Neufchatel Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cookforus....

The American version of Neufchatel Cheese is very similar to the regular Philadelphia Cream Cheese. With the Neufchatel being slightly lower in calories due to lower milk fat content.

Enjoy!

Cookforus....

The American version of Neufchatel Cheese is very similar to the regular Philadelphia Cream Cheese. With the Neufchatel being slightly lower in calories due to lower milk fat content.

Enjoy!
:)Excactly.If I remember correctly its a bit softer than cream cheese

I've used it a lot. If you want it for a bagel or muffin or in a dip, etc. it will work fine.

Neufchatel, a French cheese, came first. American cream cheese came about as the result of someone in the US trying to imitate French neufchatel. He ended up with a thicker cheese and called it cream cheese. It is higher in fat than Neuf...

Ironically, Philadelphia makes Neufchatel, which is naturally lower in fat, and calls it low fat cream cheese!

I use it all the time in place of cream cheese. I find it tends to melt better in recipes and spreads easier by itself and the lower fat content is always a good thing. I can't taste a much of a difference with the possible exception of cream cheese is bit stronger but not by much.

I wasn't going to say so, because I thought it may be my inexperienced cheese palate, but I can't taste any difference either. Maybe the Neufchatel is just a bit softer due to more moisture content.

Agreed, Uncle Bob. I usually have cream cheese at breakfast which is a little before my first drink of the day.

I have....I just used it in the Margarita Truffle recipe I posted, too. Decent flavour, nice texture.

I buy Neufchatel and use it for everything. Haven't bought cream cheese for years.

thanks for the replies guys...

Yea it would be good to try it on some veggies for a snack but I like some of the recipes im hearing.

Vera I would really like to hear more about your Margarita Truffle recipe!:D

Also did you guys find it useful in any other recipes?

thanks for the replies guys...

Yea it would be good to try it on some veggies for a snack but I like some of the recipes im hearing.

Vera I would really like to hear more about your Margarita Truffle recipe!:D

Also did you guys find it useful in any other recipes?

it's posted in the cookies and bars section here.

I've used it for years in everything that calls for cream cheese and we can't tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom