"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Master Chef

Natural insomnia fixes?

i have such insomnia. it takes ambien & klonopin together only to get me drowsy. that usually doesn't put me to sleep. i'm sick of meds & want a natural sleep med. advice? booze works great yet i'm sick of drinking it.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
Master Chef

Hey Luvs! Actually booze isn't a very good remedy as it disturbs your REM sleep mode and you don't get a good nights sleep. You may want to google and read what it actually does.

I hope things are going ok for you. I was concerned when you posted that you were going back to the hospital. I hope things are ok?

Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Master Chef

we had this some time ago...

I had something to say (as usual ), but I know I forgot something..:

Quote:
don`t let anything disturbing get into the sleeping room.. no light, take care the curtains are tightly closed... and avoid any noise..
do you have electric things in the bedroom? Throw them out, radiation is a sleep killer... when you have an electric alarm clock, make sure its more than 1m away from your head.

scientific studies found out, that the way the bed is located also has influence.
people don`t like to sleep with the head towards the door, that is left from when we slept in caves and you never knew what came in...
in the eastern world people believe in the influence of chi on the body... probably the chi goes the wrong way or gets sacked in your bedroom, but for that check some feng shui websites...
some people (like my aunt) would check for underground watercourses, they are said to kill sleep, too..

but what to do right now?
Ever tried a cup of warm milk with honey? Or a quarter of good red wine?
valerian definitely lets you calm down and sleep, if you are not a cat? Ever tried valerian on a cat? Marvellous!!
let fresh air into the bedroom before you go to sleep...
avoid horror and action movies.. an forty years old romantic movie made 1Mio people sleep better ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Regular physical exercise focusing on cardio.

Milk, peanuts (and a few other things) will make the body up it's production of seratonin helping you go to sleep.

A dinner that has a high GI (glycemic index) rating is also meant to help you get off to sleep. as well.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Executive Chef

My problem isn't going to sleep - it is staying asleep. Sometimes I can go right back to sleep, but more often I am wide awake and nothing helps. I've been awake since 4:05 this morning and will get so sleepy in church that I think I can't stand it, but nothing seems to take care of that problem. I exercise 6 days a week and while that does seem to have helped some, it hasn't elminated the problem entirely. I settle for 2 or 3 nights sleeping all night and enjoy those immensely. The others, I get through.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Executive Chef

sleep

I have heard that maletonion, stuff supposedly found in turkey, makes one sleep. Also, warm milk. What really works for me is taking calcium supplement before I want to go to sleep. Bendryl was another one. Counting sheep never works. If you can't relax and sleep you resort to trying anything. Not listening to radio I am sure doesn't help. Especially if you have station on that is talking about supernatural. Why don't they have them on during the day? Did this last night and kept hearing things in other room. Dumb.

Hope you are able to try some of these suggestions as my heart goes out to someone who has to struggle to rest.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Try reading and drinking an herbal tea.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Melatonin works great I take it every night.I think the best is Source Naturals,peppermint flavored sublinguals.I have a bottle of 2.5 mgs you just put it under your tongue about 20 minutes before going to sleep.I now only take 1/2 to 1/4 of it now and it still puts me right to sleep.
It wont work if you got alot on your mind,so think about your dream vacation or something like that.
We naturally make melatonin I think in our pituitary gland.But as we get older our body makes less and less.
Alot of people use it to fight jet lag, it supposedly has alot of anti oxidents. Some people say it's a good anti aging supplement.Ive been taking it for about 12 years.The only down side might be vivid dreams and you could be a little groggy in the morning so you need to be able to get at least 8 hours of sleep.But Im telling you it puts me to sleep and lets me sleep thru the night.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Executive Chef

In the kitchen what you are talking about in warm milk and turkey is call tryptophan. I think,I hope I spelled that right.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
i have such insomnia. it takes ambien & klonopin together only to get me drowsy. that usually doesn't put me to sleep. i'm sick of meds & want a natural sleep med. advice? booze works great yet i'm sick of drinking it.
Talk to your doctor. Tell him/her you are combining prescription meds - and if need be - go to an AA and/or NA meeting if you are truely sick of drinking.

Clonazipam is a controlled substance -- benzo - and the scrip is written in triplicate - one going to the DA as of 1/06. Combining it with Ambian, I would imagine, could have lethal results - particularly if you add alcohol - may lead to coma. Hope you're not drinking with the meds. The script says no alcohol, also read the contraindications that came with the meds.

I can't say enough about the horror of these addictive so called meds. IMO, there needs to be a darned good reason as to why one is taking them - and followed up very carefully. If anyone is hooked on this crap - sugggestion - get into a detox hospital.

Re an insomnia 'fix' - get up & go to sleep at the same time every day, take an exercise class, no caffeine or booze, keep your days full and active.