"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Master Chef

No Meat - Once a Week

After watching an episode of 30 Days last night, DH and I are inspired to eliminate meat from 1 dinner a week. (This is a starting point... I do hope to make it 3 or 4 days a week.)

With that being said, I would like some ideas on hearty meals that will fill the void and still be satisfying. Both DH and I love our veggies respectively, but not so much that we would eat a veggie stew. And we are not looking to replace meat with a soy product either.

I guess I could use this one day to really try some new and exciting stuff!

TIA!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

We did this by making large salads with all the veggies that we liked, a soup and bread.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

That is a great idea.... now I'm trying to think of a good soup without meat!!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Make omelets stuffed with your favorite ingredients. Have baked potato nights with plenty of toppings. Any creamed soup or potato soup is good too...
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Head Chef

I eat fish (salmon, trout, halibut) or shellfish (shrimp, scallops) twice per week religiously. But I also have one day that I eat no meat, poultry or seafood. My dinner can consist of a soup, salad with cheese or beans, a slice of crusty artisan bread and fruit for dessert.
Or I make an assortmant of steamed veggies OR a vegetarian pasta dish with a salad and bread. The content of the pasta sauce, the salads and the veggie medley is up to you but you get the idea. I even like an omellette for dinner with toast and jam. Not a health issue, I just like those things. Works for me.

But I can't give up my veal, beef, pork or lamb the rest of the week.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

DH is not big on omelets... but I guess that does not mean that he could have scrambled eggs. Cream of potato soup sounds great. Actually, I make a leek and potato soup that is really good. But if I use chicken broth... does that count as a meat????
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I always had a meatless meal once a week. This time of the year, macaroni and cheese, a tossed salad and some crusty bread was one of our favorites.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I eat fish (salmon, trout, halibut) or shellfish (shrimp, scallops) twice per week religiously. But I also have one day that I eat no meat, poultry or seafood. My dinner can consist of a soup, salad with cheese or beans, a slice of crusty artisan bread and fruit for dessert.
Or I make an assortmant of steamed veggies OR a vegetarian pasta dish with a salad and bread. The content of the pasta sauce, the salads and the veggie medley is up to you but you get the idea. I even like an omellette for dinner with toast and jam. Not a health issue, I just like those things. Works for me.

But I can't give up my veal, beef, pork or lamb the rest of the week.
Thanks for the ideas DQ... and like you, I like my meat. I just want to do something good for me and good for the environment. Even if it is baby steps.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
That is a great idea.... now I'm trying to think of a good soup without meat!!

How about vegetable soup, tomato soup, potato leek soup, carrot/cilantro soup, mushroom soup, butternut squash soup, onion soup, the list goes on forever. You can google "vegetarian soups" and find more soups than you knew existed. All of these soups are very easy to make and if you make a large pot you can freeze individual meal sized portions for next time.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Buck and I always had a meatless meal once a week. This time of the year, macaroni and cheese, a tossed salad and some crusty bread was one of our favorites.
Ahhhh.... very nice.... that does sound good!