"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 01-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
Munchies recipes needed

I need a bit of a refreshier course here! I have started exercising at lunch time. Straight after this I eat my lunch, which varies, salads, wraps with lots of salad and protein etc. This is fine.

Come 3.30 in the afternoon I lack energy and want to snack The c word is the most readily available substance and we don't want that!

So healthy munchy ideas please, needs to be portable and not require any equipment, so protein shakes etc are out.

Thanks in advance.

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I enjoy an apple with maybe a small bit of cheese (or without), or citrus. I have made a committment to eat a banana every day. I'm keeping all my snacks healthy. Good time of the year for citrus and apples - enjoy them!

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Sous Chef
You have worked so hard. I have been following your weigh-ins. Well done Kyles, you look great. Try stuff like fresh veggies like carrots and cucumbers in a garlic dip.watercress is a g8 one made into soup just waiting just in case you need it. My other suggestion would be that you drink water first.I know that sometimes when we are thirsty, our body's confuse that for hunger, so try drinking water first and if you still feel the same after 20 mins, then grab a healthy bite or a naughty one from time to time.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
Fruits and veggies. Apples, oranges, grapes (frozen grapes are great for dieting), bananas, celery, carrots, tomatoes, etc. Cheese is also a great idea.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen
I'd go to the market, and find many veggies, then julienne them all, add some grapes for sweetness, and package them into little ziploc bags. Whenever you need to bring along a snack, just grab a bag and throw it in your purse.

You also may consider cutting a bagel into quarters, and bringing along a quarter with your veggies. The hard chewing on it will probably satisfy your need for snacks!
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
In addition to fruits/veggies, low-fat Triscuits with natural peanut butter are great and only 2 or 3 are quite filling. Almonds are good too if you want something crunchy; maybe some low-fat granola would work for you also.
valnaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook
Carrot sticks or a small banana. Oranges or apples also make good snacks, but I always end up without a knife or covered with juice.
I find carrots to be the most filling though.
marmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
How about some dried fruits like figs or dates, together with nuts... they are very tasty and satisfying, maybe not the choice for the lowest calories but so much better for you than some other junk foods...
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I love baby carrot sticks with fat free salad dressing as a dip, celery and peanut butter is good,also may i sugest low fat sugar free yogurt with freash sliced fruit...and don't forget to drink your water...
kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
mushrooms... red pepper slices.....grape tomatoes.... dried apples or pineapple

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote