"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Net carbs vs actual carbs?

Ok-so I've been doing the "low carb" thing for a few months, and its working pretty well. Weight is coming off and I don't feel deprived- but I have always had a "sweet tooth"

My wife brought home some Atkins bars and shakes last week, and they do satisfy the yearning for sweets. But I'm a little concerned regarding the actual carbs on the nutrition panel vs the "net" carbs.

Do you count the net carbs as part of your daily total or the actual carbs? If you count the actual carbs, then they are'nt the godsend I thought they were.

Thanks

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You count the net carbs.

Basically, total carbs - dietary fiber = net carbs. The dietary fiber does not count as carbs for a low carb, Atkins type, diet.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I only count the "net impact carbs" those are the carbs that spike insulin, that's what we are trying to avoid when eating carbs. If you have a sweet tooth like I do you might want to look into Doctor's CarbRite Diet Bar They have about 20 grams of protein, and 2 to 3 grams of impact carbs. They are by far the best tasting protein bars I have tried and I have tried many. They come in many flavors too. Here is a link: Product

You can find these alot cheaper on the internet then the prices they list there.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks!! That is good news!! Does that equation (total carbs - dietary fiber=net carbs) apply to everything? And while I've got your ear(s) is there anything else (on the nutrition panels) that I should be looking at/avoiding? So far all I've done is pretty much stick to proteins-meat, cheese, eggs etc, and I can live with that, but a little variety would be nice.

An example of what I'm talking about is Pork Rinds. My wife bought a bag because the panel listed it as having 0 carbs. ButI am afraid to eat them- I have a gut feeling that there is more to it than that. I mean-Pork rinds on a diet??

I know I need to get a book, or some guidelines of some kind-just flyin' by the seat of my pants so to speak. But, it has been working.......

And I will try those Carbrite bars - are they sold in the stores or is it a web only thing?

And again-thank you!!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Net carbs applies to every food.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
Thanks!! That is good news!! Does that equation (total carbs - dietary fiber=net carbs) apply to everything? And while I've got your ear(s) is there anything else (on the nutrition panels) that I should be looking at/avoiding? So far all I've done is pretty much stick to proteins-meat, cheese, eggs etc, and I can live with that, but a little variety would be nice.

An example of what I'm talking about is Pork Rinds. My wife bought a bag because the panel listed it as having 0 carbs. ButI am afraid to eat them- I have a gut feeling that there is more to it than that. I mean-Pork rinds on a diet??

I know I need to get a book, or some guidelines of some kind-just flyin' by the seat of my pants so to speak. But, it has been working.......

And I will try those Carbrite bars - are they sold in the stores or is it a web only thing?

And again-thank you!!
Carbs aren't the only thing you need to be concerned about. Pork rinds are loaded with fat and salt - not good for you. That's why the idea bothers you

Check this site for great low-carb (oriented to the South Beach diet) recipes: Kalyn's Kitchen

Specifically, desserts: Kalyn's Kitchen: Low Sugar Desserts and Fruit

HTH.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

Miracle Noodles

Has anyone tried Miracle Noodles? eShop For The Miracle Shirataki Noodle

Zero carb, no-calorie, "pasta". Gluten- and wheat-free.

I just learned about them yesterday, and if they taste halfway decent, heck if they don't taste OBJECTIONABLE, I'm all over this!

Lee
Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Do you really like the Atkins bars? They were giving them away, free fer nuthin, at my gym a while back, so I tried one. WAY too much sugar alcohol in them! It still makes my teeth itch just thinking about them. I prefer the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Bars in peanut butter or chocolate. The EAS cookies & cream bars are also too sweet for my taste.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Many Health Care Professionals suggest subtracting the fiber from the total only if the fiber is 5 grams or more, and subtracting only 1/2 of the sugar alcohols....In short read the label and understand how the manufacturer is doing the math...some of it is creative.
Net Carbs

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Do you really like the Atkins bars?
I guess "like" is a strong word-but after 4 months of no sweets at all...I guess I've taken QSis attitude-I've reached a point where if something fits the criteria of the diet, and does'nt completely repulse me, I file it under "things that I like"!!!!

But I will press on. I will try the "miracle noodles" as well as the EAS bars. Thank you for the tip(s)