Outrageous Restaurant Portions ...WhoWhereWhy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I travel for work so it is common for me to eat at all you can eat type of places. It’s easy to get a healthy meal at those places for a decent price. First I hit the salad bar, and then go back for some meat and lots of veggies.

This is an excellent and fun discussion. I personally do not usually eat at buffets. I think, usually but not in all cases, that what is offered is the most basic form of cooking and therefore, not worth the money. :ermm: If I am going to eat at a restaurant then I want them to cook better than me.

I used to travel for work so I understand the above comment. I would try to take my own food but sometimes those trips last longer than can be packed for reasonably. And it is nice to have a place with a salad bar.

I don't mean to veer off the buffet track but I just wanted to say that Maggiano's has an excellent answer to this dilemma.

In the OP of this thread I complained about their huge portions they served but I just went back for lunch and they have an excellent solution.

There was a section on the menu where you could pick any two meals...one to eat there and another that they box up for you to take home. It can be the same meal or two different ones. I picked their eggplant parmigiani to eat there and the sausage lasagna to go...both were excellent....all for 12.95 and no hidden fees for boxing up the take home dinner. I added a generous sprinkling of fresh italian parsley for added color and nutrition when I got home ;)

I go to a restaurant knowing I'm going to be bringing half home for later. And I'm never too proud to order a child's or senior menu item. If they have an absolute age requirement, I haven't seen it, yet! Restaurants want the sale, they aren't that vigilant about the age of their patrons as long as you are not trying to buy booze for kids.

Of course this is for a regular menu, not a buffet!

Last edited:
I think buffets aren't always bad. First of all, if you hate your food, no big deal you can go get something else. 2. You will most likely enjoy what you're eating because you get to see it beforehand. 3. I like choices haha! Honestly, if you don't have self control over your eating habits and don't teach your children to know when they are full then that's not the restaurant or buffet's problem. Honestly, most restaurants are fairly expensive these days so you should get what you pay for even if you don't finish eating it. Example: A friend and I went to an Italian restaurant in Beverly Hills and spent 94 for two people with tip included. For that price, the portion shouldn't be too small because that would be a rip off. The portion was the size of an average plate and the food wasn't anything out of the ordinary, so why not eat at a place where you can have variety like a buffet. And honestly, obesity is usually genetic, but if you teach your children to eat healthy they will be healthy even if they don't look very thin. You can't expect restaurants and buffets to change their portions, people should change their eating habits. "All you can eat" means just that-all YOU can eat, not eat it all till you explode. For some that's a lot and for others it isn't. Keep in mind that buffets are designed so that you can serve yourself as much or as little as you want.

me & jake used 2 trade food, so very much of the meal was dined on eventually during lunch/dinner @ establishments w/ his hungry self.
there's those that own absurd managerial skills, plain & simple, & them 'er those that genarally fold thier own establishments in a few minutes/flat~
& request half portions if freebie food is so over-burdening 2 'ya!
sheesh, in my restaurant, i shall relieve employees whom choose 2 give my profits away, & promptly.

me & jake used 2 trade food, so very much of the meal was dined on eventually during lunch/dinner @ establishments w/ his hungry self.
there's those that own absurd managerial skills, plain & simple, & them 'er those that genarally fold thier own establishments in a few minutes/flat~
& request half portions if freebie food is so over-burdening 2 'ya!
sheesh, in my restaurant, i shall relieve employees whom choose 2 give my profits away, & promptly.
I assume you're talking about restaurant portions when you mention "absurd managerial skills"...that...fold their establishments"? In what way? And how do your "employees choose to give your profits away"?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom