"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Need Easy Recipes for a Special Diet

You don't often see me in this category.

My younger daughter asked for my help in coming up with some ideas for a friend of hers who has Chron's Disease and needs to lose some weight to prepare for a surgery. She doesn't like to cook.

I checked out the FODMAP lists of acceptable foods.

What I'm asking for is easy to prepare recipes that satisfy Chron's Disease requirements and are super easy to prepare.

I thought salads supplemented with some meats would be fairly easy and also suggested visiting supermarket salad bars.

I'd appreciate any help.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 1989. There is no specific diet for Crohn's disease; different people have problems with different foods. In general, high fiber foods - especially cruciferous vegetables, dried fruits, salad greens and any vegetable skins, seeds and nuts - are more likely to cause pain and possibly an intestinal obstruction - when a patient is having a flare-up, especially when they're facing surgery.

A low-residue diet minimizes pain. Easy to digest foods include fresh meats, poultry and fish, cantaloupe, bananas, applesauce without seeds, potatoes, white rice, bread, and pasta, and well-cooked green beans and asparagus.

My doctor has never mentioned the FODMAP diet to me. I would have her check with her doctor before restricting foods unnecessarily. Getting enough nutrition with foods the patient can tolerate usually takes precedence.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

You also have the ask the person with Crohn's Disease what the person can eat. My neighbor has Crohn and so does a friend and I have to do two meals because they react to different things.

Because if the person has the runs, well then small portions 8 times a day and I mean small , lost of water in small portions , not to fatty, extra salt, low fiber ( not so much veggies).

And if the person has constriction in the intestine, then no long fibrous veggies, nuts, grain or citrus. And when it comes to meat minced or puréed meat . Veggies should be cooked and if worse comes to worse, liquid or puree diet only.

But is the person healthy right now, most things goes that doesnt trigger it.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
And if the person has constriction in the intestine, then no long fibrous veggies, nuts, grain or citrus. And when it comes to meat minced or puréed meat. Veggies should be cooked and if worse comes to worse, liquid or puree diet only.
You mean no whole grains, right? Rice and foods made from refined white flour are fine.

Not sure what you mean by "long fibrous foods." Cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage are not long but they can cause a blockage if a stricture is present. High fiber foods kind of stick together as they move through the intestines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
But is the person healthy right now, most things goes that doesnt trigger it.
This person is preparing for surgery right now, so I don't think she's healthy.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Head Chef

Gotgarlic: sometimes it hard to translate from Swedish to English. It more about the length of the fibers, for example, rhubarb have long fibers while banana has short.

My neighbor have had surgery while well, maybe because he was way too skinny and losing muscles so they had to wait, until his body was bit better and he had a second one not long ago just to correct something.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

GG, one site recommended a low gluten diet as part of treatment to minimize flare ups. Specifically wheat products.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
GG, one site recommended a low gluten diet as part of treatment to minimize flare ups. Specifically wheat products.
Which site? I would restrict a search to only university sites, or the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation.

Gluten has nothing to do with Crohn's disease. Celiac disease is a separate illness with similar symptoms where the patients have an autoimmune inflammatory response to gluten, but Crohn's is different.

Here's some good information: https://www.ibdrelief.com/diet/role-...p-diet-and-ibd

"Low FODMAP diet and IBD

Evidence has been found to show that a low FODMAP diet helps to relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) but there is currently no evidence to suggest that it works for people with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), although some people with IBD do find it helpful in controlling some of their symptoms."

So, it depends My aunt has Crohn's and onions cause a flare-up for her. Onions, garlic, etc., have never been a problem for me.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

My friend can eat as many wheat bread as he can stuff his face with but give him rye and he gets a flare up. My neighbor cant eat bell pepper and whole barely.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have mild cron and I cannot eat veggies. It's all I can say.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have mild cron and I cannot eat veggies. It's all I can say.
That's another good point: Crohn's can affect people in a mild, medium or severe way. Some people go into remission for long periods of time, then have a flare-up. Others have flare-ups for a longer time that are more difficult to control. My doctor says I have a particularly aggressive form, where I have had inflammation in my joints and other soft tissues like my eyes and skin. It's pretty rare and what I ate had no effect on it. So it's a very variable disease.

Andy, your daughter's friend may want to ask her doctor for a referral to a registered dietician who can tailor a diet to her specific needs.

Tags
diet, easy, recipe, recipes