Oatmeal Can Help Remove Bad Cholesterol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to mention that I had a box of Maypo. I got all tuned up to have some one morning for breakfast, and was about to pour some of it from the box into the boiling water when I notice a winged insect in the water.

I changed the water and started all over again. Round two. I poured some of it into the boiling water again - and found out to my horror, that the WHOLE box of Maypo was infested with these small winged bugs! Needless to say, I was livid!!

And here's the REAL kicker; The box was never opened before, nor was it outdated!!!!

Last edited:
For oatmeal to be effective in reducing cholesterol, must it be the long cook variety. Does instant do the trick?

My doctor says instant is useleass & it must be the cooked type.

skeetdad, its the fibre that is important. The long cooking variety has more fiber = better for you. The instant is OK, just don't choose a package that has a ton of the flavoring in it. You might be getting some fiber but offsetting the good it does by increasing your sugar intake by WAY too much. Good luck to you.

I make steel cut oatmeal in my crock pot, they turn out perfectly every time!! They are a perfect fuel and keep the hungries away for hours. These keep their wonderful consistency after refrigeration and re-heat perfectly in the microwave for a couple minutes.

Use the crock as a bain marie. I use a glass four-cup measuring bowl and add 1 cup of steel cut oats. Add about 1 c of rice or almond milk and about 3 1/2 c of water. You don't need to add the rice / almond milk, I just prefer it for the extra bit of flavor it gives. You could also easily substitute it with milk of any kind. Add a generous 1/2 t salt as well.

Put the bowl filled with the oats in the crock pot and fill with water until it's about three-quarters of up the outside of the oat container. Mine takes about six cups of water to fill, yours will probably be different depending on the size of bowl you use for your oats and the size of your crock pot. It can go on low overnight and it will be ready for breakfast or can put on high for about four hours.

I love, love it made this way and eat it way more often now. I make it at least once a week so have it ready for breakfast or lunch whenever the mood strikes. My favorite way to eat it is by adding a T or two of peanut butter and slicing a banana into it. Close second would have to be with maple syrup and cinnamon. mmmmm

Here are a few ways I've made oats, for a snack, or for breakfast.

My favorite way is when my son makes granola in the big roasting pan. He takes some water, oil, honey, cinnamon, heats it up and pours it over the old fashioned rolled oats (and nuts, grains optional). Bakes it at 200 to 250 degrees F stirring occasionally until all of it is nicely light brown--the flavor is so great when it is toasted. Then add dried fruits as you wish, mix and store.
Serve: Granola with cold milk. The crunchy oats and chewy fruits taste good with the cold milk.
Serve: 1/2 cup homemade vanilla yogurt (greek style is decadent), strawberries (or other berries), topped with crunchy granola. It's fresh, creamy and crunchy all at once.
We make about a gallon at a time--of the granola.

Steel cut oats. I cook them up at night and then refrigerate. Scoop some out of the container and warm in the microwave, add sweetener if desired, fruit if desired, milk if desired.

Oatmeal at work: 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats, water to fill the large mug, microwave. Add a small touch of sugar, and either a half of a banana sliced or a chopped apple, a little cinnamon. The banana or apple pieces get nicely warm when they are mixed together with the oatmeal.

Honey is more nutritious than sugar, though it won't help with blood sugar spikes. The best way to reduce blood sugar spikes is to reduce the need for so much sugar or honey, use just a touch of it. Instead of tasting the sugars, taste the food. (same with salt, sea salt, etc)

The oatmeal drink (and there is a rice drink out there too) sound like good things for me to try. I haven't figured out a good healthy granola bar yet--just the granola part.

Last edited:
My Mom used to make her oatmeal with apple juice instead of water for extra taste and nutrition.

I wouldn't think that 110 was bad? MIne was 132 and they were proud of me.[/QUOTE]

I would love for mine to be that low - how about 229? and that's the lowest it's been in my life. Have a bad cholesterol gene in the family.

I always thought the reason oatmeal lowers cholesterol is if you're eating oatmeal - you've stopped eating bacon, sausage and ham for breakfast :LOL:

I like oatmeal, just don't want to live on it.

Back
Top Bottom