"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 01-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
anything with fiber in it will fill you up, kylie. I agree on drinking lots of water. If that grosses you out, you can probably find some packets of lemon/lime or whatever flavoring to make it more palatable.

you are doing great.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
Master Chef
I think you need a hard-boiled egg or some low-fat cottage cheese. Your body is craving something that it's not getting, and I suspect that something is protein.
Even when you are losing weight, you want to maintain some muscle.
I've found that drinking a glass of skim milk helps a lot.
What I must do is quit dunking Oreo's in it.

Have you looked into the sugar free Jello? It's very good, and there are all kinds of no-sugar-added canned fruits you can use in it. Drain the fruit, and use the juice as part of the cold liquid called for in the Jello. Jellow also has protein in it.

My mom used to eat cottage cheese and fruit for supper a lot. (My dad worked second shifts, and we had our big meal at noon.) That, like the Jello, is something you could take in a little plastic bowl.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
Executive Chef
kyles, we're doing a 'modified Atkins' right now, so I do understand about munchies!

Peanut butter and celery works for me. Also, I made up a sort of 'tuna pate' or tuna spread - a can of tuna, a little cream cheese (low fat), onion, celery, and spices (did some jalepeno that was great!), and whiz it all up in the processor. Makes a great 'dip' for those crunchy celery sticks, and satisfies both my crunchy need as well as gets some good protein in!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
Master Chef

I keep nuts at my desk at work.... any kind... pecan, walnuts, pumpkin seeds.. (got a great recipe for these) pine nuts... when I get the munchies mid afternoon... I go for the nuts.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I'm finding that yogurt and oatcake crackers (low in fat) are a great nibble in between meals that quenches both my loves of sweet and salty/crispy. I'm also eating wholemeal (yeast-free) grainery bread, which has very little fat with either some low fat cheese, jam or a mushed up banana on it. For a slightly more "fatty" snack (though still very healthy) I love to mix cashews and raisins or other dried fruit together

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 AM   #16
Contest Winner
Think protein for mid-afternoon snacks. If you have a carb laden snack mid-day it will only weigh you down. Protein based ones will help keep you alert and take away the "munchies."

Some ideas:
-mini tins of tuna
-veggie sticks w/ hummus or low fat cream cheese (you can easily carry veggies in a ziplock and some hummus in a small container)
-cottage cheese (can be carried in a small container)
-a bit of nut butter w/ a few crackers or mini rice cakes

grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote