New Year (January) weigh in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All,

I am new to the site. I found you by accident while doing a yahoo search.

I am trying to lose weight. I have over 100 lbs to lose. I've been struggling with weight loss the last 10 years. I went on a birth control shot last year and gained 30 lbs in about 3 months and it just ruined my body (I'm no longer on it).

So, I did a cleanse and it seems like I've been more myself. So, I'm going to give weight loss another try.

I had problems in the evening with kind of what I called food anxiety. I have a feeling it was stress building up and I would overeat. I would get this rush of energy and feel like I needed to eat regardless of if I was hungry.

I was thinking today that unfortunately I had psyched myself out and come to believe in that energy and feel like it was going to happen. I set up myself up for failure all the time and now I totally realize that I put so much negativity around losing the weight that it just snowballed into this really bad thing.

So, for this year, my goal is to be more positive about myself and losing this weight. I will no longer accept that I will have this anxiety and start reprogramming my thoughts. I will now accept that I will lose weight and exercise so I can feel better and let go of this excess weight. And, I'm not going to get down on myself if occasionally I want things that aren't normally on my diet. And I'm going to watch my portions and listen to my body and eat slower (you would think I was going to catch on fire I eat so fast).

So, thanks for sharing your struggles and triumphs and I wish that all of you will achieve your goals this year.

Thanks for listening :)

I think the last time I shared my weight here I was around 210 pounds. Although we didn't exactly do it the right way (we ran out of food and were down to 1 small meal a day--don't worry, we're doing better now, and payday is in 5 days), James and I have both lost weight. I was down to 196 by New Year's. I have gained 2 pounds and weigh 198 now, but I am determined not to ever go over 200 again. Hopefully I will be able to share many more losses with you all this year.

:) Barbara

I think the exercise part of the equation is very important- it simply makes you feel good. And feeling good is the reason we want to lose weight in the first place, isn't it? Sure, looks/vanity is a factor, too, but health is what prompted me to try.

Feeling healthy is a great feeling. If you do enough excerise to feel fit, you'll go a long ways towards feeling comfortable in your skin no matter what your weight.:)

Nikki, I dela with the evening temptations by chowing down on Jello sugar free Jello. You can eat it all night long and not gain an ounce. Welcome to the thread, we are here for support: to give and to get.!

Oh my goodness....I've read all these posts, and here's what I "get" from the words you've all written - you are all LOVELY people. I wish you all lived in my town, and I could see you every day and say hi and give you a really big hug and a wish for each day ....from me....

Kyles - I visited your recommended website and joined (3fatchicks) - thank you for the recommendation. You know what, its almost as nice as this one!

Take care everybody. Me and my 19 year old daughter are starting our official "South Beach" tomorrow. I'm 145 and hope to try to get back to 130....but you know what? The most important thing of all for me is just to be healthy and teach my girls that, too.

Excellent, hope to see you there! I have lost another pound and am at 200 lbs!!! I can't wait to see 199!!!

Nikki, I have lost weight (62 lbs) by staying positive and eating a balanced diet and exercising a lot. I still eat "fun" things, just not often. I still have about the same to lose.

Being positive is the best thing, and I am so pleased that is your resolution. You will do well!!!

I really bit the bullet today and joined a fitness center. I've decided that for the next 3 months - that will be my JOB - working out - in the pool and the equipment that will be good for my back without hurting it. Also, I'm going to eat things that are good for me. It looks like we are off to a good start with this thread and hope we all have good results in the new year. I need to lose at least 30 lbs and hope some of my meds will be unnecessary after I've lost that. I did the water routine today and was surprised that my back was quite agile (and after a week at the farm doing much bending, etc). Good luck to all of us!

Well folks, I am down to 252. My lightest in lord knows how long. My goal is to be 240 by March 11 (my 45th birthday).

After that I will be ten pounds from my goal of 230. I know that sound heavy but I am 6'2" and big of build even when lean.

When I get to 230, I will have lost 80 pounds from my peak weight.

I wish everyone the very best. Those who do not have to battle weight can not possibly understand the battle it is to loose the weight and then keep it off. Diet (and by this I mean the way you eat and what you eat, not some plan out of a book) is only part of the equation. Activity is only part of the equation. The part so many miss is the mental part: the will power, the self image, the desire.

This is what makes this thread and its sisters so important: the encouragement, the cheering on, the people that share the struggle and the experience.
Thanks

daughter

Kyles & Jkath, thank you for the advice about my daughter, but I don't think that will work. Her husband reminds her every day about her weight. They have a pretty volatal relationship, and her only real joy is in her little boy.
She and I had a hard time after I left and divorced her dad, and it's only been since her little boy was born that we have re-bonded. I can't to do anything to jeopardize the relationship we have now.
I did mention to her once the by-pass surgery that a friend of ours had, and she said she had considered that, but...the reason she was fat was that she loved to eat, and she wasn't willing to give that up.
What could I say?

Constance, I am not quite sure why you don't think my approach will work.........I adore food (um this is a cooking site LOL) and I conciously decided, that although I met every criteria going for free weight loss surgery paid for my the state (I am in the UK) I could not do that.

I adore food, my eating plan contains real food, no mush, no liquid, no supplements, just food. Chocolate, cheese, pasta, everything is there, but in moderation, weighed out and planned. It only takes about 6 weeks to get used to measuring and planning, by which time a routine has set in and it becomes part of your life.

You wouldn't even know by the way I eat that I am on a permanent life changing diet.

Gastric bypass surgery might work for some, and for some people it's completely justified, if they have urgent medical needs and have to get the weight off.

For most of us, it's not necessary. It's also potentially dangerous, and it does mean your body no longer will be getting the nutrients you need and you will have to supplement your diet with pills f.o.r.e.v.e.r. Which is not only inconvenient, but expensive.

There is no easy way to lose the weight, but what I think your daughter needs is to meet other people, and three fat chicks are full of em, who adore food and have found away to incorporate real food that they love into their eating plans, and lose weight.

If you keep telling yourself it can't be done, what hope does she have of believing that it can?

And her little boy, what better time than now to learn how to eat healthily so he never has the same battle, children of obese parents are far more likely to have the same problems.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but my own mother told me surgery was my only option, and that without it I would always be overweight, and here I am. 63 lbs lighter and now in onederland for the first time in my adult life!

if you pick your timing, and not make it confrontational, I don't see how you can fail..........you obviously want to try something to help, that's why you posted here, I don't think surgery sounds like the answer for her, just like it wasn't for me.

For those of y'all who didn't see my Dec. post, I've repeated it for your convenience here.

I am 5' 10", am active at home (calithenics, weights, running, walking, etc.)
And since the middle of July, I have averaged 140 lbs.:cool:

Perhaps that's helped by the fact that I am 17 yr. old.

I just weighed this morning, and the results are: 139 lbs.

Hi, I am new to this site...I also made a January commitment to remove some extra poundage. As I have tried this many, many, many times in the past 4 years, I decided I needed some extra support. I, with the encouragement of my superfab hubby, decided to invest in a personal trainer for this entire year. A serious investment that I am confident will pay off. I am 5'6.5" and currently at 184 lbs. I had major surgery in May and am very thankful to be alive today. I have had no energy for a long time and have fought food cravings that at times I think are controlling me. Now, I am looking forward to getting healthy and strong.

My trainer says I have to focus on nutrition and weight training primarily and on cardio training secondary. I have a deep desire to be successful and wish all of you beginning a program this year tons of success for yourselves as well!

Next year, I will be a healthier, leaner, more energetic Jenny!! YAHOO!!!

Good luck to you, Jenny. You've got the advantages on your side: a supportive spouse, a personal trainer, and most importantly a strong committment and desire to succeed.:)

Jenny, I'm sure you will meet your goals. It is hard to make such committments, but I decided to put myself first for three months and get as healthy as possible - not that 3 months will do it, but will give me a good start and time to form very good habits. I can't get a personal trainer for the year, but am getting one by the hour when I need one. Even in just 2 weeks I can tell a difference in the way I feel. My body actuall feels different. We do have to make our health a way of life - and other things fall into place.

Back
Top Bottom