"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Before I started watching what I eat, I would never understand why I would see people order huge McDonalds Supersized meals, and then order a diet coke.
I have ordered diet soft drinks with whatever I ate, including McDonalds or other fast foods, even when I had no reason to watch my weight and they used real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, for one reason only. I did not, and still do not, want to wash my teeth with sugar water.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Can I add my 2 cents worth?

I never felt better than when I was eating right and exercising 5 days a week. I felt awesome, I looked awesome, it was great!

the problem - pregnancy made me lazy. Now that the baby is born, I'm hopping on that wagon again just for the pure fact that I loved how awesome I felt and my attitude. That doesn't mean I was 100% good. Lets say I was good about 5 days a week and "spoiled" myself a couple of times a week like eating a nice big burger or having a candy bar and slurpee from 7-11.

Now my problem is chocolate - if I can just get that under control....

Old 06-12-2005, 02:25 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Kinda like gettin a donut and a diet coke?
The reason for this, as far as I am concerned, I started drinking diet sodas in 97 when I was losing 60 lbs. When things got out of control in my life and I gained back 1/2 of that, I was no longer able to drink regular sodas because it was like drinking the syrup straight out of the fountain. You just have to know for yourself the difference in taste. The regular cokes are sickening to me and too heavy. Don't get me wrong, I don't do this on a daily basis. It's just that, IF I go get a burger or something, I have to have a soda and it has to be diet, NOT because I think something as stupid as it will counteract the fat in the food, but, because of the heavy syrupy taste of the regular soda.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:51 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Well, I personally like the way every other country than the US approaches food and exercise: walk instead of drive, enjoy your food but don't overindulge.

Only in the US can you see someone driving around and around the gym parking lot, gulping down that fast food while trying to get the closest spot to the door...
Old 06-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #35
DC Grandma

I was "sugar and spice" but now I am splended..oh, excuse me..I ment Splenda and pepper
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
I was "sugar and spice" but now I am splended..oh, excuse me..I ment Splenda and pepper
Dove
Me too Marge, the only way to go And I love pepper on just about everything.
kadesma
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #37
Head Chef

I can't stand regular soda, either- it's too **** sweet. I've been a Diet Pepsi drinker (among other diet sodas) for about 15 years, and once you get the taste for diet you can't gag down all that sugar anymore.

I've now lost somewhere in the vicinity of 90 lbs. I have to give the credit to Dr Atkins and Matt Furey- between the Atkins diet and Combat Conditioning I feel better than I have in years.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:30 AM   #38
Executive Chef

My Thoughts Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
Well, I personally like the way every other country than the US approaches food and exercise: walk instead of drive, enjoy your food but don't overindulge.

Only in the US can you see someone driving around and around the gym parking lot, gulping down that fast food while trying to get the closest spot to the door...
I could not agree more!! Thank you for sharing. I have to live with this example everyday with my 'neighbor'. She goes to gym early in morning, gets home and parks her care behind my driveway so she can just get in her house without parking on space by the garage. Papers, trash she doesn't consider form of exercise, so she leaves it. The whole family is like this. She hires people to clean up her house and her yard. Hard work that is availabe to her free of charge she ignores. Both she and her husband have two cars each. I do not care to be neighbors with them as I have no respect for people with this kind of values.When I go to church the minister seems to always bring up about loving your neighbor. How? Also what about these blasted cell phones? Wherever, and whenever, I go to exercise I am involved in someone's conversation. The grocery store, at work and even church! You may not believe this but I exercise in the cemetery where my mother is buried. Not because I visit her grave but has many hills and somewhat quiet. Everyone is 'sleeping' there. I was walking yesterday and since the road had a curve in it I did not see the person but heard her. She was asking questions and then responding. I thought this is it, I can hear someone trying to communicate with me. Oh no, worse. She was walking with cell phone and not worried about what was going on around her. I met up with her at the end of the walk and she was still holding the phone. The phone, tv, and computer are determined to ruin this country. They are necessary to a person in times of need. But this abuse of them is ruining our incentives. We complain that we are too fat. Do you find any correlation here? Everyone has told me to get one so they can reach me. I try to go along with what they suggest but not this case. If I am in the car and it stops running that is only time I feel necessary for me. Our communication is getting too dependent on something other than ourselves. This is only my opinion and not faulting anyone for their personal lifestyle. This will only lead to more and more and we should listen to the wise men who say 'keep it simple'. Only my opinion.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Hit the Newspapers

I just can't believe this! My neighbor who I was telling you about who is so lazy just was written up in the newspaper. She is supposedly to have income of 200,000 this year and will increase 2005. She and her husband own a dart shop. You know the kind they play in taverns. Selling darts they make this kind of money? I just can't see how this can be possible as the type of individual she is in the neighborhood. She doesn't go to work until 11 and goes out every nite for dinner. Her life around here is nothing to be envied. She is considered self centered and conceited. To have that kind of income no wonder she doesn't do anything. I wouldn't either. Plus her husband is boss at printing company. I don't know why she stay s in this area due to the fact it is not the greatest. I certainly would move if I had t hat income. What is my problem? I always feel like I am treading water. I keep looking for my rainbow.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Don't know what to say either?

I am trying to find someone to help me understand this situation. My family doesn't know what to think of it either. They said that this is what happens when you try to go by the golden rule. You wind up being good guy and others step on you and get ahead of you. I guess I am so shocked and looking for reasons why this happens. Thanks