Oatmeal Can Help Remove Bad Cholesterol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poutine said:
Yes you should have high sugar content snacks when you have an attack but to AVOID an attack you should not be eating the "heavily-processed junk".

I agree. Further to that...your choices for high sugar items could be keys in other areas of your life. For example, making your own granola bars that are high in honey and dried fruit rather than relying on a Kit Kat could have a similar effect without all the negatives of the aforementioned junk.

There IS a lot of natural sugar in orange juice (oj).

Considered a no-no in low-carb diets and for people with high glucose levels, it's perfect for people like myself who have Type 2 diabetes. It helps me recover quickly from an attack.

But at times, I'm not always able to get near any oj, so a candy bar or a cupcake is the next best thing.

Carbohydrates are converted into sugar during digestion. A couple of saltine crackers will have the same effect on your hypoglycemia as a candy bar, and crackers won't rot your teeth.

Oatmeal is a favorite of mine.

In a medium bowl 2/3 cup of water
add 1/3 cup of the old fashioned oatmeal

place in microwave for 2 minutes

done

I add sprinkle of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground almonds
2 teaspoons plain low fat yogurt

Delicious and good for you

The researchers have released reports which state that the number of people in the US who have diabetes is at epidemic levels. Since we are all at risk to develop type 1 or 2 diabetes, we should learn as much actual facts about the disease.
Maybe Corey123 can tell us which people are most likely to develop diabetes and why. Does it have to do with DNA? Somewhere I read that DNA which does not contain all of the elements is a link to diabetes.
It is much more than food choices that affect a diabetic. People who think they know more about your diabetes than you do create a lot of tension and stress....hypertention!

It mainly depends on your family's health history. If your parents and or grandparents had it, then there's a high chance that you'll get it also.

My mom and one of my brothers had it, my oldest brother and I have it. It ran like wildfire on my father's side of the family. And it's mostly known that obesity is one of the main causes, as is high blood pressure, stress, high cholesterol levels and other things. If it's in your family genes, yes, you're a prime candidate for it.

But skinny people can get it as well, so it does not discriminate.

My dear brother who died as a result of not doing the right thing to at least control it, left behind a loving caring wife and two sons. I told his two sons that they must keep and eye out for any symtoms of diabetes, because they are now at risk for getting it since their dad had it.

I haven't heard anything about DNA causing it. But it's most likely that Afro-Americans, Spanish, Asian, Italians, White and other nationalities have it running in their families as we speak. Because more than likely, diabetes ran in their families even before THEY were born.

Oatmeal IS one of the best defenses against bad cholesterol, along with any medicine you might be on for it. But you should still see your doctor so that he or she can help monitor it in your blood, letting you know if it went down.

The norm now is to take your medicine, eat healthy, exercise and see your doctor. And eat oatmeal for breakfast for at least a month to see if you've lost any of the bad cholesterol.

Last edited:
Caine said:
BTW, that little packet of instant oatmeal you are about to eat? It has more sugar than Fidel Castro!

Humm ... really?

I don't think Quaker Oats could really get by with telling big whopper lies on their nutrition information panel on their packages in the U.S. .... and according to the package ... original instant oatmeal packages contain "0g Sugar" - see the info here. Of course, if you select one of the sweetened versions then you are looking at 14-16g of sugar per packet - a little less than or about equal to a whopping 1-Tbsp of honey or sugar. Of course, a packet of original oatmeal with some fruit mixed in will contain some sugar ... depending on the fruit and the amount ... as much if not more than in a tablespoon of sugar or honey.

I'll admit that there may be other brands of instant oats out there that might have more sugar than the Quaker Oats brands (if sweetened) ... but would "one packet" really rival the amout of sugar in Cuba?

If Mary Poppins was right (that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down) then this seems a small price to pay for the benefits of eating a bowl of oats for their cholesterol lowering soluble fiber!

My FAVORITE story about oats:

Samuel Johnson (an Englishman) referred, disparagingly, to oats in his A Dictionary of the English Language (circa 1747-1755):

.... A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.

To which his biographer, James Boswell (a good Scotsman), is said to have retorted:

.... Which is why England is known for its fine horses, and Scotland for its fine people.

Heck, yeah - I believe oats are healthy! I just don't believe in the "wholesale demonization" of packets of instant oats because they might contain some sugar.

Last edited:
I am saying:

1. The little packets of FLAVORED instant oatmeal are processed with sugar, while the large cylindrical containers of Quick oats are not, so using the oats in the cylindrical containers will save you both money and calories.

2. Considering the BEST you're going to do is a whopping 7 point reduction in your cholesterol level after eating oatmeal for 30 days, oatmeal in itself is pretty insignifcant in reducing your cholesterol. Including oatmeal in your diet as PART of your quest to lower cholesterol is great, along with leaner meats, more fish, more vegetables and fruits, etc., but don't count on ONLY oatmeal to fix the problem.

just the other day (Monday) on the way home from the doctor's office and just before exiting the subway, I felt myself getting sick.

Another hypoglysemic attack was coming on! I had less than a dollar in change on me. When I reached street level, I had to run into a convenience store and buy a Snickers candy bar.

Had I not done that, I don't think that I would have gotten home without getting gravely sick!!

Corey, you would do well to buy some fruit bars to carry with you. They are small and fit in any pocket and they will give you the sugar boost you need without "empty calories".

I DO have some Rice Krispies bars. And I could have done that yesterday or today, since I was picking up a few things!

Cholesterol-lowering foods

Looks like there are few foods that can lower cholestorol and it is good to eat a variety of them:
University of Toronto -- News@UofT -- Cholesterol-lowering foods most effective when combined: U of T study (Mar 8/06) "Cholesterol-lowering foods such as soy protein, almonds, plant sterol enriched margarines, oats and barley may reduce cholesterol levels more effectively when eaten in combination, says a new University of Toronto study by Professor David Jenkins. ... ..."

Corey123 said:
I DO have some Rice Krispies bars. And I could have done that yesterday or today, since I was picking up a few things!

Rice crispie bars aren't really what I meant. Do you not have Fruit to Go bars in the US? or those Fruit and Veggie bars?

Thanks for the reminder, have not had oatmeal for a while, Tommorows breakfast, topped with a little cream and brown suger!!

Alix, Thanks for telling us about Fruit Bars. I am not aware of any. Would you tell us more about them. How packaged? Brand name? etc. Thanks
I us Kashi Bars. They are loaded with good stuff...but not fruit..mostly nuts and grains. Tell us more please.

This is the most common brand:

Sun-Rype - these particular ones will probably be hard to find in the US as it's a brand from Kelowna, BC, Canada (my hometown, w00!) in the Okanagan Valley.

It's basically just dried fruit pressed into a bar...did you ever have fruit leather? Same idea, more or less. You could really just carry around a baggy of dried fruits and it would be similar...although not as convenient.

Usually found right near the granola bars in the grocery stores in these parts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom