based on how it works, I agree with him. It causes the nerves in your taste buds to fire. Sounds like drug to me.

That is a unique way to classify what is or is not a drug. MSG stimulates the taste perception Umami (the 5th taste sensation) through G-protein coupled receptors. So, if you are going to use that as the criteria for what is a drug there are a few problems since Sweet and Bitter are also tastes that are perceived through the GPCRs. Oh, Salty and Sour are perceived through ion channels.

MSG, sodium chloride (salt) and potassium chloride (used as a substitute for salt in sodium restricted diets) are use for their "flavor enhancing" properties.

But, they are also used as drugs ... MSG is added to IV solutions in treating some forms of encephalopathy (degeneration of brain function primarily secondary to advanced liver disease - hepatic encephalopathy) - and sodium and potassium chlorides are used in treading some cardiac problems - or any other electrolyte disturbances.

re some other posts:

I believe some people can be sensative to too much MSG - just like some people can't handle too large of a dose of capsaicin.

I do not know of any properties of MSG that would act as a meat tenderizing agent. The fact that Accent is located next to the meat tenderizers, like Adolph's meat tenderizer, doesn't mean any more than the fact that both are usually located with the salt, pepper, and other dried herbs and spices. My dad uses to use both Accent and Adolph/s on steaks - I doubt he would have done that if one would have accomplished both functions.

After reading some of the links posted, it does not appear to be a tenderizer, but I certainly perceived it to be one. My bad ;)

We avoid it because we are sensitive to it. It's actually very prevalent in most processed foods... which is why we avoid processed and fast foods. It's considered and excitotoxin.... it can cause heart arrhythmia in otherwise healthy people. If a person can avoid it, why not? If food is well prepared, you don't need any excitotoxins to make it taste better. Let your food taste good on its own merits.

Here's a link to info about MSG's potential danger: MSG: If it's Safe, Why do They Disguise it on Labels? 4/26/05
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I'm also sensitive to the saltpeter they use in corned beef - it gives me migraines. The trouble is I love corned beef, but I can not longer eat it unless I make it myself.

Sorry, GB's but that's not true. I was addressing specific advertising and my Ac'cent does list two ingredients. As I said, it's at the other house so I can't tell you what it is right now, but I will by the weekend.

I wrote to the company that makes Ac'cent and asked
GB said:
I see that Ac'cent only lists MSG on the ingredient list. Has it
ever contained anything else?

Here is the response I received

BGFoods said:
The only ingredient in Accent is Monosodium Glutamate.
It's a flavor enhancer consisting of crystals of monosodium glutamate
It has never contained any other ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom