"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
When I was ill my doctor put me on some very expensive vitamins. He said that with vitamins you get what you pay for and the cheap ones just get wee-d out. He also told me every woman should taks a suypplement called feragrad-C when she menstruates which has the correct balance of iron and vit c for the irons absorption. I have to say, I was sceptical, but the feragrad-c makes a whole lot of difference when I take it.
LuLu, what's the difference you experience?

Old 08-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #22
Master Chef

Don't laugh but I take childrens chewable vitamins with calcium. I have a hard time shallowing the regular ones. It seems to work.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
LuLu, what's the difference you experience?
A lot more energy, mainly. Reaching the end of the day at the end of the day, rather than mid afternoon! Also because less exhausted I feel less emotional at certain times of the month...which is really when I take it mainly now.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
A lot more energy, mainly. Reaching the end of the day at the end of the day, rather than mid afternoon! Also because less exhausted I feel less emotional at certain times of the month...which is really when I take it mainly now.
Will it help with irrational nit picking?

I do thank you for the tip. Do you take it at the beginning of menses or a week before?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #25
Head Chef

I need the reminder...but a more organised person would probably prepare before. Basically its an iron supplement, but the vt c is EXACTLY the proportion needed for the corect absorbtion of the iron. I originally took it continuously for a few months and then reduced to two weeks a month, and now during and at other times when I feel particularly exhausted. It is one of the few supplements I have taken that has made a tangible difference. I hope if you try it does the same for you!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I have so much trouble remembering my vitamins, especially since you're not supposed to take more than 600 mg of calcium at one time, so that means remembering twice a day to take vitamins. Maybe I need to move them into the kitchen and put them out with dinner.

BC
Old 09-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #27
Head Chef

Smile South African Hoodie Gordonii

I ordered a box of Hoodia lemon lite soft chews. It is really supposed to significantly reduce your appitite. The box says Hoodia DEX-L10 Gordonii.

I should begin taking them because I really want to lose weight.

Have a very happy Saturday.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Absolutely, it works!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Breezy:

I agree. The Kirkland Signature brand has been a pleasant surprise for us for many different items.
i agree. i wear kirkland jeans, or i wear nothing at all.

lol, i really do. how can you go wrong at 12 bucks a pair?

getting back on the thread: every few years i throw out a large bottle of expired, well intended multi-vitamins. i'm just not disciplined enough to keep taking them with a constantly changing work schedule.

i've heard that pill multivitamins aren't necessarily that good for older folks, and those with poor digestive systems. not sure if it's true, or an urban legend type thing, but supposedly, septic tank cleaners have reported seeing lots of partially digested pills in their tanks. since the pills are passing thru without being digested, they're not doing their work.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
septic tank cleaners have reported seeing lots of partially digested pills in their tanks. since the pills are passing thru without being digested, they're not doing their work.
Buckytom, that has to be myth rather than fact. I can't believe septic tank cleaners find pills in the gloop they have to clean out and even if they do, I can't imagine they can identify them as vitamin pills. If anything, they're more likely to be birth control pills from women with upset stomachs!

As for vitamin supplements, lulu is partly right in that you pay for what you get. The most expensive supplements are slow-release. So you're more likely to benefit from them than have all the vitamins washed out in your urine.