"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
If you own a blender, ANYTHING can become a liquid.
That sure doesn't make it a CLEAR liquid. You don't want the doctor to misdiagnose you based on something YOU put there

Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
Are milkshakes concidered liquid>??
No, milkshakes are not an option because they are not clear. These liquids have to be clear.

Caine - just having a blender won't do it either for the same reason above. Even though the OP just said "liquids" she mentioned jello and broth - clueing the rest of us in as to her intent on "clear" liquids. We were probably clued in because we've had this test or been around people who have had this test. Any herbs that are floating around in that broth also have to be removed before consuming.

Grilling Fool - it is to STOP his intake of food (solid anyway).

I was quite content eating the jello (peach) and broth - I never got hungry. Even a glass of white wine is acceptable as would a lot of cocktails.

Jello shots - I'll have to remember that one! I saw a recipe somewhere recently for mojito jello shots - I've GOT to find that recipe!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Ah, provided you don't need to be anethetised for the procedure, KitchenElf!! A mojito jello shot or a cocktail may not be the best combo in that situation!! Although, you probably wouldn't need the gas if you had enough of the shots!!! LOL
Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
Master Chef

My hubby passed his colonscopy test just fine--guess what---they found a precancerous polyp--NO history of cancer whatsover in his family genetics and he's 54 years---please--I'm going to use this forum to appeal to all of you--get a colonoscopy at least by the age of 50---the doctor told us to have our children to have their first one at age 40 since he had a precancerous polyp---can you believe? He gave me such a hard time about scheduling him for this test in the first place. If you love your family members, schedule them, support them during the "diet" time and they will be grateful when everything come back negative. As an aside the morning that my hubby had his colonoscopy, 3 out of 10 patients came back "positive" with polyps. That's not a good ratio in my books.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #25
Master Chef

if you are 50 and older you need to have a colonoscopy......schedule today........if all is clear you won't have to go for another 3-5 years............I will try and post a hilarious rendition of a local humorist's recollection of his experience..........I had a wonderful doctor who believed in making his patients comfortable.......think twice about yours if he/she insists that you have the lovely experience of seeing the whole procedure videod....mine put me out and I got special Kodak moments as part of the bill..........I could not thank him enough.....
Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #26
Master Chef

I was awake for mine but they did give me something to make me "feel good" so I really didn't care what was happening. I got a clean bill of health and was told I didn't need another for 10 years. That I can live with! Maybe by then they will have improved the prep even more!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #27
Master Chef

the prep will always involve a salt solution whether liquid or by tablets .........as your body is excreting large amounts of fluid.... potassium is being excreted as well and so the heart needs to be given extra potassium and electrolytes as well......that's why the drink isn't so delightful........buy a good book beforehand..........no, I was totally out for mine......totally............
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #28
Senior Cook

I too urge everyone to get a colonoscopy. I just had about 3 ft. of my colon taken out because of a precancerous polop. Praise God I had the test and they found it before it turned into something bad. It just makes me mad at myself that I had gone over the 10 yr. mark. Just kept putting it off because of the prep tasting so bad. While I sweated out the time waiting to see if it was cancer, I realized 1 day of prep is not so bad compared to colon cancer.Just my 2 cents worth. Faye
Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That sure doesn't make it a CLEAR liquid. You don't want the doctor to misdiagnose you based on something YOU put there
good quote..........:):)
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl View Post
I too urge everyone to get a colonoscopy. I just had about 3 ft. of my colon taken out because of a precancerous polop. Praise God I had the test and they found it before it turned into something bad. It just makes me mad at myself that I had gone over the 10 yr. mark. Just kept putting it off because of the prep tasting so bad. While I sweated out the time waiting to see if it was cancer, I realized 1 day of prep is not so bad compared to colon cancer.Just my 2 cents worth. Faye
I just had one two weeks ago, and if you have a good doctor, you don't have to do the liquid prep. I took two over-the-counter meds - one was Dulcolax, and I don't remember the other, but it was similar. Take those with clear liquids and you're good to go - so to speak