Need ideas - clear liquid diet before medical tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
Husband is having a test tomarrow and can only have liquids today, any ideas besides broth and jello?

not much .. green tea, chicken broth (flavor it with a basil leaf but take it out), gatoraide etc.

It's bearable for a day.

PD I dont think so his sheet says clear liquids,coffee,pop. Husband is a person who eats all day long so he is going crazy. Though there might be something else withe a little flavor. I'd be fine with the jello,coffee, and water. Hubby LOVES his food.

I think the point is to severely limit his intake of "food".

If you cheat and find stuff to :fill him up:, then you will quite possibly
skew the results of the test, or even make the doctor delay the test.

He needs to suck it up and be hungry for a day, so the test results will be valid.

Especially if it has anything to do with heart or colon health.

I've had quite a few of these tests :glare: He can have clear soft drinks like Sprite and apple or white grape juice - nothing with red food coloring. I found that drinking the broth from canned chicken soup, or better yet, Panera's chicken noodle soup, was more satisfying that a can of plain broth (and the dog benefited from the solids :LOL:). Make sure the jello is not red or orange - that can mess up the test results. HTH.

Last edited:
I think the point is to severely limit his intake of "food".

It's not just to help clean out his system - if anything eaten or drunk in the prep period has red coloring, that can skew the results. It can look like blood in the scope, when it may not be, resulting in an incorrect diagnosis.

PD I dont think so his sheet says clear liquids,coffee,pop. Husband is a person who eats all day long so he is going crazy. Though there might be something else withe a little flavor. I'd be fine with the jello,coffee, and water. Hubby LOVES his food.

He can also suck on hard candies like butterscotch or peppermint - maybe that will keep his mouth busy :ermm:

He'd be better chewing gum than a hard sweet in case he swallows it. Unless he is the sort of person to swallow gum! But really, he is better off just biting the bullet (pardon the pun) and going without for the day. It won't kill him. Once you get over the first couple of hours it isn't so bad. Tell him to have a nap for a while to kill the time.

Just don't be around him more than you have to if he is likely to be narky. ;-)

Quite honestly, Mikki, you are the one that NEEDS the vodka shots :):):) I'd leave the house and let hubby suffer...........just kidding......my hubby had to have a colonoscopy last week (good thing as they found a precancerous polyp) and he was going nuts. with the liquid diet and the gallon rotorooter "beer" that he had to drink..he also didn't think that the test was necessary and I'm the one who scheduled the test for him 8 months ago as some of these doctors' apptmts. are difficult to schedule...what an attitude change when he found out that he had a precancerous polyp......hope that all went well with your hubby's procedure

... the gallon rotorooter "beer" that he had to drink...

Everyone - just FYI, there is an alternative to the gallon of purgative they give you for this test. I've had so many, I really can't swallow enough of it to make a difference. Several years ago, my colorectal surgeon prescribed Visicol for me instead, prior to abdominal surgery. It's a form of the liquid purgative concentrated into, if I recall correctly, 32 pills that are taken with a clear liquid, some the night before and some the day of the procedure.

I've told friends and co-workers about this and some tell me that their doctors say it doesn't clean one out enough for the procedure to be successful. Bull. I've had two abdominal surgeries and at least three colonoscopies after using Visicol, prescribed by the best colorectal surgeon and gastroenterologist in my area, and they had no problems at all. If your doctor refuses, ask to see study results that show it doesn't work well enough. Then show them this: Visicol (Sodium Phosphate Monobasic Monohydrate, Sodium Phosphate Dibasic Anhydrous) clinical pharmacology - prescription drugs and medications at RxList HTH.

thanks so much, GG, I won't tell my hubby just yet. that these were a possible alternative..I'm just glad that I got his GI tract and butt in there in the first place........but he'll be happy to hear the news when he goes in 3 years from now......

Dialysis patients are offered an alternative "clearance" method as standard (or they should be!) as there is a strict liquid restriction so the normal way is not permitted. Dialysis nurses in the know will also use this method. Trouble is you always have to ask for the alternative as nobody just offers you these things. More expensive I guess.

How funny that your husband would raise such a fuss about missing a meal. It isn't the end of the world. Mine has to take quarterly tests and I just make sure he has good food when he gets home. I'd hate to think how you'd manage to survive if you actually had to do without. Maybe you should have him tested for diabetes as well. There is a tendency towards what spouses of diabetes that I know call the "meanies". Just put on your big boy pants and take your tests, schedule them in the earliest morning time slot you can, then go home and eat. What is the big deal?

The diabetes test is a lot quicker than the test that Mikki's husband is/was scheduled for, from what I can gather, and so it will be a lot longer for him to fast. It isn't really a big deal, once you get into the right frame of mind, for the most part. The thought is usually worse than the experience. However I do know that I can get ill when I don't get food when I need it - and I am not talking about missing a meal, just when I need fuel. And yeah, it is much easier if you can get your fasting done during the sleep phase. I also find it easier to fast if I don't drink anything at all either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom