Oatmeal Can Help Remove Bad Cholesterol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
According to the American Heart Association, if you eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning for a month, you could see a much lower level in your body's bad cholesterol.

Today, I started eating oatmeal, and will continue it to see if they are right. As you all know, cholesterol, or too much of it, can impair your heart's normal functions.

It can keep your heart from doing its job of pumping blood throughout your body normally. High blood pressure, among other things, can result from this.

A bowl of oatmeal each morning for a month could help your heart return to doing a better job of keeping blood moving at the normal rate. It could help you keep the bad cholesterol at bay.

I have been eating oatmeal everyday for years. The best kind to eat is steel cut oats. They take longer to cook, but are very tasty and very good for you!

I have been eating it off and on every morning for almost 3 years. I am 24 and run about 30-35 miles a week and I eat because my dads family has had issues in the past with high colesterol.

I eat the quaker oatmeal, I buy the big container and take some with me to work every morning. I add raisins and a little brown surgar to it to give it some flavor. The best thing I like about it is how filling it is. Since I have been increasing my running I sometimes want to eat just about anything I see but this actually fills me up for about an hour so.

heres to your heart.

Oatmeal also helps keep you regular. I always knew that it provides an excellent
source of fiber and is good for your heart.

It gives you good fiber results - something that the body needs anyway, and it could also help prevent the possibility of getting colon cancer.

It's almost like eating veggies everyday. If you miss out on eating a fair amount of veggies, oatmeal can filll in and replace what you might not otherwise get from fresh or frozen veggies.

Last edited:
My hubby & I eat steel cut oats almost every morning.

I use a short cut, the night before I boil 2 cups of water, add 1/2 C oats cover and turn the heat off. In the a.m. I just need to cook the oats about 10 minutes. This saves mucho time.

The oatmeal that I had this morning was Quaker Instant.

I think I might have put just a little too much boiling water into it. Had to eat it fast because it was getting cold, and would have turned slimey like okra.

Maypo is also good for fighting cholesteral as well! Since it is also oatmeal, but flavored with maple.

Cheerios also helps in the fight against cholesterol, since it's made from oat flour.

I tend to eat quick oats quite regularly. Just this morning, I had them one of my favourite ways:

1/2C oats
1/2C apple juice
1T sugar free caramel syrup (like DaVinci)
Splash of maple extract
Splash of vanilla extract
Top up with water to a total of 1C liquid
Cinnamon to taste
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder

Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Remove and stir, will still be runny.

Stir in some golden raisins and pecans, add a bit more cinnamon if you want (I do, I love the stuff). Let sit for a couple of minutes.

Enjoy.

Under 200 is the goal. Eating a bowl of oatmeal every day COULD lower your cholesterol by UP TO 7 points. If my cholesterol was 206, I do not think I would be working too hard at lowering it. In fact, at my last checkup, mine was at 216, without medication, and I am not worried about it.

Silver said:
I tend to eat quick oats quite regularly. Just this morning, I had them one of my favourite ways:

1/2C oats
1/2C apple juice
1T sugar free caramel syrup (like DaVinci)
Splash of maple extract
Splash of vanilla extract
Top up with water to a total of 1C liquid
Cinnamon to taste
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder

Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Remove and stir, will still be runny.

Stir in some golden raisins and pecans, add a bit more cinnamon if you want (I do, I love the stuff). Let sit for a couple of minutes.

Enjoy.

You are someone who knows how to make oatmeal!!! :chef: Sometimes I add granola and on occassion grape nuts cereal. You do have to let it set for a few minutes after you bring it to temperature, stovetop or microwave. It really depends on the type of oatmeal. Some grinds of oats are thinner than others....(thicker: cracked oats, rolled oats), (thinner: quick cooking, and instant variety)
********************************************************​
(((An oatmeal wash is also good for poison ivy, chicken pox, and acne)))

Last edited:
What a good idea to put the protein powder in. My hubby makes me a protein shake every morning, bless his heart, but I like to eat something once and awhile instead of drink - good way to get protein.

I wonder if it is oatmeal that lowers your cholesterol or the fact that you are not eating eggs and bacon in the morning that lowers it????

I love a cereal called "Sunny Boy" but lately I have had a hard time finding it so I have been eating "Red River". They contain wheat flakes, rye flakes and cracked wheat - you heat it up and eat it like you would oatmeal. I like the texture and nuttiness of this instead of the blob (can't think of a better word) of oatmeal.
:)

Oatbran is more effective in lowering cholesterol. Last year when my cholesterol went up by a staggering 100 due perhaps to stress, I got it back to normal within a month by going on strict diet, eating oatbran for breakfast, consuming only egg whites, taking lecithin granules, drinking olive leaf tea among other things. My doc was surprised at the speed of my cholestrol reduction!!

Aha! I have one packet of oatmeal left so you know what *I'm* having for breakfast. Unless I eat it now of course......

Spiritboxer said:
Aha! I have one packet of oatmeal left so you know what *I'm* having for breakfast. Unless I eat it now of course......

Funny, but I was just about to go make myself a bacon and cheese omelette. :pig:

BTW, that little packet of instant oatmeal you are about to eat? It has more sugar than Fidel Castro!

If you're going to eat oatmeal, skip the little packets and buy the cardboard cannister of quick Quaker Oats, which you can cook just like you do the little packets, and then you can add your own cinnamon, apple, maple syrup, brown sugar, or even grape jelly, and still get a lot less sugar than the packets.

Last edited:
I need the sugar because my glucose level gets too low in the morning.

Or during the day if I go too long without eating. I'll get sick.

StirBlue said:
You are someone who knows how to make oatmeal!!! :chef:
:cool:

Another favourite of mine is to have chocolate protein powder and a bit of unsweetened cocoa, splenda, and maybe to stir in a few other extras like natural peanut butter. Makes for a chocolate peanut butter cup breakfast.

I also enjoy stirring frozen blueberries into 'plain' oatmeal.

Corey123 said:
I need the sugar because my glucose level gets too low in the morning.

Or during the day if I go too long without eating. I'll get sick.

Maybe the sugar could come from controlled and healthier sources than heavily processed junk, though...?

It's the "heavily-processed junk" at times, as you call it, that helps keep me out of danger.

If my glucose level drops too dangerously low, I start to go into a hypoglysemic attack, opposite of a hyperglysemic attack which means that your glucose level is dangerously high.

When I go grocery shopping, i have to include such things as doughnuts small cakes, candy and orange juice to keep on hand for those times when I start to feel sick.

A 12-year-old boy who lives on my street that I know, overheard me talking about this to someone and he told me that in order to stay out of danger with diabetes, I'd have to keep it in control. He's very bright and smart! i thanked him for that

Then I asked him if he's a diabetic and he said no, he just knows about it. So the disease must run in his family, I said to him. He says that besides myself, he has other friends that have it as well.

Then I told him what to do if he ever notices me starting to feel sick.

But yes, oatmeal does have a lot of benefits in fighting choledsterol. If I stay on it as part of my daily regimen diet and exercise regularly and lose some more weight, the diabetes could go away.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
It's the "heavily-processed junk" at times, as you call it, that helps keep me out of danger.

If my glucose level goes to low, I start to go into a hypoglysemic attack, opposite of a hyperglysemic attack which means that your glucose level is dangerously high.

When I go grocery shopping, i have to include such things as doughnuts small cakes, candy and orange juice to keep on hand for those times when I start to feel sick.
Yes you should have high sugar content snacks when you have an attack but to AVOID an attack you should not be eating the "heavily-processed junk".
And to avoid getting diabetes you should avoid the "heavily-processed junk". (A sedentary lifestyle, combined with a diet high in refined carbohydrates and sugary foods is largely to blame for the rapid increase in Type 2 diabetes.)

Reactive Hypoglycemia - Hypoglycemia Treatment Info
Diet and Hypoglycemia
Many times hypoglycemia can be controlled via diet. For instance, eating several (4 – 6) small meals throughout the day and not skipping any meals helps the body to regulate blood sugar levels. Consuming foods that are high in simple (processed) sugars should be avoided as much as possible (candy, regular sodas, alcohol, etc). Instead high-protein foods such as meat, cheese, eggs, milk, and nuts are good snacks. Also, foods with natural or complex carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, breads), rather than sugary snacks, allows your body to better regulate blood sugar levels.

i only eat or drink those things if i start to feel sick from the glucose being too low. And I AM a Type 2 diabetics.

And BTW, two things; the nuitritionist told me to have these things standing by in case of an attack.

The other thing is, the boy that I mentioned in the above post wanted to know the difference between Type 1 and Type 2. I kindly explained it to him and told him that I hope that he never gets the disease, and that if he ever does, to do what he suggested to me..

Back
Top Bottom