"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
i'm all over coffee & tea, and there are plenty of places online to get good quality stuff, if you don't want the decent things at the grocery store.

if you do want to go with food, how about nuts? i know most people at the holidays candy nuts (sugar coatings & all), but there are plenty of ways to roast & prep nuts sans carbs. like marcona-style almonds, dry roasted and then shaken with olive oil & coarse sea salt, or the incredible curried cashews i got at the local organic market a few weeks back.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 AM   #12
Master Chef

Here is a bean soup mix that I made for my coworkers a few years ago. I put it in the decorative plastic bags and attached the directions for making the recipe on a card.

Basic Bean Soup Mix
Dried bean mix:

1 lb. dried kidney beans
1 lb. dried yellow lentils
1 lb. dried green split peas
1 lb. dried black beans
1 lb. dried black-eyed peas

To prepare dried bean mix, combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Divide the bean mixture into 5 equal portions (about 2½ cups each), and place in airtight containers.

Spice mix:

5 teaspoons salt
5 teaspoons dried basil
5 teaspoons dried rosemary
5 teaspoons dried marjoram
2½ teaspoons black pepper
1¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper
5 bay leaves

To prepare spice mix, combine the salt and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Divide spice mix into 5 equal portions. Place in small airtight containers.

Directions for preparing the soup using 1 packet of dried bean soup mix and 1 packet of spice mix:

6-8 cups water
1 smoked ham hock (1/2 lb.)
1 cup chopped onion
1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained

To prepare soup, sort and wash dried beans. Place in large pot. Cover with additional water 2” above beans; cover and let soak 8 hours. Drain. Combine drained bean mixture, 6-8 cups of water, and ham hock in large pot; bring to boil. Add packet of spice mix, onion, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Uncover and cook for one hour. Discard bay leaf. Remove ham hock from soup. Remove meat from bone. Shred meat and return to soup. Makes 6 servings.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote