"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Here we are in the new year. In just 2 and a half months I will be 45 years old, an age I thought of as ancient when I was a callow youth.

At 19, I was 200 pounds, solid like rock. At 6' 2" and a trim and fit body, I was a pleasing sight to the eyes (so I am told) with a head ful of light brown curls and eyes of dark blue.

SIGH

Now I am fighting to get down to 240 pounds so I can be mearly heavy instead of clinicly obese.

I have dropped a total of 54 pounds since last April 25th, when I totaly revised my life style and changed my approach to food.

I do not think I could have done it so well without the support and encouragement of all of the people I see posting on the various weigh-in threads. THANKS

Now I will need you guys to really get behind me as I make the push to get to 240 (15 pounds away) by my Birthday in early March.

Good luck and G-d bless to everyone in their efforts to lead a healthier life this year

Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Master Chef

Good for you, my friend!

My daughter is the same height as I am, 5' 8", and a very lovely woman, but weighs around 350 lbs. She is only 33, has a family history of diabetes on her dad's side, but doesn't seem to care.
She is so sensitive about her weight that I'm afraid to say anything because I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I do worry.

Do any of you all have some suggestions about this issue? I would love to see her feeling healthier and having a better self-image, but I'm not sure there is anything I can do.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:47 AM   #13
Head Chef

I've shared my "story" here before, but perhaps a recap is in order. After working in the kitchen literally my entire working life, my career path took a little detour thru the credit card industry. When the restaurant where I was the kitchen manager closed, I decided to try something different and took a job in banking. During that time my weight slowly ballooned from around 190 to well over 275! You'd think being surrounded by food all day would make you fat, but it was just the opposite- in the kitchen I spent my whole day on my feet moving around. Eight hour shifts chained to a desk was disasterous; within 6 months I'd packed on 50 pounds!

For me the first step was overcoming denial. How can a 5'9" & 275lb + man deny he's fat? It wasn't as hard as it seems. The first pounds felt like they came on gradually, at the time. As some of my clothes got too tight, I started wearing my bigger stuff. As that got too small, I rationalized that I needed some new stuff anyhow. And all the while I just tended to focus on my face in the mirror, not my body.

That worked up until about 255 or so. The first great blow came when I moved to a better paying job at another bank where I needed professional atire. I ended up having to buy a few pairs of slacks with a 46" waist! Having worn a 32 for most of my life, that was humiliating. The final straw came when I saw my ID photo, complete with several chins. I was starting to look like my dad.

The thing that ultimately save me was Dr. Robert Atkin's book, "New Diet Revolution." I realize his low carb eating method is controversial, but nothing else helped me in the slightest. I dropped 20 pounds per month without ever being hungry, simultaneously lowering my BP and increasing every heart health indicator there is.

The final peice of the puzzle was exercise. As a really fat guy I couldn't do anything physical at all, but once I hit 220 I bought Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning" DVD & book set. Doing sets of 100 Hindu squats and 20 Hindu pushups, I eventually got down to 185. I'm still not totally where I want to be, but I finally have confidence that I can reach my goal. No, actually it's more than that- I have faith in myself. Yes, there are setbacks and times I fall short, but when I feel weak I look at my "fat pants" still hanging in the closet. And I check in here at DC!

Oh yeah- while I won't say that four or five years was totally wasted, I'm glad to be back in the restaurant biz!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen

spice & Rob - way to go guys - I'm cheering you on!!

Constance, regarding your daughter....
As her mom, you need to do what you've always done...tell her what's best for her. Don't worry about hurting her feelings. Think about the hurt if she were hospitalized because of her weight. Could it be that in her mind she's rationalizing that everything's fine, because her mom's okay with it?
I think you need to be straightforward with her. She'll no doubt get really ticked off, but it will be because she knows you are right, and that you're doing it because you love her very much. Eventually she'll come around...kids always do.
This may be the push she's needing so desperately.

As for you, pds may be onto something - swimming, even if it's treading water, could help! Do you suppose your insurance co would pay for a jacuzzi of sorts to keep up your health?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
Master Chef

i would like to share my success on the south beach diet.

today is my birthday (60- )...........

on this day in 2004, i began the diet. i weighed in at 244.5 on that day.
on this day, 2005, i was 204.......i held my own all this past year, going as low as 194 for twenty minutes or so along the line....

today, i weighed in at 201.2- can't ask for a better maintenance job than that!
LT
Old 01-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That's wonderful Lucky!
Keep up the good work!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #17
Contest Winner

Wink

Ok You All are Shrimps ! Here I am needing to lose weight to get on the Biggest Loser ! OK THIS IS SHARE TIME ! I was 537 pounds, I have melted to a mere 493 and still melting ! only another 93 pounds and I will be small enough to be on the Biggest Loser ! And You thought you had Problems ! Next Make Me a Water Shakened Not Stirred ! Put a Diaper on me and send me to Japan !
Old 01-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

Maidrite, you so rock. Down 44 lbs and going! Are you really going to try out for that show? That would be awesome if you could! I think it's the greatest premise out there, showing people that they need to lose weight the real way, without surgery, and with the support of those around them.

I applaud you for telling us about yourself. You are a gem.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Constance, if your daughter uses the internet, try telling her about a website called 3 fat chicks (www.3fatchicks.com) It's really helped. This thread is great, but there all they are about is weight loss. There are plenty of ladies 300lb or over there. You could try leaving Dr Phils Weight Loss Solution book lying around, that helped me a lot.

My mum used to mention my weight to me, and it just drove me further into denial. One day it just clicked in my head that being 262lbs probably wasn't great, and I started eating healthily and a month later began to exercise.

I would be inclined to try the sneaky approach, or use real life examples to make it less intimidating, but without being preachy. Chances are deep down she is deeply unhappy with her size, but doesn't know where to start. I know I felt like that. I sincerely thought having a gastric bypass or lap band was my only option. It wasn't until I joined 3 fat chicks and saw lots of fat people losing naturally that I realised I could do it too.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #20
Contest Winner

Wink

I of course would like to be perfect, but I am not. I love who I am and believe that I can improve myself, I am glad that I am on the right way, I have never been thin and won't say I have but I have been in much better shape and will again. I have all of you to meet and am looking forward to it, weather I am 493 or 230 pounds, but I can't lose them over night. And Yes I would like to be on the show! we shall see, Jorge G or John C are who I am ready to be. I would love to act sometime. Barbara would tell you I am a character already ! Let the melting begin !