"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
New Year (January) weigh in

Hi all, (okay big breath, I can do this) this is my first time posting in regards to “weigh ins”, but as there's no time like the present...

I've decided this year to make the most cliché of cliché (lol) resolutions and try to loose some weight and become a bit fitter. Without quite literally writing a novel about my life, I guess that I should point out that there are some things that are “against me” in this quest, but regardless I have faith in myself and am quite good at sticking to things, so perhaps there is a bit of hope for my plan.

What I mean by “against me” is that due to several severe medical conditions I am a bit limited in what I can do physically, and as well there are some foods which I am not able to eat. This point can be both a blessing and a curse, for example it's been years since I've touched soda, alcohol, carbonated drinks, caffeine, and many artificial chemicals/preservatives. As well I almost never have deep fried food (I can only think of one time in the past year) and cook mostly with my one non-stick frying pan (poor thing is sort of banged up though, it feel on the floor once and is now a bit out of shape). The down side is that there are some common every day foods that are off (or almost off) limits to me as well.

But nevertheless I've been eating pretty well for years to help my health issues. I just need to eat even healthier, and limit my intake of sugar. Since the 1st I've changed my diet a bit, and have not eaten any desserts or high fat foods. I've uped my grain and veg intake, and am trying to drink a bit more water. Over all I feel a bit hungry, but also good at the same time.

I will come clean and say that despite the fact that we have a scale, I have not yet weighed myself. I may, but I had very traumatic experiences in my childhood regarding my weight (which was never high, I was a perfectly normal, healthy child! It's a really long story, which I won't go into now) and they've left me quite scared and scarred in this area. Luckily I have a very carrying husband who supports me, and loves me as I am – this helps a great deal in terms of emotional support. I need to muster up the courage to get on the scale, but tears flow at the mere thought of doing that. But I know that sometimes “demons” need to be conquered and I may soon stand tall (lol, not really I'm only 5”2) upon the scale, if only for my own knowledge. I will also measure the key areas on my body (waist, hips, arms, etc), this doesn't bug me as much for some reason.

I know it sounds absurd, but this is so hard for me. I've practically never even talked about my weight in public before, but you guys are also dear friends and I know that I'll find support here.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, I guess what I want to say is that I'll be hanging out in the “weigh in” thread area from now on, to cheer you guys along and touch base with you about my own journey towards better health. Countless TIA for hearing me out.

Best of luck to everyone in their health goals this year!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Master Chef

Jessica, I told you about my weight problem. I love to eat and I hate to excersise!
I was 102 lbs up until I had my kids, then I weighed 115. NOW at 5'3", I weigh 163, which I am down from 170 in November. I had gotten to 180 a few years back and having small bones, did not look good for me! I lost 60 lbs. by changing food and getting on treadmill, up to 4 miles a day. I stopped when we moved while we remodeled the house. Then gained back 40 and haven't lost it since. The people here don't care about your looks, just you being you. Your a sweet and caring person and that's all that matters except your health. You don't have to lose a ton of weight to be healthy. Just eat right and get about 30 minutes of daily excersise, even if it's walking around your house as vigorous as you are able. I don't do enough myself, but, if you want, we can be weight partners. You can im me anytime you want and gripe, cry, complain, whatever!! Good luck! You can do.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Hospitality Queen

You guys are shining examples of why I love this board. Whenever someone discusses something quite private, scary or difficult, there's always another member ready to be their supportive cheerleader.

I finally started my exercise regimen early last spring at 38. I was at the gym 6-8x/week, 1 hour each time. I loved the results. I'd never felt better. Then we started the process of selling our house and getting it ready.....
Packing up a house is certainly good exercise, and I did work my biceps!
But, then I got very ill for a couple of weeks....followed by the move....followed by the holidays (where I must just eat and be sedentary!)
I'm back at the gym, each morning, but it's been difficult for me. We moved to a nearby city, so my gym pass works at the location that's right up the street. Problem is, the machines are different! And, in different locations! I'm totally lost. It's been really hard to exercise, when I'm limited to only a stairmaster, floor mats, inclines and cycling. I'm thinking of getting a trainer again for just a month to get me on a good regimen.
Short term goal: my h's big company banquet is in less than 3 weeks, and the dress I ordered is 1" smaller than my waist. (It's a 1940's themed banquet, so I had to really search for the right vintage gown.) I'm hoping my arms will look good and that I won't pop the side seaming out!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Master Chef

I'm sure you'll look great, jkath! You always look wonderful in the pictures that I have seen. I'm glad that your strong enough to get back at the excersising. I just have to find the willpower and the want to and I'll be okay.
I was on my eliptical everyday for 1-2 hours in November and the start of December and then I got really sick and wasn't able to get on it. I lost the willpower then. I just need something to get me going again.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Find a goal....even if it's one you have to make up! For example, find a reasonable date, and schedule a party at your house which includes not just the relatives! Or, perhaps make a mini-reunion of your old high school pals.
How about if you reach your goal, you get to treat yourself to a day at the salon for the works!
Or, come to So Cal in the summertime and hang out with me at Disneyland :)
(We'd both have to wear shorts!)
Old 01-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Master Chef

I guess I could find a bathing suit that is within reason and hang it up where I can see it everyday. A real one, No strings
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

As you all know, I'm pretty stove up. I was born with scoliosis, have 3 disks gone, the vertebrae are sitting askew, pinching nerves, plus bone spurs and arthritis in my back. Feet are messed up with bone spurs, periphreal neurapthy, and plantar faschitis. There is really no exercise that I can do, except some stretching exercises before I get out of bed in the morning.
That makes it harder to lose weight.
I'm 5'8" tall, and have gotten up to 170 lbs. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but my spine is so fragile that I really don't need to carry around that much weight.
If any of you have any thoughts on ways for me to burn calories, I'd love to hear them.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
As you all know, I'm pretty stove up. I was born with scoliosis, have 3 disks gone, the vertebrae are sitting askew, pinching nerves, plus bone spurs and arthritis in my back. Feet are messed up with bone spurs, periphreal neurapthy, and plantar faschitis. There is really no exercise that I can do, except some stretching exercises before I get out of bed in the morning.
That makes it harder to lose weight.
I'm 5'8" tall, and have gotten up to 170 lbs. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but my spine is so fragile that I really don't need to carry around that much weight.
If any of you have any thoughts on ways for me to burn calories, I'd love to hear them.
Can you go to a YMCA in your area? Or maybe ask your physician if there is somewhere you can swim that won't cost you anything?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've seen a few shows Constance with seniors doing exersice from a chair.
They do a lot of arm movements and leg lifting. Do a google search for
"chair exercise for seniors" and it'll bring up a few ideas.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Good ideas, Texas, but I live in the sticks, and don't drive. Still, I will talk to my doctor. He may have some suggestions.
Thank you for that idea, PDS! I will check it out!