Need a liquid/really soft diet recipes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cook potatoes, carrots, broccoli etc in chicken broth until very soft...puree with a stick blender and whisk in 1/2 n 1/2. makes a very good cream vegetable soup. flavor as you like...salt, pepper, roasted garlic, etc

texasgirl said:
So many wonderful ideas!! Thanks for them!!

Amber, they said they didn't have a menu, just do's and don't like no caffeine, fried food, etc..
I will find something with all the advise I've gotten here.

Wow, seems like they are helping much.

texasgirl said:
I appreciate everyones help. It is great to get ideas.
He's having trouble with swallowing cheddar cheese soup!! I don't understand how long they expect him to wait to get some kind of treatment!!!
Since Monday of last week, he has gone from 148 to 134 lbs.

If that were me, I would be on the phone 24/7 demanding an answer and help immediately. Thats alot of weight loss and you shouldnt give up until you get him help right away. Thats just me, but you know your situation better than I do.

TG, my good friend went through this with her father. She used to put some of whatever she was eating in the food processor with some Ensure for liquid. If it was too thick, she added some extra water. Not haute cuisine, but it got the food in him. She often made several batches with the various dinner ingredients so that he got to taste some of the different things in dinner.

I would suggest liquidy Chinese porridge. To prepare that boil a cup of rice with lots of water until it softens, add any kind of broth, carrot. peas, salt, pepper and continue cooking until porridge is soft and mushy, and of the right consistency.

Don't know which problem he is having TG - but since it seems to be a problem swallowing it could be something like either Pharyngeal Constriction or Achalasia which causes a problem with swallowing up in the throat - although GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) can cause food backup in the esophagus - but, it's not quite the same as a "swallowing" problem.

I went through this with my Dad when he had Pharyngeal Constriction and couldn't swallow food ... if it's a swallowing problem you might try Junior Baby Foods ... or other similar purees. Ensure is a good nutrional replacement - so is Boost. You just have to read the labels to see which formulation you are getting and make sure he is getting enough calories.

It is just a question of giving high calorie foods in the food he eats--as others have said. Get protein supplement, Ensure, etc. Puree the food to the point that he CAN eat it. Cheddar soup might not be a good candidate for him at this point. This is more about nutrition than cuisine.
I suspect the doctors have been as helpful with this as they could be by saying what NOT to give.
I don't understand the "wait to get help" part.

Back
Top Bottom