"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Executive Chef

It's sorta sad to see how little the old fogies eat at our monthly Legion Hall dinners.

Why can't we have those small appetites early on so we don't need to diet.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
It's sorta sad to see how little the old fogies eat at our monthly Legion Hall dinners.

Why can't we have those small appetites early on so we don't need to diet.
Why is it sad? They'r eating as much as they want.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Sous Chef

The real thing to examine is what components of the meal are in excess. Normally it's pasta/noodles, potatoes, rice, etc. As noted above, these items cost the restaurant very little money (especially when purchased in bulk). So that bowl of Fettuccine Alfredo with the truffle shaving can fetch $25 instead of $10 if they add an extra $0.25 of pasta (which might amount to a full pound cooked). At the same time they cover their bases when the buffet-warrior sits down expecting his cubic meter of sustenance.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

When I watch TV food shows such as Diners, Drive-In and Dives and some shows on the Travel Channel, I see a variety of restaurants serving monster portions. Restaurant owners/chefs seem to take pride in how full their plates are and they seem to be looking for ways to make them bigger. Their prices are not outrageous.

I would guess a very high percentage of patrons leave the leftovers on the table. Restaurants could cut the portions in half, reducing prices, and still provide filling meals. The excess could go to food banks, homeless shelters or even into their pockets as profit.

Until this mentality changes, Americans will continue to get bigger and less healthy.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Flour Child

...well, if 92% of Maggiano's customers really do take their leftovers home and make another meal from it then not much is being wasted. I know none of mine was...it was top quality. I had 2 meals of eggplant parmigiana (no pasta by the way). The cost was 12.99 so each gourmet dinner ended up being 6.50 (plus a tad for lunch the next day)....you probably can't even get a meal at McDonald's for 6.50. Which reminds me of the SUPER SIZE feature there...don't even get me started

...no waste at Maggiano's that is, unless you include the non-biodegradable styrofoam box and the "designer label" tote bag w/handles they put it in (well it costs money to print their corporate identity on it not to mention the tree that was cut down)...wasted.

...and then there are those restaurant chains that serve monster portions but the "food" isn't worth taking home...wasted.

...or the travelers staying in a hotel with no fridge or microwave...wasted.

...or those that actually overdo and eat it all at the restaurant...wasted on the hips and heart

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

food safety/sanitation guidelines & regulations decide whether a restaurant may donate food.
& what would they donate food for, when they're seeking a profit.
these restauranteers ought recieve costing & portioning instruction. a restaurant easily folds if they mismanage. plain & simple.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
...well, if 92% of Maggiano's customers really do take their leftovers home and make another meal from it then not much is being wasted. I know none of mine was...it was top quality. I had 2 meals of eggplant parmigiana (no pasta by the way). The cost was 12.99 so each gourmet dinner ended up being 6.50 (plus a tad for lunch the next day)....you probably can't even get a meal at McDonald's for 6.50. Which reminds me of the SUPER SIZE feature there...don't even get me started

...no waste at Maggiano's that is, unless you include the non-biodegradable styrofoam box and the "designer label" tote bag w/handles they put it in (well it costs money to print their corporate identity on it not to mention the tree that was cut down)...wasted.

...and then there are those restaurant chains that serve monster portions but the "food" isn't worth taking home...wasted.

...or the travelers staying in a hotel with no fridge or microwave...wasted.

...or those that actually overdo and eat it all at the restaurant...wasted on the hips and heart

For the evening meal, I would expect a high percentage of the diners to take meals home. What about lunch and breakfast places? I'd guess most of those are wasted.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
At the same time they cover their bases when the buffet-warrior sits down expecting his cubic meter of sustenance.
LOLOLOLOLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For the evening meal, I would expect a high percentage of the diners to take meals home. What about lunch and breakfast places? I'd guess most of those are wasted.
We wrap up our extra omelet and home fries and take them home at breakfast. Wait, I mean, my WIFE does. I never seem to have any left.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Everymom

While there are some restaurants here in Edmonton that serve large portions, most are just right.

Sadly, I must report that the only time I've been served portions that are far too large are the times I've eaten in the US. The most notable time for me was when we were in Disney World. If I'd ordered a "breakfast plate" I could have had eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage and toast all for $2.99 and the portion would have fed both my girls and myself. Instead, I bought what would normally be breakfast in our house. 4 pieces of fruit, 2 yogurts, a couple of bagels and a couple small bowls of cereal with milk = $27.00! Holy moly.

This might be slightly off the topic, but has anyone else noticed that a "gourmet" restaurant will often serve much smaller portions? After reading the above posts I think that must be because of the ratio of quality ingredients and fewer starches.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I would guess a very high percentage of patrons leave the leftovers on the table. Restaurants could cut the portions in half, reducing prices, and still provide filling meals.
Maybe it's because I've always worked at nice places, but food cost was never, ever a major concern at those places. The real cost of putting a meal on the table is in the labor to produce and serve it, the facility it's served in (and it's appointments), and the marketing of that facility. Cutting the portion size would reduce food cost, but it wouldn't have any bearing on the rest.

In my mind, it's better to send a customer home with a stack of styro boxes or half of their meal left on their plate than to send them home hungry.