"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-24-2006, 02:15 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Talk to your doctor. Tell him/her you are combining prescription meds - and if need be - go to an AA and/or NA meeting if you are truely sick of drinking.

Clonazipam is a controlled substance -- benzo - and the scrip is written in triplicate - one going to the DA as of 1/06. Combining it with Ambian, I would imagine, could have lethal results - particularly if you add alcohol - may lead to coma. Hope you're not drinking with the meds. The script says no alcohol, also read the contraindications that came with the meds.

I can't say enough about the horror of these addictive so called meds. IMO, there needs to be a darned good reason as to why one is taking them - and followed up very carefully. If anyone is hooked on this crap - sugggestion - get into a detox hospital.

Re an insomnia 'fix' - get up & go to sleep at the same time every day, take an exercise class, no caffeine or booze, keep your days full and active.
i'm a grown-up & i'm quite aware of controlled substances. my doctor is who is having me combine my meds. thing is, i'm quite aware of proper intake of controlled substances. i'm 25. also, my doc is very aware of my drinking & prescribes around that. i avoid meds unless i really need sleep.i'm not hooked by any means- oh, my. i avoid those pills. uck. that was my point. i want a natural sleep method. thanks for your advice.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 AM   #12
Head Chef

Wish I could help Luvs.

Rarely sleep all night.

I wake up after a couple of hours of sleep and am awake.

Truly awake.

So I get up and get on the computer, or read.

Like I am doing now, except I thankfully don't have to go to work in the AM.

And then catch another two hours or so.

Sometimes am tired the next day, but most of the time am OK.

Just learned to deal with what my body tells me to do.

I suppose this is not great advice, but I guess I am just mean to say that at least I don't worry about my sleep habits anymore.

I just accept them.

Lousy advice I suppose, but that is all I have to offer.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:59 AM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Luvs,

My sleep habits, as dictated by my body, not my wishes, are terrible.

I will sleep for one to two hours, and them I am awake. No way am I about to go back to snoozing.

Finally have gotten to the point that I just get up and read or play on the computer. If you look at the time of this post you will realize this is one of those lapses.

Sometimes I am tired the next day, other times not at all.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that once I learned not to worry about the whole thing, I am much happier.

Lousy advice, I suppose, but it is all I have to offer.

Take care.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Wish I could help Luvs.

Rarely sleep all night.

I wake up after a couple of hours of sleep and am awake.

Truly awake.

So I get up and get on the computer, or read.

Like I am doing now, except I thankfully don't have to go to work in the AM.

And then catch another two hours or so.

Sometimes am tired the next day, but most of the time am OK.

Just learned to deal with what my body tells me to do.

I suppose this is not great advice, but I guess I am just mean to say that at least I don't worry about my sleep habits anymore.

I just accept them.

Lousy advice I suppose, but that is all I have to offer.
auntdot, that advice was actually very great. thank you.
luv, luvs
Old 04-24-2006, 03:05 AM   #15
Master Chef

to mention, mish, i'm too thin to exercise. my dietician may get very upset if i did that.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 AM   #16
Head Chef

Thanks luvs,

Am erect again. Sorry about the double post but I was having problems getting anything to work here.

Computers are definitely not user friendly here.

Found that worrying about sleeping was not helping at all, so now I try not to.

Good luck and God bless.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

keeping active throughout the day is the best remedy to sleep at night!
Barb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #18
Head Chef

I have major sleep problems as well, Melatonin does nothing for me. I was on Trazadone for a while to help but got off it.

In January I finally gave in to my Xanax (a benzo) addiction. I was on the highest dose (2 mg) and I would take a months worth (90 pills) in 3-7 days.

Ummm, yeah, bad, eh? I'm totally off it now but I had to hit the bottom to make that happen.

Now, for my anxiety AND sleep problems I rely on Benedryl. The problem is, I have to take 6 of them for sleep. I take 2 for an anxiety attack. I have an appointmen to see a new shrink in about 3 weeks, now that I have insurance again.

I can't shut my thinking off. That is my main problem.

I have been told that Yoga does WONDERS for sleep and anxiety. It's worth a shot!

Also, no eating 6 hrs before bed (yeah right), no drinking before bed if you are one to get up to potty in the middle of the night. Personally, I need "white noise" to sleep and use a fan everynight, so the electronic bye-bye doesn't work for me.

Good luck. I feel your pain. I wish you the best in finding something that works!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #19
Senior Cook

If I am awakened at night adn talk or am talked to I cannot get back to sleep for hours. I have instructed everyone in the house to not talk to me until I get up in the morning. It seems if I don't make my brain work than I can drop off to sleep easily.
besides Valarian Catnip tea also is a good sleep inducer. Never tried it after a midnight wakeup though.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I have probs off and on, my doctor said when I do to take gravol, the anti-nauseant (but don't know if avail in US). It works wonderfully for me.