Organic or Not Organic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, what part of Montana? In Wyoming, we'd starve if we had to rely on locally grown produce! The meat we could handle, but not much grows here!! We have a farmer's market, but with the cold, wet spring that we had, there may not be the variety that is usually available. I do what I can, but we are on a limited budget.

In my humble opinion, variety affects flavor more than organic/conventional growing methods. An heirloom tomato grown with Miracle Grow probably tastes pretty much like the same variety grown with manure and compost.

But the commercial varieties of tomatoes, organic or not, are grown for sturdiness, not flavor.

I try to buy organic if I can, but I have a limited selection available, and sometimes the organic is way more "shopworn" than the conventional produce, because it is more expensive and may have been sitting on the shelf longer.

I have a big garden and try to produce most of my own veggies, organically, and that is the best way, if you can manage. Transit time from garden to stovetop is a matter of minutes, and that just tastes better.

Just lucky to live in a place where it is all available. Winter can be tough to find quality produce, but luckily I do my own canning and freezing.

That's an ideal culinary life you lead my dear and it sounds lovely!

We are in the Missoula valley, the "breadbasket" or "banana belt" of Montana. Heh! I grew up in Laramie, WY...I KNOW there is nothing grown around there, unless you are partial to sagebrush.

Out farmers market has been a bit sparse this year, too but I just keep plugging along. I just wish I had my own plot to garden, but we live in an apartment, best I can do is fresh herbs on a windowsill.

Wow, what part of Montana? In Wyoming, we'd starve if we had to rely on locally grown produce! The meat we could handle, but not much grows here!! We have a farmer's market, but with the cold, wet spring that we had, there may not be the variety that is usually available. I do what I can, but we are on a limited budget.

Oh yeah, Laramie!! over 7000 ft., but there are some nice flower gardens!
Welcome to DC!

We'll be in the Torrington area next week. I should be able to spot some wheat and maybe some corn. Mom says she has arugula growing all over the place, looks like I'll be going outside for a graze now and then with the oil and vinegar cruets.:LOL:

Oh yeah, Laramie!! over 7000 ft., but there are some nice flower gardens!
Welcome to DC!

I try to eat and buy organic as much as possible but it really does cost a decent amount of money more to do so. I always make sure that I buy organic produce if the skin is going to be eaten, like apples and peaches. Doing it that way helps me stay on a budget but still eat as healthy as I can. I'm very impressed with the main stream supermarkets making organic as affordable as they can by having their own brands. It's definitely a plus.

I pretty much would think the term "organic" has been co opted by big business to a large extent reducing the overall value of anything being organic. The waters on what is or is not organic has gotten muddy.

The only organic groceries I buy are milk, cream and half-n-half. And really the only reason is because they last so much longer in the fridge. My family is very hit and miss w/milk, so it just makes sense to me. Other than that, I've tried organic produce and don't see the big deal. A big deal to me is fresh from the farmers market. I know a lot of people swear by all organic but it's not for me.

Goodweed, as usual, you have the real answer. The meaning of organic has gone by the wayside. My husband is also one who can be very literal, and he really gets peeved at "organic" salt!

A big, and I do mean BIG factor in flavor of foods is the soil. Seriously. For example everyone loves Maui and Vidalia onions, and I think Wallawallas. In fact, from my experience, Hawaii and Georgia (and for that matter the panhandle of Florida) have red, heavily clay soil. I believe they are iron-rich. I wonder if that has something to do with the flavor of the onions grown there. The rest of Florida has sand, not soil, and you can't get a tomato (except for cherry tomatoes) to taste like much of anything. When we moved here (that is to say, NW IL), hubby said, my God, this is soil, everywhere else we've lived it was dirt!"

The only organic groceries I buy are milk, cream and half-n-half. And really the only reason is because they last so much longer in the fridge. My family is very hit and miss w/milk, so it just makes sense to me. Other than that, I've tried organic produce and don't see the big deal. A big deal to me is fresh from the farmers market. I know a lot of people swear by all organic but it's not for me.

Farmers markets take the cake. Absolutely. Best produce and food that you can get.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom