"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I tried the steel cut oats this morning. It doesn't mix as well with wheat toast and green tea as do the rolled oats, but it was good.
But it is my understanding that steel cut oats are even better for you health wise than rolled oats. Wouldn't that be considered cheating on eating totally healthy? It sounds like you are concerned with you trying to make your food taste good instead of just being healthy.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
I just think it's sad that some folks are willing to settle for health problems instead of finding the strength to change and avoid such things.
How do you connect foods that taste good with health problems? As others have noted, it is entirely possible to have a healthy diet of foods that are enjoyable to eat. Sharing a good meal with friends and family is one of life’s great joys.

You seem to have a viewpoint that is at odds with the rest of the members of this forum. Kind of like joining a church and preaching atheism.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I was in New Orleans for our daughter's wedding. A few of us went to the Quarter to have dinner one night at Mulate's. There was a convention of Herbalife inductees across the street at the Morial center. One was standing outside the restaurant, insulting people, telling them how they were going to die, calling them names. You remind me of them. I tend to be rude when dealing with those that think their "stuff" don't stink in conjunction with a superiority complex.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:19 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I was in New Orleans for our daughter's wedding. A few of us went to the Quarter to have dinner one night at Mulate's. There was a convention of Herbalife inductees across the street at the Morial center. One was standing outside the restaurant, insulting people, telling them how they were going to die, calling them names. You remind me of them. I tend to be rude when dealing with those that think their "stuff" don't stink in conjunction with a superiority complex.

Thank you my friend. Well said!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:43 AM   #35
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
I trust myself quite well. My favorite foods are fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and legumes.. and I eat them all the time.

My favorite foods were different years ago, I used to choose foods based solely on taste. I'm now choosing foods based on nutritional value.

I enjoy being able to run 3 or 4 miles at a time without stopping. So I choose foods that are conducive to an athletic lifestyle.
You use the phrase "favourite foods" so I am guessing that this implies some enjoyment of taste rather than just eating them for fuel? I am sure you realise that healthy foods can also be tasty foods?
Old 08-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
...My favorite foods were different years ago, I used to choose foods based solely on taste. I'm now choosing foods based on nutritional value...
Those two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Quote:
...I enjoy being able to run 3 or 4 miles at a time without stopping. So I choose foods that are conducive to an athletic lifestyle.
Our neighbor back home is a marathoner. His goal is to run one in each of the 50 states - he's completed around 40 give-or-take. Since he cuts back on his conditioning runs in the winter he plays on a seniors' hockey team. He's 6' 2 1/2", I'd guess around 170-175 pounds, He's a healthy 60+ years old (he just "bragged" recently of his good numbers).

We've been friends for over a quarter-century and have never seen him fat, or winded, or known him to be sick. Still, he's been know to enjoy pizza, beer, the occasional steak. Still healthy. And happy. Always smiling, whether he just finished running for miles, or he's seeing friends after a long time. He enjoys life and is happy. You don't look so happy in the photo you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
...I am sure you realise that healthy foods can also be tasty foods?
Or maybe he doesn't.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

i believe in a quote that said " eat to live not live to eat "

but nothing more important than a healthy breakfast ..thank you :)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by anas94 View Post
i believe in a quote that said " eat to live not live to eat "

but nothing more important than a healthy breakfast ..thank you :)
Welcome to DC! Nothing stopping you from following that quote. Personally, I fully intend to enjoy what I'm "eating to live".
Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Cereal products is my favorite breakfast. i daily eat cereal in my breakfast with juice or coffee. my favorite cereal breakfast is corn and choco flakes, rice crispy, oats, jumbo oats and oat rings.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

A pitcher of bloody Mary.
A settin of eggs,
A pound of bacon,
A loaf of toast,
A pan of biscuits,
A bucket of grits
A Quart of Gravy.
A pot of coffee.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Closed Thread