Oatmeal Can Help Remove Bad Cholesterol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Yet another Canadian thing that I just assumed you had in the US too. Sorry Corey. If you can't get fruit bars, carry a baggie with dried apricots or raisins or something with you. Trail mix is good too. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, and my youngest daughter has just discovered the wonders of oatmeal. Its her breakfast of choice now. I'm wondering just how low your cholesterol can go, the kids is so danged skinny and eats such a healthy diet (most of the time!) her numbers might be on the negative end if she eats too much more oatmeal! :LOL:

Corey, we have all kinds of bars in the supermarkets here. I believe they are in the health section with the protein drinks. Just ask when you walk in the market.

Mr HB carries them for his 3:00 snack. Many of the bars are based on oatmeal because it is well known to have so many health benefits.

Yeah, and then there's the natural cereals which also have tons of oatmeal.

While in one of the convenience stores in my area, I was getting something to drink, and happened upon OATMEAL DRINK! It comes in small cans.

Has anyone ever tried this yet? I was afraid to.

I have some homemade oatmeal, applesauce and dried fruit cookies for breakfast and snack everyday. They're yummy.

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup apple sauce
1 egg
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup dried mixed berries

Last edited:
Oatmeal drink, what WILL they think of next?

You know, eating whole grains is very important and CAN lower your cholesterol as PART of a healthy diet. Its by no means a cure all, and is not very miraculous. It really needs to be just one part of a whole different lifestyle to really work.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer or killjoy. Just wanted to make sure no one was thinking this would cure them of high cholesterol.

Oh yes, I know that it won't. My doc even told me that.

Notice, if you will, that I titled this thread "Oatmeal Can Help Remove bad Cholesterol", with the key word being Help. So that no one interprets this the wrong way, everyone SHOULD still see their doctor in helping to reduce bad cholesterol.

But I'm happy to report that I've successfully passed the stress test! Didn't pass the pulminary (breathing) test though. The lungs are at a slightly less breathing capacity.

Last edited:
Yes Oatmeal is a healthy food. Here is a Oatmeal Health Cookie

1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup dried carnberries or other dried fruit cherries, blueberries (soak dried fruit in organge juice (just to cover dried fruit)
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
7/8 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Drop tablespoon on baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake 350 oven
12-15 minutes. Depending on size makes 2 dozen

I just had to come and give my 2 cents.
I am also trying to lower my cholesterol
I have just discovered "Old Fasion Steel Cut Oats.''
This is good stuff! You won't go to back to the flakes after trying this.It's a bit more trouble but well worth it.
This is what I did.
I mixed 1 cup of the oats with 4 cups boiling water,covered it and let it soak overnight.I then put it on the stove at Medium and let it simmer 20 minutes.I spooned in a container; put it in the refrigerator.The next day it is thick like cold polenta. I spoon a potion off, put in my cereal bowl;microwaved 2 minutes,topped with a bit of brown sugar and a bit of milk.This is absolutely the best oatmeal ever.And the nice part is your oatmeal is ready in 2 minutes every morning. Give it a try!
:chef:

I soak my oatmeal overnight in milk, then heat it in the microwave with a little more milk to loosen it up and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

When it is done, I add about 1/2 cup of frozen fruit.

or

Instead of the fruit, sometimes I mix in some canned pumpkin, sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice and a bit of sugar.

I eat steel cut oats every morning. I add some ground flax seed, cinnamon, nutmeg and blueberries. I love dried figs too but not often (way more calories!)

Jan, the pumpkin sounds so yummmy!!

Half Baked said:
Corey, we have all kinds of bars in the supermarkets here. I believe they are in the health section with the protein drinks. Just ask when you walk in the market.

Mr HB carries them for his 3:00 snack. Many of the bars are based on oatmeal because it is well known to have so many health benefits.

I DID buy some Kellog's Nutrigrain Bars today while at the supermarket. They have fruit & yogurt fillings.

redkitty said:
I eat steel cut oats every morning. I add some ground flax seed, cinnamon, nutmeg and blueberries. I love dried figs too but not often (way more calories!)

Jan, the pumpkin sounds so yummmy!!

It is really good redkitty! Some people sprinkle some dry hot chocolate mix on it for a chocolately pumpkin flavor but it doesn't appeal to me.

What could be healthier than pumpkin, oatmeal and 1% milk? :)

Aria,
Thanks for the oatmeal cookie receipe. I made it yesterday for the fam to take to work as their 3p snack! Very good. I added some ground flax seed.
nancylee

nancylee, Yes you can add other health ingredients. This is my basic Health Oatmeal Cookie. Low on fat, low on sugar and high on healthy stuff. I usually add ground flax seed and others. You have my basic receipe then
add to it. ENJOY.

NOTICE: This thread has been split

Corey123 started this thread to discuss how Oatmeal Can Help Remove Bad Cholesterol but it got hijacked into a discussion about sugar.

The posts discussing sugar have been split into a new thread in this forum under the title: Sugar - Can it be Healthy? (split)

Post #8 in this thread (p1) has some info.

As to the issue of having a hypo, the fruit bars etc that maybe healthier (and that is debatable when you take into account the sugar, fat and salt content of most of them) for you are great to carry around when you are getting late for a meal or your medication to prevent the hypo from happening but if you are in the process of the hypo, you need sugar very fast, faster than the body can convert carbohydrates to sugar. You need to have something like a boiled sweet, esp barleysugars, or a jelly bean (glucose), or a sugary drink, apple juice is ideal but other fruit juices are good too. The consequences of not dealing with a hypo attack can be serious. And the early stages of a hypo aren't pleasant either. Thankfully, I have never got to the serious point.

A freind of mind has the same problem of corey, He always carries 1 or 2 of those little packages of sugar in his wallet, but he also makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and takes it with him when he leaves the house. He eats a healthy diet also. No fast food. he eats alot of little healthy meals through the day like those to go soups carrots , celery, PB& j , yogurt , small salad, cheese and crackers, trail mix etc. and he hasn't had a an attack in years. He must be doing something right

A freind of mind has the same problem of corey, He always carries 1 or 2 of those little packages of sugar in his wallet, but he also makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and takes it with him when he leaves the house. He eats a healthy diet also. No fast food. he eats alot of little healthy meals through the day like those to go soups carrots , celery, PB& j , yogurt , small salad, cheese and crackers, trail mix etc. and he hasn't had a an attack in years. He must be doing something right
He most definitely is! Fat (both in food and around the waist) is a diabetic's enemy.

Back
Top Bottom