Multi vitamins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lulu said:
When I was ill my doctor put me on some very expensive vitamins. He said that with vitamins you get what you pay for and the cheap ones just get wee-d out. He also told me every woman should taks a suypplement called feragrad-C when she menstruates which has the correct balance of iron and vit c for the irons absorption. I have to say, I was sceptical, but the feragrad-c makes a whole lot of difference when I take it.

LuLu, what's the difference you experience?

Don't laugh but I take childrens chewable vitamins with calcium. I have a hard time shallowing the regular ones. It seems to work. :rolleyes:

VeraBlue said:
LuLu, what's the difference you experience?

A lot more energy, mainly. Reaching the end of the day at the end of the day, rather than mid afternoon! Also because less exhausted I feel less emotional at certain times of the month...which is really when I take it mainly now.

lulu said:
A lot more energy, mainly. Reaching the end of the day at the end of the day, rather than mid afternoon! Also because less exhausted I feel less emotional at certain times of the month...which is really when I take it mainly now.

Will it help with irrational nit picking?:ROFLMAO:

I do thank you for the tip. Do you take it at the beginning of menses or a week before?

I need the reminder...but a more organised person would probably prepare before. Basically its an iron supplement, but the vt c is EXACTLY the proportion needed for the corect absorbtion of the iron. I originally took it continuously for a few months and then reduced to two weeks a month, and now during and at other times when I feel particularly exhausted. It is one of the few supplements I have taken that has made a tangible difference. I hope if you try it does the same for you!

I have so much trouble remembering my vitamins, especially since you're not supposed to take more than 600 mg of calcium at one time, so that means remembering twice a day to take vitamins. Maybe I need to move them into the kitchen and put them out with dinner.

BC

South African Hoodie Gordonii

I ordered a box of Hoodia lemon lite soft chews. It is really supposed to significantly reduce your appitite. The box says Hoodia DEX-L10 Gordonii.

I should begin taking them because I really want to lose weight.

Have a very happy Saturday.

Jill and Jolie

Andy M. said:
Breezy:

I agree. The Kirkland Signature brand has been a pleasant surprise for us for many different items.

i agree. i wear kirkland jeans, or i wear nothing at all. :cool:

lol, i really do. how can you go wrong at 12 bucks a pair?

getting back on the thread: every few years i throw out a large bottle of expired, well intended multi-vitamins. i'm just not disciplined enough to keep taking them with a constantly changing work schedule.

i've heard that pill multivitamins aren't necessarily that good for older folks, and those with poor digestive systems. not sure if it's true, or an urban legend type thing, but supposedly, septic tank cleaners have reported seeing lots of partially digested pills in their tanks. since the pills are passing thru without being digested, they're not doing their work.

buckytom said:
septic tank cleaners have reported seeing lots of partially digested pills in their tanks. since the pills are passing thru without being digested, they're not doing their work.

Buckytom, that has to be myth rather than fact. I can't believe septic tank cleaners find pills in the gloop they have to clean out :sick: and even if they do, I can't imagine they can identify them as vitamin pills. If anything, they're more likely to be birth control pills from women with upset stomachs!

As for vitamin supplements, lulu is partly right in that you pay for what you get. The most expensive supplements are slow-release. So you're more likely to benefit from them than have all the vitamins washed out in your urine.

While vitamins and nutritional supplements are over-the-counter ... if you are on ANY type of medication .... talk to your doctor before taking them (and just pray he/she is up on their pharmacology)! If you're not going to do that, talk to your pharmacist (not the pharmacy helper - ask to talk to a real pharmacist) and let him/her know what medications you are on (all of them) and what vitamins (especially if they are a multi-vitamins with minerals) you want to take.

Some vitamins and minerals can interfere with some medications, either slowing their absorption rate or totally binding to them and causing them to be excreted from the body without being absorbed at all, or only partially!

Going back to something Buckytom said - older people are the ones that are more likely to have problems from "multi-vitamin and mineral" tabs designed for older people,since they are actually more likely to be taking the medications that the vitamins will cause problems with.

Oh - and as for when to take your vitamins ... for the best absorption and least amount of nausea ... take at the end of a meal. This is the same with any medication that says to take with food ... you need the food in the stomach first to buffer the medication. Many older people who take the pills before eating can become so nauseated that they loose their appetite and become malnourished.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom