"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-14-2006, 10:00 PM   #31
Master Chef

daughter

Kyles & Jkath, thank you for the advice about my daughter, but I don't think that will work. Her husband reminds her every day about her weight. They have a pretty volatal relationship, and her only real joy is in her little boy.
She and I had a hard time after I left and divorced her dad, and it's only been since her little boy was born that we have re-bonded. I can't to do anything to jeopardize the relationship we have now.
I did mention to her once the by-pass surgery that a friend of ours had, and she said she had considered that, but...the reason she was fat was that she loved to eat, and she wasn't willing to give that up.
What could I say?

Old 01-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Constance, I am not quite sure why you don't think my approach will work.........I adore food (um this is a cooking site LOL) and I conciously decided, that although I met every criteria going for free weight loss surgery paid for my the state (I am in the UK) I could not do that.

I adore food, my eating plan contains real food, no mush, no liquid, no supplements, just food. Chocolate, cheese, pasta, everything is there, but in moderation, weighed out and planned. It only takes about 6 weeks to get used to measuring and planning, by which time a routine has set in and it becomes part of your life.

You wouldn't even know by the way I eat that I am on a permanent life changing diet.

Gastric bypass surgery might work for some, and for some people it's completely justified, if they have urgent medical needs and have to get the weight off.

For most of us, it's not necessary. It's also potentially dangerous, and it does mean your body no longer will be getting the nutrients you need and you will have to supplement your diet with pills f.o.r.e.v.e.r. Which is not only inconvenient, but expensive.

There is no easy way to lose the weight, but what I think your daughter needs is to meet other people, and three fat chicks are full of em, who adore food and have found away to incorporate real food that they love into their eating plans, and lose weight.

If you keep telling yourself it can't be done, what hope does she have of believing that it can?

And her little boy, what better time than now to learn how to eat healthily so he never has the same battle, children of obese parents are far more likely to have the same problems.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but my own mother told me surgery was my only option, and that without it I would always be overweight, and here I am. 63 lbs lighter and now in onederland for the first time in my adult life!

if you pick your timing, and not make it confrontational, I don't see how you can fail..........you obviously want to try something to help, that's why you posted here, I don't think surgery sounds like the answer for her, just like it wasn't for me.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Cool

For those of y'all who didn't see my Dec. post, I've repeated it for your convenience here.

I am 5' 10", am active at home (calithenics, weights, running, walking, etc.)
And since the middle of July, I have averaged 140 lbs.

Perhaps that's helped by the fact that I am 17 yr. old.

I just weighed this morning, and the results are: 139 lbs.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #34
Master Chef

txguy, where have you and your sister's been? Haven't seen Grace and Cam on her in a while either.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Yes.. where oh where have our young friends dissapeared too?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
ratzaphatzen skinny kids
Old 01-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Something happened and they can't be on here anymore. Same thing with me, except I got a break and can get back on.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Hi, I am new to this site...I also made a January commitment to remove some extra poundage. As I have tried this many, many, many times in the past 4 years, I decided I needed some extra support. I, with the encouragement of my superfab hubby, decided to invest in a personal trainer for this entire year. A serious investment that I am confident will pay off. I am 5'6.5" and currently at 184 lbs. I had major surgery in May and am very thankful to be alive today. I have had no energy for a long time and have fought food cravings that at times I think are controlling me. Now, I am looking forward to getting healthy and strong.

My trainer says I have to focus on nutrition and weight training primarily and on cardio training secondary. I have a deep desire to be successful and wish all of you beginning a program this year tons of success for yourselves as well!

Next year, I will be a healthier, leaner, more energetic Jenny!! YAHOO!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:08 AM   #39
Head Chef

Good luck to you, Jenny. You've got the advantages on your side: a supportive spouse, a personal trainer, and most importantly a strong committment and desire to succeed.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Jenny, I'm sure you will meet your goals. It is hard to make such committments, but I decided to put myself first for three months and get as healthy as possible - not that 3 months will do it, but will give me a good start and time to form very good habits. I can't get a personal trainer for the year, but am getting one by the hour when I need one. Even in just 2 weeks I can tell a difference in the way I feel. My body actuall feels different. We do have to make our health a way of life - and other things fall into place.