"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Nursing a prem baby - dietary help

My baby was born at 27 weeks gestation. His consultant has requested that I express with a view to nursing, which I am happy to do.

He has asked me to eat healthily but....to aim for 3000 calories a day!!!!! His reasoning is this - a normal woman needs 2000 a nursing woman needs 2500 but preemies have specific dietary needs, mainly more fat, so 3000 calories is desirable.

He has said no crisps/chips, but chocolate is fine

Trouble is I have been eating 1500 calories for so long I am really struggling. I have very little appetitie for anything other than fruit and veggies, even bread and other carb rich foods are not appealing to me at all.

Help!!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

maybe try ensure plus. it's nutritionally sound, 360 calories a bottle & doesn't bloat you with fullness or stuff like that. also, i must say it tastes pretty okay!

also, benecalorie. you mix that with other drinks.http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...26ds_url_v%3D2

Old 05-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef

do you like ice cream?
add butter and sour cream to mashed potatoes
cheese sauce on veggies
sweetened whipped cream with fruit
ever had spinach dip? I think it has loads of fat, like cream cheese and mayo
I'll keep thinking..
Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Everymom

Kylie, is he ONLY getting your expressed milk? If he is getting any supplement at all then you can likely just add a few more calories to your diet. Keep in mind you need to stay healthy too and too many extra calories might not be in YOUR best interests. Do you have a dietician that could assess this? Your angel's consultant is thinking primarily of him, but a dietician could likely balance things a bit better for you both so you won't compromise your own health and cholesterol levels.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Years ago nursing mothers were told to drink beer to increase milk production. I am not sure it is good for baby.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Kyles, listen to Alix, she is right on..Go to a dietitian and ask for help..Over doing the carbs and calories is not really going to add that much for your baby..You need to be on your toes and in good health...Please listen to Alix.
kadesma
Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Um this is England!!!! Ha Ha !!! You can't see a dietician here unless you have a mega serious health problem!!! I did double check Joseph's consultants advice with my own general practitioner and the obstetric registrar, who confirmed that it is correct advice for prem babies nutrition. They confirmed I can't see a dietician!!!! You don't even get your own ob/gy here. I've seen 20 different ones in four weeks!!!!!

The 2500 calories is standard advice in the UK and what the government recommends, so it really is not an issue. I can understand the reasoning for the 3000 but I think I will only hit that on occasional days. Joseph is on supplementary feeding as well as breast milk, but the total parental nutrition is being reduced all the time, and he should be totally breast fed by the end of next week....woo hoo My milk is being stored, I think I have about 100 60 ml bottles in storage. Its important that the milk contains a good proportion of fat, otherwise he'll have to go on formula and I DO NOT WANT THIS AT ALL!!!!! Breast feeding is really important to me.

I am pretty nutritionally aware, so I don't think cholesterol will be an issue, I just need to find ways to top up each meal. I have been hitting 2000 - 2500 most days, and have already lost about 20 pounds in 3 weeks!!!! It's all fluid rather than fat I think!

I think adding cream and full fat dairy to everything isn't the way to go. I need to add more protein and good carbs, its just hard because I am still only 3 weeks post op and don't have a lot of appetite.

Luvs, we don't have those supplements here!!!! England is rubbish!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Executive Chef

well, how do you feel about beans?! they are prefect high quality protein and good carbs...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Everymom

Holy crap Kylie, I had no idea it was so hard to see a dietician. I have two friends who are dieticians. I'll be seeing one of them on Tuesday so I will ask her for some specifics for your diet then. In the meantime a couple of little bits of info for you. The "fore milk" is the first stuff that leaves your body (like you couldn't guess that huh?) and it is higher in proteins and lower in fat. The "hindmilk" is the stuff that has a higher fat content. I believe its usually something like 2oz where it changes formulation a bit. The other bit (and I'm sure you know all this stuff already) is to be sure you sleep well. Your body produces prolactin while you sleep so its really crucial to sleep regularly when nursing. (Tell that to a colicky baby!!) Look for a support message board that deals with nursing issues, I know they are out there, and I know they have just a wealth of info for you. Nursing is tricky at first and he might not go for it at all. Keep the faith though and keep expressing. The important piece is that he gets your milk not so much HOW he gets it. (It sure makes life easier if its direct though!)

I think my suggestion for you would be to snack a bit on things like peanut butter and apples or crackers and cheese. That way you up your fat intake and you do it with proteins that will be good for him. "Good" fat if you will. Upping your dairy intake is a great idea too but I think rather than adding sour cream etc you could easily just switch from 1% or 2% milk to whole milk. Add cream to your tea instead of milk. Small adjustments but ones that might really help. Good luck and I'll post what my friend suggests on Tuesday.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I think avocados are high in fat too, but no cholesterol. But I agree with those who say you should get whatever professional advice you can. Sorry to hear about the health care situation there...I think we Canadians take our system for granted sometimes.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote