"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Corey, we have all kinds of bars in the supermarkets here. I believe they are in the health section with the protein drinks. Just ask when you walk in the market.

Mr HB carries them for his 3:00 snack. Many of the bars are based on oatmeal because it is well known to have so many health benefits.

I DID buy some Kellog's Nutrigrain Bars today while at the supermarket. They have fruit & yogurt fillings.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
I eat steel cut oats every morning. I add some ground flax seed, cinnamon, nutmeg and blueberries. I love dried figs too but not often (way more calories!)

Jan, the pumpkin sounds so yummmy!!
It is really good redkitty! Some people sprinkle some dry hot chocolate mix on it for a chocolately pumpkin flavor but it doesn't appeal to me.

What could be healthier than pumpkin, oatmeal and 1% milk?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked

What could be healthier than pumpkin, oatmeal and 1% milk?

You got it!! That's how I eat it.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #54
Assistant Cook

Aria,
Thanks for the oatmeal cookie receipe. I made it yesterday for the fam to take to work as their 3p snack! Very good. I added some ground flax seed.
nancylee
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #55
Sous Chef

nancylee, Yes you can add other health ingredients. This is my basic Health Oatmeal Cookie. Low on fat, low on sugar and high on healthy stuff. I usually add ground flax seed and others. You have my basic receipe then
add to it. ENJOY.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #56
Master Chef

Exclamation NOTICE: This thread has been split

Corey123 started this thread to discuss how Oatmeal Can Help Remove Bad Cholesterol but it got hijacked into a discussion about sugar.

The posts discussing sugar have been split into a new thread in this forum under the title: Sugar - Can it be Healthy? (split)
Old 02-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Thank you, Mike!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Post #8 in this thread (p1) has some info.

As to the issue of having a hypo, the fruit bars etc that maybe healthier (and that is debatable when you take into account the sugar, fat and salt content of most of them) for you are great to carry around when you are getting late for a meal or your medication to prevent the hypo from happening but if you are in the process of the hypo, you need sugar very fast, faster than the body can convert carbohydrates to sugar. You need to have something like a boiled sweet, esp barleysugars, or a jelly bean (glucose), or a sugary drink, apple juice is ideal but other fruit juices are good too. The consequences of not dealing with a hypo attack can be serious. And the early stages of a hypo aren't pleasant either. Thankfully, I have never got to the serious point.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #59
Head Chef

A freind of mind has the same problem of corey, He always carries 1 or 2 of those little packages of sugar in his wallet, but he also makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and takes it with him when he leaves the house. He eats a healthy diet also. No fast food. he eats alot of little healthy meals through the day like those to go soups carrots , celery, PB& j , yogurt , small salad, cheese and crackers, trail mix etc. and he hasn't had a an attack in years. He must be doing something right
Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
A freind of mind has the same problem of corey, He always carries 1 or 2 of those little packages of sugar in his wallet, but he also makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and takes it with him when he leaves the house. He eats a healthy diet also. No fast food. he eats alot of little healthy meals through the day like those to go soups carrots , celery, PB& j , yogurt , small salad, cheese and crackers, trail mix etc. and he hasn't had a an attack in years. He must be doing something right
He most definitely is! Fat (both in food and around the waist) is a diabetic's enemy.