"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 09-16-2005, 10:49 AM   #21
Head Chef
Right before I went to bed last night, I remember this thread, so hopped back out of bed to try making the museli. I figured worse case scenario would it would taste gross and I'd just toss it. Boy was I wrong, man it's really good!

1 c oats
1/2 c soy milk
1 container strawberry yogurt
1 handful cranberries
1 handful walnuts

Man, was it good! I ate 1/2 cup for breakfast. I am contemplating having another 1/2 c. but worry it's too much, since I'm trying to watch my weight...Next time I am at the store, I am going to try to look for steel cut oats to make this to see what the difference is. (if there's any noticeable taste difference...this time I used my 1 min. quaker oats stuff) Thanks for all the helpful info!!!

htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #22
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Well done htc!!
Also variety of dried fruit in small pieces, shredded coconuts, sunflower seeds are lovely additives!!

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #23
Hospitality Queen
In the Kitchen:

Look for this can in your grocery store - it's readily available around here, so it may be in your area too:

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #24
Head Chef
Thanks for the visual jkath, I think I've actually seen that before, I'll try to hunt it down. urmaniac13, great ideas! I would have ever thought to add coconut (which I LOVE, or sunflower seeds, which I have a ton of!)

I always get so excited when I find a new healthy food to make!!
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #25
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Floridagirl
In Germany I can buy a lot of oatmeal varieties. The regular ones...you described them as 'steel cut' (in the states I buy those in health food stores or in my "whole food" store, but unfortunately I don't know if they are Irish or from Scotland), the "smooth-melting" oatmeal recommended for baby food, "oat grits" which are peeled, coarsley bruised oat kernels.....etc.

But there is on kind I never could find in the US. Actually I don't even know the correct translation. Maybe someone here can help..I try to explain!
In Germany they are called "Haferfleks" (Hafer is the German word for oats and "fleks" is a modification of "flocken" and means flakes ).
My translation would be maybe "oat flakes" They are made from whole grain oats and look kind of puffed!
Here is a picture http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/index/0775.htm .
Does anyone know this kind of oats? I like them so much. I used them for making my müsli / cereal, made my own granola bars etc. They make my müsli nice and crunchy
Thanks for any ideas.

They look very similar to puffed wheat! I've never seen them in the UK,but I don't buy breakfast cereals, so I'm not sure whether we might 'puff' oats.... I'll have a look when I'm next in the supermarket.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #26
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Floridagirl Send a message via MSN to Floridagirl
That would be great, thanks Ishbel!
Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.
Floridagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #27
Executive Chef

ARen't we all going to get healthy eating all this oatmeal? As long as we remember not to load it down with lot of other sweetners except natural type. Hate to be nag but only way we will reinforce discipline in our lives. Thanks jkath, I have seen that someplace. Providing the visual truly helps. Just have to look for it. I will look at Whole Foods when I go there. I do like that place.
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #28
Head Chef
You could make regular oatmeal and add fresh, diced peaches or you could add raisins with cinnamon, strawberries and bananas and so on.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to his mistakes."

tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #29
Master Chef
Originally Posted by htc
Hi, I am trying to help a friend find an alternative to the flavored instant oatmeal packs (think peachs n cream, etc) We both agree oatmeal is a great healthy breakfast, but there is a lot of sugar in the instant packs, so we're tyring to find ways to flavor the plain oatmeal packs.

I need stuff that's quick and easy that you can do w/ the office microwave. Stuff I've suggested to her: bring dried frut and chopped walnuts or pecans & a small baggie of brown sugar/cinnamon to work. Am I missing anything to give the oatmeal a real fruitty flavor? Thanks!
I add dried cranberries and sliced almonds to my oatmeal. Sometimes, I will add a little brown sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg.

I also use McCann's sugar free Irish oatmeal.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #30
Senior Cook
Not sugar free but delicous. A scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream on top.

comissaryqueen is offline   Reply With Quote