"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior Cook

My favorite healthy breakfast

One of the things that contributed to my losing 140 pounds is healthy food and I begin each day with a healthy breakfast.

1/4 cup rolled oats in 1/2 cup water cooked per the label directions
2 slices lightly toasted whole wheat bread
16 ounce glass water

Once I began focusing on nutrition, rather than taste, I found I lost weight much faster. I have been eating this type of breakfast for years now and I quite enjoy it while reading and catching up on email and forum posts.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Head Chef

Thumbs up

I like oats a lot too but prefer the organic pinhead kind (having the whole grain) and make it into a porridge adding oatgerm (can't get the organic version). When done/thickened, I often add organic dessicated coconut and sunflower seeds.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Head Chef

Here's my favorite healthy breakfast.

Bacon. 4-6 pieces

2 over easy eggs fried in above bacon fat.

Buttered toast or English muffin.

Tall glass of cold whole milk.

Do I eat it every day?

No.

But it is my favorite.

And it is healthy.

Usually breakfast for me is Coffee and a small sandwich of whatever I've made for lunch eaten as I head down the driveway.

Nutrition is good but taste plays a part. As in if it doesn't agree with the taste buds it won't be eaten.

I was a 1 meal a day person for years but as I've aged I find that a little something in the stomach keeps me from being such a grumpy old coot.

Yeah, I know it hasn't helped but go on and let us old farts deceive ourselves.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Lately I've been having vanilla Greek yogurt topped with trail mix and local honey with a Mandarin orange on the side. I find that having both carbs and protein with a meal keeps me satisfied longer. And it's tasty. Almost like having dessert for breakfast ☺
Old 08-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've been having yogurt for breakfast too, GG. I started buying plain Greek yogurt by the quart when I was going through the 5.3 oz. containers too quickly. (Also, why is a 5.3 oz cup considered a "serving" but scooped from a quart a serving size is 8 oz ) Today's version included a handful of cut-up fresh cherries; no sweetener like honey or such because the cherries were sweet enough. Should have added sliced almonds, but I was lazy. No toast, because I tend to feel full quickly, so I wait until I start feeling hungry again and then have toast with my second cup of tea or first cup of coffee.

Once the weather is cool every day, I'll go back to my usual from-scratch oatmeal with dried fruits and/or nuts.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My healthy breakfast this morning was Andouille sawmill gravy over biscuits. Tomorrow, I'll probably have leftover sauerbraten, potato dumpling and rotkohl, breakfast of champions!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior Cook

My favorite healthy breakfast

Food is not meant to taste good, it is fuel for the body.. nothing more nothing less. When taste enters the picture we begin to enjoy food, and when we begin to enjoy food we begin to eat for reasons other than hunger.. and this leads to health problems later in life.

Just my opinion.. yours may vary.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Food is not meant to taste good, it is fuel for the body.. nothing more nothing less. When taste enters the picture we begin to enjoy food, and when we begin to enjoy food we begin to eat for reasons other than hunger.. and this leads to health problems later in life.

Just my opinion.. yours may vary.
Heh. Most of us here eat for pleasure as well as for fueling the body. That's why we enjoy Discussing Cooking so much It's possible to have healthy, nutritious food that tastes good.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Food is not meant to taste good, it is fuel for the body nothing more nothing less. When Telestar stander the picture right begin to enjoy for, and when we begin to enjoy third we begin to eat for reasons other than hungry. I know most people are going to agree with this. But sometimes the truth hurts
Seriously? Then what the heck are you doing on a forum where folks discuss great tasting food? I didn't change my diet to lose weight, just started eating less. I can walk 5 miles with out breathing heavily and then swim a mile. You seem to have an agenda that has nothing to do with what DC is all about. You think most people will agree with you? Get real dude!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Eating for pleasure was how I ended up weighing 275 pounds. When I began eating for fuel, rather than for pleasure, I started losing weight. But I'm one of those who wasn't happy being obese and wasting my time on the couch in front of the TV.

Tags
breakfast, fast, health, healthy