No Meat - Once a Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It did come up, jp.
It came up in my bizzaro world thread on just meat for the day.
;^)

Fireweaver... I love squash.. all types, just not a fan of it in stews or soups. Prefer it baked or sauted. Thanks for the ideas!!!

Fireweaver... I love squash.. all types, just not a fan of it in stews or soups. Prefer it baked or sauted. Thanks for the ideas!!!

I bought three pumpkins the day after Halloween for a nickle a pound. I cut up the first one today and got over a gallon of cubes, so I'll be looking for some squash recipes as well =)

Okay DramaQueen - so what did you read & what "TV special" did you see that supported your incorrect statements that there are different kinds of "flesh"? Because frankly, popular media these days is pretty accurate re: this stuff.

There isn't anything I can supply to support your incorrect statement that some flesh is meat & some fish & some poultry, because it's way too wide a field. Again - FLESH IS FLESH. IT'S ALL THE SAME. Unless you're speaking religiously, & you have yet to state that that's what you're talking about.

It's up to the individual to decide whether they wish to not consume ANY animal flesh (mammal, poultry, seafood), or to not consume any portions thereof.

Beef is flesh.
Veal is flesh.
Pork is flesh.
Chicken is flesh.
Turkey is flesh.
Fish is flesh.
Shrimp are flesh.
Clams are flesh.
Mealworms are flesh.
Crickets are flesh.

Get the idea?

From Wikipedia:

The word meat is also used by the meat packing and butchering industry in a more restrictive sense—the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, etc.) raised and butchered for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish, poultry, and eggs. Eggs and seafood are rarely referred to as meat even though they consist of animal tissue.

Would a just past rare ribeye by any other name taste as sweet?

I bought three pumpkins the day after Halloween for a nickle a pound. I cut up the first one today and got over a gallon of cubes, so I'll be looking for some squash recipes as well =)

One of my favorites is roasted butternut... I would think that a pumpkin and butternut may have smilar flavors, so I too would be interested!

I do like the cream of type soups, but DH would prefer to have some sort of hunks of food in his.

I still got a day to figure it all out!!

I didn't have time to read all the way through...but how about veggie pizza?

Another favorite! Take a large flour tortilla and from the bottom up top it with:

Pesto or just a drizzle of olive oil and kosher salt
spinach or arugula (leftover baby romaine or other baby lettuces work quite well too)
water-packed mozzarella or plain shredded mozzarella or goat cheese
sliced roma
roasted red peppers
thinly sliced onions (julienne is best for ease in eating)
walnuts

For those days when you want a protein on there you can add some sliced cooked shrimp, chunked cooked chicken, sliced Italian sausage, or Canadian bacon, chopped.

Bake 350 for 25 minutes. Plan on making 1 per person. These are very thin and you really won't want to share...trust me!

alright, sattie, if butternut is your deal: i was at a vegetarian restaurant with some friends this weekend (they'd come into town to visit me, and are vegetarian, and my carnivore boyfriend claimed to know of some spectacular veg restaurant he'd never told me about before, and wow was he right), and the cooking there was both really unique and really good.
THEVEGETABLEGARDEN.COM
it claims to be a chinese vegetarian place, but i would have put it more pan-asian as there were veg sushi items and some indian-flavored items. i had the "lo hen cantaloupe" which was "Yuba, cucumber, celery, butternut squash, jicama, cantaloupe, black mushrooms, pecan, cashew nuts & dried cranberries in curry & coconut sauce." came served in a half-cantaloupe, with chunks of the veggies and the sauce spilling out gorgeously all over the plate. no idea how exactly you'd recreate this (i do believe it was steamed rather than sauteed, but can't be sure), but it was AMAZING.

That does sound good fireweaver. Normally, you would have to drag me into a vegetarian only restaurant, but this almost sounds like I could forget that they do not serve meat!

KE... the pizza idea sounds great too! I never would have thought about adding nuts to a pizza! Awesome!!

fireweaver... I just went and checked out that link you posted... OH MY!! Now that I could handle without ANY issues!!! I'm off to see if I can find something similar like that around here!!!

I actually probably eat one meat meal a week, though I cook more meat than that for DH and the border. I was a strict vegetarian but when I became anemic the doctor wanted me to add some meat protein to my diet. I do a lot of pastas, meal salads, and items where you can add meat or not. I do eat chicken and fish more than I do red meat.

We did a vegetarian dinner last night, thought I'd share as it was quite enjoyable (though it was a very casual, snacky meal). We had homemade pitas, roasted garlic & hummus with some goat brie. Feta probably would have been more thematic and calamata olives would have fit in nicely, but we had enough as it was. In fact we had some calamatas in the house and talked about bringing some out, but by the time we remembered them, we were both well on the way to stuffed and didn't feel the need to add anything to the selection.

It should be noted that most cheeses will probably not qualify if you want to be strict about your vegetarian nights, since most cheese is made with rennet, which is generally considered a meat product. But if you decide to allow chicken/beef broth, then I'm sure cheeses should be fine too.

That's a good idea with the tortillas, kitchenelf. I'm always looking for ways to use up a package after it's been opened.

Back
Top Bottom