"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 12-04-2006, 05:39 AM   #11
Master Chef
Everyone is different when it comes to diverticulitis. My mom could eat spicy, but not meat, nuts, seeds of any kind or dairy products.

Remember to seed your cucumbers and tomatoes when you make a salad.

Avoid berries in your desert, since they tend to have those little seeds.

Starch is a GOOD thing. Potatoes, pasta, rice.

Mom can't have meat itself, but likes the flavor, so I use a lot of stocks and broth to cook in. In other words, a rice pilaf cooked in a good chicken stock.

I made sunday dinner every week for 6 years. You cannot make that many meals and make every single dish one that every single person can eat all of it. I would make sure that one or two dishes are ones your friend can eat. I'd roast something (beef, pork, or fowl of some kind) with carrots, potatoes, and onions. Make a gravy or jus from the pan drippings. A salad dressed with a bit of olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice. I like to do a relish tray for sitting around with drinks before. Since 'tis the season, a pie for desert (again, apple, pumpkin, etc; avoid the berries or cream based pies). Have vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to top it, separately. Dairy bothers some people, not others, but keeping it optional makes it so that everyone can partake or not.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
Sous Chef
They found out I have diverticulosis when I had my last flex sig. The doctor told me: no salads, no nuts, no seeds. I must have given him the "if looks could kill" look because he retracted his statement and told me to eat what I liked and "don't cry when it flares up" kind of lecture.

That was over 4 years ago - I must be lucky - no flare ups. I eat spicy spicy food, nuts, seeds, tomatoes, cucumbers (without seeding). But - I must say that we eat such a wide variety of food that I think it helps.

For your dinner I would consider a nice clear soup (egg drop or lemon garlic), roasted chicken with roasted red potatoes, carrots, and pearl onions. Serve with nice dinner rolls (NOT whole grain) or biscuits, and a chocolate mousse or ice cream for dessert.

I'm just lookin' for my "cheese"!
Harborwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
And we may need to find out if it is "diverticulitis" or "diverticulosis". They may have similarities in diet but they are different manifestations of a disease with differing treatments.
I continue to say, consult with the person to see what they can/will/want to eat.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Not that it is my favorite ... but tofu is a good source of protein and I do not believe it has any fiber. It also can take on any flavor you add to it. I discovered this due to living so close to Santa Cruz CA... Lots of Veggies and Vegans. I have discovered you can make a wonderful Strougonf, sorry about the spelling :) and Dolmas, oops I think the grape leaves would be out? Also I think that a wonderful salmon or any fish with white rice and mabe some peas would be OK?
Susan ..... I just love to feed people.... One of lifes true joys!!!
Galleywench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Head Chef
My understanding from my friend is that she has had the condition of deverticulosis for many years. Diverticulitis occurs when she has a flare up.
I am not trying to find out how to treat the disease, her doctors are taking care of the. She will be having a resection in the near future. In the meantime, I was looking for ideas for things that she can have. She eats very small meals of mostly soft foods. No fiber, and not too spicy.I have decided to make a meat pie,( I asked, and she said o.k.) and a spinach souffle. Dessert will be pumpkin pie.

Thanks to all of you again, for your advice and ideas.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Sounds just right. And she has said it is too. Good job.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #17
Master Chef
Sounds great. My mom would also like a bit of nondairy whipped cream sub to top the pie.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote