"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #111
Head Chef

This thread reminded me of a restaurant I used to frequent quite often in Manhattan, Carmines, and it is known for huge portions... I have never been there on my own as it is a family style, you better bring your appetite, type of a restaurant... I don't remember anyone complaining about leftovers, actually we would fight over them because the food was THAT GOOD!!!

A lot of restaurants here in Florida are now serving same dinner menu, smaller portions which I think is a blessing for those who can only eat so much... But even the ones I know don't have problems with doggie baggin it... As long as the food is good, and you don't mind the leftovers, it shouldn't be an issue...IMHO...

Old 05-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #112
Flour Child

OMGosh, Mimi, you're right! Here are two pics of a dessert and a chicken dish from Carmine's in NYC. Notice the dollar bill for proportions. In their defense though, it does say on their website that the portions are meant to feed 4 to six people. The pics I saw on google image though showed each person with a dinnerplate in front of them. They probably aren't told that they're meant for 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carmines-chicken.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	8098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carmines-dessert.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	8100  

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #113
Head Chef

Mollyanne, That is there ever so famous, and one of the most wonderful dishes called Chicken Contadina... It has everything in it, chicken, sausage, potatoes, onions, red and green peppers, and (I use hot) either sweet or hot vinegar cherry peppers... Mmmmmmmmm
Old 05-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

i've never been to carmine's, but many co-workers have gone and they say it's awesome!!! you really need to go with a large group so you can order more than 1 plate, or should i say platter. i've heard the portions are more like "feeds 8 to 10".

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #115
Head Chef

Ohhhhhh Bucky you live right over the bridge, what the heck is taking you so long... Did your co-workers tell you that you better love, (and I mean love) garlic??? There is so much in all their food that you sweat it out for three days, but it is so worth it... Do take yourself, and a few good men, or women, and treat yourself to some fantastic food...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #116
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
OMGosh, Mimi, you're right! Here are two pics of a dessert and a chicken dish from Carmine's in NYC. Notice the dollar bill for proportions. In their defense though, it does say on their website that the portions are meant to feed 4 to six people. The pics I saw on google image though showed each person with a dinnerplate in front of them. They probably aren't told that they're meant for 6.
That's awesome!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #117
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
This reminds me of a time many years ago when we took my parents to a fancy French restaurant back in Long Island, NY. Food was wonderful, but portions were typically small & rather "frou-frou". After we'd finished & were getting back into the car, my dad - always the joker in the pack - couldn't help but ask "So, where are we going for dinner?" Lol!
My husband has made that same comment before.. hahahaha
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #118
Senior Cook

I am not a big eater myself so I always have leftovers every time we eat at any restaurant. We often visit PeiWei and I always leave the restaurant very full and with leftovers.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #119
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
That looks really good mollyanne! :)
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #120
Flour Child

Looks like an enormous hashbrownsw&sausages, frozenstar...I don't know...there's something missing......I know!...a gigantic greasy Denver Omelette from Denny's
Disclaimer: Just joking, Carmine's. There's no comparison to Denny's. Carmine's has an excellent reputation for quality I've read.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote