Opinion on exercise and eating right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a cyclist I was burning 1000 calories a day just cycling. I could eat McDonalds morning noon and night and have no problems with weight gain. Of course when I wrecked my knees and couldn't ride anymore, I put weight on like crazy because I still ate like I was cycling 50 miles a day.

SpiceUmUp said:
When I was a cyclist I was burning 1000 calories a day just cycling. I could eat McDonalds morning noon and night and have no problems with weight gain. Of course when I wrecked my knees and couldn't ride anymore, I put weight on like crazy because I still ate like I was cycling 50 miles a day.

That's basically it. As long as you're burning more calories that you intake you'll be fine. Of course regardless, it's not HEALTHY to eat at Mickey D's that often, but you won't put on the weight if you're excercising enough to burn it all off.

In the Kitchen said:
I am trying to find someone to help me understand this situation. My family doesn't know what to think of it either. They said that this is what happens when you try to go by the golden rule. You wind up being good guy and others step on you and get ahead of you. I guess I am so shocked and looking for reasons why this happens. Thanks

you have something that some people can't have because they seem to think they're exempt from the basic rules in life. what you have is you have that you abide by the Golden Rule, and can go to sleep at night knowing that you did the right thing by doing so. you can only pity those who are too oblivious to do so.

You know, now, my weight loss is noticeable (see my progress pics in this part of the forum if you haven't already!!) people are asking me what I am doing. And when I tell them I am eating less and moving more, they look at me like I am keeping something a secret!!!! And that's it, I exercise, I don't eat rubbish (much) anymore, and I do a lot more incidental activity, like take a walk at lunch time instead of sitting in the break room, and I don't get on the internet much anymore!!!

It astounds me, our gym is in the centre of our village, most people live within a 15 minute walking radius, and the car park is always full. I am one of the only people (certainly the only one of driving age) who walks to and from the gym!

I always thought my big weight gain problem was the food I was eating, but looking back, I think it was the fact I was so sedentary. Now I couldn't imagine life without exercise! It's become my hobby!!!!

luvs

I wish you were my neighbor. I just would treasure everyday the peace everyday. You always try to make people hope for brighter days. I thank you for your kind thoughts and wish you continued love and friendships. That is the way the world should be. Thank you for caring so far away and just knowing this made my day. You are right I do fall asleep hoping I have not hurt someone intentionally. As you have the love of your kittens, my dogs always understand me. They are all here for a reason.

kyles

Be happy you found out what a difference exercise makes! It is a gift and makes life so much better in everyway. Keep on walking and others may one day realize how wise you are. I commend you and thanks for sharing your interest.

Years ago if you "applied" the "what you eat is what you are" philosophy to me ... I would have either had a hole in my middle or a hard candy shell that "melts in your mouth - not in your hands". Of course, I was also working 80+ hours a week. :LOL:

Here's the way it works ... 3,500 calories = 1 pound. For every 3,500 calories you consume over what you burn off - you gain a pound. For every 3,500 calories you burn over what you consume, you lose a pound.

Caine said:
I have ordered diet soft drinks with whatever I ate, including McDonalds or other fast foods, even when I had no reason to watch my weight and they used real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, for one reason only. I did not, and still do not, want to wash my teeth with sugar water.

I read recently that diet sodas are just as bad for your teeth as sugared ones. I had always wondered about that.

As for the McDonald's slamming, I don't go there often, but I do like a burger and fries from there once in awhile. I figure if it's good enough for Julia Child, who said on more than one occasion that she enjoyed an occasional McD's burger, then it's good enough for me.

BC

:ermm: I just have to ask - what is the attraction of MacDonald's food? It is unpalatable. The meat is flavourless, the buns taste like cake they have so much sugar in them, the cheese is like plastic.....and those pickled gherkins!! On a hamburger?? Don't you guys have real hamburger shops over there? You know, the little local corner store takeaway that makes a hamburger twice the size for half the price. They are all over the place here in Oz. Full of meat, onions, lettuce, tomatoes (beetroot if you like - I don't so I skip that ingredient) your choice of sauce & (if you choose) cooked pineapple rings, bacon & a fried egg (that's one with the lot). The juice runs down your forearms & drips off you elbows - now THAT is a real hamburger. After a surf they just hit the spot. Maccas, apart from being bland, leave you still feeling hungry. I really don't understand the attraction.
SK:huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom