"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Non-sugar, low-carb gift ideas

Being a bit hard up this Christmas, Iím intending to make edible gifts for my colleagues at work. However, one of my workmates is a diabetic, so anything which includes sugar is out for her. On top of this, she tries to avoid too many carbohydrates (again, because of her diabetes) and doesnít like artificial sweeteners.

Does anyone have any ideas for a nice gift for her? Any ideas you have would be very much appreciated! I'm struggling to think of something, but would love to give her something homemade.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Head Chef

How about a cheese ball?

Lots of good stuff you can put in one of those babies!

Lee

Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Head Chef

The recipe Czar has some great recipes just for this!!

Community Forums - Low Carb Gifts -- From the Kitchen!

Or my favorite--Beef Jerky!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
Being a bit hard up this Christmas, Iím intending to make edible gifts for my colleagues at work. However, one of my workmates is a diabetic, so anything which includes sugar is out for her. On top of this, she tries to avoid too many carbohydrates (again, because of her diabetes) and doesnít like artificial sweeteners.

Does anyone have any ideas for a nice gift for her? Any ideas you have would be very much appreciated! I'm struggling to think of something, but would love to give her something homemade.
Stassie,
have you noticed what she usually brings for herself? If she is a coffee person a mug and some Christmas coffee, but home made is a harder task..Most things we make are loaded with carbs and when trying to keep level blood glucose we can't eat much of..If she likes cheese that would be nice, a tray of veggies and a nice ranch dip is one of my favorites and I only have to be careful of the carrots and snap peas, proteins are a good choice say make a ham spread or parmesan crisps, they are just cheese and lovely with soups and salads..I'll try to think of some other things I like and if anything interesting comes up, I'll post here for you.
Good luck, this is a thoughtful thing to do.
kadesma
Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Try this Stassie:
Stained Glass Christmas Cake (no flour!)
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have to vote for ... stay away from food! A nice mug/tea cup with some assortment of gourmet coffees or teas (or even just one - doesn't have to be expensive - it's the thought that counts, right?) in a nice basket would make a thoughtful gift, IMHO.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I vote for watching to see what she brings for herself, if you see something that looks like she made it, just say that looks good can I get the recipe. I did this with a friend who is diabetic and was really touched when the recipes he gave me showed up in the things I brought into work.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Considering her health condition, it would be safe to avoid giving her food or any edible related gift. Try giving as a gift instead things she could use.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I agree that food for your friend would be a little difficult to prepare. You may want to consider a package of soup beans -- usually a variety of beans and peas come packed in a see through bag with a spice packet included as well as directions. That way your friend can follow the directions and make a pot of bean soup when she feels like it. She can also add other ingredients like meat, ham bone, etc. if she wants to. Just make sure the ingredients in the spice packet do not include sugar (they usually don't). Otherwise, a lovely scented candle would be nice. They are inexpensive in a craft store and you may decorate them with ribbon, holly, little bells, etc. Good Luck -- let us know what you decide.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

I agree with MFtW that coffee or tea based gift is great. My husband loves tea since he was diagnosed. There are so many types of teas that you can really enjoy. A nice mug, a few tea bags, and pretty wrapping and you have it.