"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
Head Chef

Wow, what part of Montana? In Wyoming, we'd starve if we had to rely on locally grown produce! The meat we could handle, but not much grows here!! We have a farmer's market, but with the cold, wet spring that we had, there may not be the variety that is usually available. I do what I can, but we are on a limited budget.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Head Chef

In my humble opinion, variety affects flavor more than organic/conventional growing methods. An heirloom tomato grown with Miracle Grow probably tastes pretty much like the same variety grown with manure and compost.

But the commercial varieties of tomatoes, organic or not, are grown for sturdiness, not flavor.

I try to buy organic if I can, but I have a limited selection available, and sometimes the organic is way more "shopworn" than the conventional produce, because it is more expensive and may have been sitting on the shelf longer.

I have a big garden and try to produce most of my own veggies, organically, and that is the best way, if you can manage. Transit time from garden to stovetop is a matter of minutes, and that just tastes better.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just lucky to live in a place where it is all available. Winter can be tough to find quality produce, but luckily I do my own canning and freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
That's an ideal culinary life you lead my dear and it sounds lovely!
Old 07-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We are in the Missoula valley, the "breadbasket" or "banana belt" of Montana. Heh! I grew up in Laramie, WY...I KNOW there is nothing grown around there, unless you are partial to sagebrush.

Out farmers market has been a bit sparse this year, too but I just keep plugging along. I just wish I had my own plot to garden, but we live in an apartment, best I can do is fresh herbs on a windowsill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Wow, what part of Montana? In Wyoming, we'd starve if we had to rely on locally grown produce! The meat we could handle, but not much grows here!! We have a farmer's market, but with the cold, wet spring that we had, there may not be the variety that is usually available. I do what I can, but we are on a limited budget.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #25
Head Chef

Oh yeah, Laramie!! over 7000 ft., but there are some nice flower gardens!
Welcome to DC!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We'll be in the Torrington area next week. I should be able to spot some wheat and maybe some corn. Mom says she has arugula growing all over the place, looks like I'll be going outside for a graze now and then with the oil and vinegar cruets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Oh yeah, Laramie!! over 7000 ft., but there are some nice flower gardens!
Welcome to DC!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

I try to eat and buy organic as much as possible but it really does cost a decent amount of money more to do so. I always make sure that I buy organic produce if the skin is going to be eaten, like apples and peaches. Doing it that way helps me stay on a budget but still eat as healthy as I can. I'm very impressed with the main stream supermarkets making organic as affordable as they can by having their own brands. It's definitely a plus.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I pretty much would think the term "organic" has been co opted by big business to a large extent reducing the overall value of anything being organic. The waters on what is or is not organic has gotten muddy.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I do not buy any organic food. I think it's chemical!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #30
Senior Cook

The only organic groceries I buy are milk, cream and half-n-half. And really the only reason is because they last so much longer in the fridge. My family is very hit and miss w/milk, so it just makes sense to me. Other than that, I've tried organic produce and don't see the big deal. A big deal to me is fresh from the farmers market. I know a lot of people swear by all organic but it's not for me.

Tags
organic