"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
View Poll Results: Olive Oil turns to unhealthy saturated fat when heated to a high temperature!
YES, I knew that. 1 16.67%
NO, I didn't know...eek! 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Andy, bravo!...Anything I read or hear when it comes to food I take with a huge grain of salt.
So ya'll are saying "you take this"...team of researchers and doctors who are supported by AARP and National Geographic who make a comment based on scientific research ...."with a HUGE grain of salt"? Are you including my post #8 ?

If you read Andy's post again you will find that Andy was talking about claims made on the internet by competing product companies. He was not speaking against facts found by legitimate researchers and scientic studies from reputable sources as mentioned in my post #8
Attached Images

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

When I hear a conditional statement, it grabs my attention.

"...which can turn your healthy oil into saturated fat..."

Words like "can" and "may" are signals that the statements aren't 100% true. If you dig into the links .40 gave, you read that a minuscule amount of sat fat is created and that the degree of heat and other conditions necessary to create this minuscule amount requires conditions not generally available to the home cook.

If this is accurate, the initial statement, while factual, is very misleading and doesn't tell the whole story. It also does not invalidate all the other research findings.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Flour Child

Yes, the internet links from .40 were very interesting indeed.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Yes, the internet links from .40 were very interesting indeed.
...but they were posted by an olive oil association so should be taken with a grain of salt. They may or may not be substantially true.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I use my EVOO as a finish for dishes cooked in canola. Cooking the EVOO, you lose that delicate olive taste when you want it!

Ditto
Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Because we find olive oil can become bitter when overheated, we limit our cooking use of olive oil to frying eggplant, as a tenderizer on pizza rounds and in slowly simmered spaghetti sauce.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Generally speaking, if it involves a skillet it has some olive oil in it. If it goes out on the smoker it chances are it got drizzled with olive oil before I seasoned it. If it's a loaf a bread olive was used for shortening. It's our oil of choice and usually bought by the gallon. Not the only oil kept in the house but it is a staple.

Physical evidence exists that olive oil was used in commercial trade in 3500 BC.....

Is it possible the scientists are right...yes. Is it possible they are wrong...yes. Is it possible the results are biased...a big resounding yes.

Staggering numbers of generations over the long course of human history involving many cultures have used this oil. It seems to me that it is one of earths original "whole foods" and we will continue using it freely in our home.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I grew up with Olive Oil...Long before it became a "food fad," it's the oil of choice here, too...unless I'm frying, then I use canola or peanut.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
But heavy drinkers DO live longer....
because God takes care of drunks and fools!!!

(humorrrr, ark ark)
I thought he took care of fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree too. I'm 64 and retired. If I'm lucky I may have another 20 years, but I doubt it. I moved away from Florida to get away from all the people and stress I had lived with there. I spend my time trying to live as stress free as possible.

I smoke and have no intention of trying to quit. No lectures, please.
I eat what I want without thinking about fats, cholesterol, whatever.

The last 20 years of my life were extremely stressful, and I feel I deserve my retirement to be as stress free as I can make it.

I watch TV, surf the internet, crochet, decorate my new place. I read too. I love to come up with new recipes, taking ones I've used before and morphing them into something new.

I avoid people who seem to go out of the way to find things that can kill you. Life can kill you. You can run scared of all these things, then you get hit by a truck. Why worry.

Whenever I find myself worrying I think how it doesn't really matter in the long run, then I wonder if I'm just enjoying worrying like some people do. That usually does the trick and the worry goes away.

Keep on keeping on and keep smiling.