"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
First, congratulations on your little one. You've embarked on one of the most challenging and most rewarding adventures of your life.

I breastfed all my children and found great help and information from the La Leche League, here's a UK link for them. Perhaps there's a group near to you.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
I think avocados are high in fat too, but no cholesterol. But I agree with those who say you should get whatever professional advice you can. Sorry to hear about the health care situation there...I think we Canadians take our system for granted sometimes.
Very true Erik!

I'll keep forwarding my info to you Kylie.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
At the moment, I find La Leche and NCT (national childbirth trust - of which I am a member) a bit difficult to deal with, as I am not breastfeeding exactly, he is in an incubator and being fed through a tube in his mouth. The long line should be coming out today and total parental nutrition stopped.

I rang the La Leche league in the beginning for support and their advice nearly stopped me expressing altogether, they said I should be aiming for every two hours! I had enough breast milk to feed a small third world village, and engorged breasts. I'm now doing every 4 hours during the day and dropping a feed at night. I can always express more often if I need to. I already have loads in storage.

I've had to find my own way for the moment. I actually feel quite alone, all the other mums in the unit are formula feeding and none of their babies are as critical as Joseph. Every midwife, doctor and nurse says different things. Joe is getting excellent care, but I've had to resort to the internet to find out what I should be eating - its not very fair.

On the dietician thing, you can only see one here for an acute phase of a chronic condition, or a new condition eg newly diagnosed diabetic. Private dieticians don't exist up here in the north!

I have had very good healthcare herethough, I wouldn't dare criticise. I was hours away from death. I got experimental treatment most hospitals in the UK don't pay for. And I have my son!

I just need to find my sanity!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Omigosh, kyles. By all means, express as much as you can and store it for your son. Sorry that La Leche was not so helpful.

The best thing you can do, from personal experience, is to express and save. There's nothing better for your baby than your own milk.

Hang in there, darlin', things will improve. Just cuddle your beautiful child. It will all work out. Sometimes it takes TIME.

I just wish I could give your a great big hug.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
Everymom

Kylie, Katie is spot on. You'll get where you need to be, it just all takes some time. And Erik and I weren't bashing the UK system, rather we were just commenting about our own. Its easy to find a dietician here, or any other professional you might need to see. We have wait lists in some areas, but you can get whatever you want whenever you want it.

Have you switched from expressing to nursing directly yet? Hes so preemie you might have issues with the latch. Don't be too discouraged, just keep doing what you are doing and keep trying. La Leche might be helpful there (do you have lactation consultants in the hospital?) and we are always here to help as we can.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
Master Chef

I drank two beers a night when I was nursing, and it certainly did not hurt my baby.
I ate lots of eggs, cheese and dairy, including 4 big glasses of milk a day. Besides your 3 regular meals, eat morning, afternoon and bedtime snacks. Jello with fruit, cottage cheese or puddings make good snacks...with a glass of milk, of course.
Eat good whole grain breads and pastas and a variety of vegetables.

Good luck, and remember, this is the natural way. There is nothing better for your baby than mother's milk.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

good to see you back here, kylie. Joseph is lovely. I don't have any good advice for you like Alix and Katie, but just keep your own health up and it is sure to affect Little Sweetie Pie.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
Executive Chef

what about olives? do you like them? I thought of you yesterday as I was making this salad, is one from GB....I went heavy on the olives..I also doubled the peas..

Black Eye Pea Salad

2 cups black eye peas
4 oz. white onion - diced
6 oz. red bell peppers - diced
4 oz. black olives - chopped
1 tbsp oregano
4 oz. parsley
(great with cilantro too)

For the dressing:
6 oz. EVOO
Zest of half a lime
4 oz. white vinegar
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix dressing in a separate bowl and pour over salad.
Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.

This is even better the second day.

We all are pulling for you and Joseph!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
Cook

I always check Kelly Mom for all my mommy questions...she has pretty much EVERYTHING. Here is her page about nursing a preemie...I hope you find some good info there :)
Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
He's still only 30 weeks, so is tube feeding. I am pushing to start breast feeding as soon as possible. He probably won't be able to latch til 34 weeks, but they like to start asap. Unfortunately he is still in an incubator, but he is now in High Dependency rather than Intensive Care so hopefully soon I will have more access. I don't think the unit are used to people who are determined to breast feed!

We'll get there, but its so hard. I hate having to go to hospital twice a day, and its not really set up for parents at all!