"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #191
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
The invitation and availability of "all-you-can-eat" by the restaurant to the customer is the portion size correlation. Choice or no choice, if the restaurant doesn't make a huge portion available then it won't happen...right?

Sorry mollyanne, I disagree. (And keep in mind I've been marking papers all day so semantics are at the forefront of my mind here) "All you can eat" leaves the choice to the consumer and makes no assumption. I've seen two girls the same age, weight and height who both played 3 hard games of softball hit the buffet at the same time. One ate barely anything and claimed she was "full", the other grazed for some time before declaring herself satisfied. They each made their own determination about "all they could eat" and IMO neither gorged.

So, my personal belief is that the restaurant holds no responsibility for the amount the consumer chooses to eat at a buffet. The key word there is "chooses".

Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #192
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
The invitation and availability of "all-you-can-eat" by the restaurant to the customer is the portion size correlation. Choice or no choice, if the restaurant doesn't make a huge portion available then it won't happen...right?
Sorry I don't see it that way. You can go to any resturant and over eat. There is nothing stopping someone from order several appetizers, or large-sized entrees, and desserts. So why does all-you-can-eat make any difference. I can also go to Wendy's and order 2 ro 3 burgers, large fries, soda and frosty. The invitation and availability is there too.

Checkers makes double-burgers and sells many of them at 2 for $5. Add fries and a large shake and you have the same problem.

Sorry, IMHO it is all about personal choice. Just becasue you CAN so something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #193
Certified Pretend Chef

I think there is a higher likelihood a person will overeat at a buffet. It's different from being free to order three burgers, several appetizers, etc. With the buffet, eating more doesn't cost you more as it does with ala carte. There is a psychological desire in SOME customers to ensure they get their money's worth. Heck, you don't want to be cheated and have the restaurant actually make money on you...
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #194
Flour Child

Thank you, Andy. Well said.

I was quoted above, out of context, several times above without anyone posting the statement I was responding to. Originally, Alix said she "couldn't see the correlation to huge portion sizes at buffets". I was making the point that due to availability and invitation to eat all you can for one price correlates to huge portions. Andy is right..."there is a higher likelihood a person will overeat at a buffet. There is a psychological desire in SOME to get their money's worth." My picture below said it all and was to show concern for exposing our children to this temptation:

In no way did I ever say that "just because you CAN do something you SHOULD".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OutrageousFoodPortion.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	8606  

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #195
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Sorry mollyanne, I didn't mean to misquote you or that you ever implyed "just because you CAN do something you SHOULD". Please accept my apology. It is just my frustration with this topic as a whole because imo.. it all boils down to 2 words... personal responsibility. I can discuss it from all angles but that really is where it all starts and ends for me.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #196
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
...it all boils down to 2 words... personal responsibility...

BINGO! That's exactly it.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #197
Everymom

mollyanne, I don't think I misquoted you, but if I did I apologize too. MY point is that at a buffet, the portion size is up to the patron and not the restaurant. Because of that distinction, I do not see the correlation to the original post (and thread title) regarding the outrageous portion sizes some restaurants serve. I think perhaps I was unclear about that. I still do not see that a restaurant can be said to be serving any kind of portion at all in a buffet situation simply because they do not do the serving.

I believe in an earlier post I made in this thread I mentioned that I thought creating several different portion sizes was a good idea so that patrons can then choose the size most applicable to their appetite.

I'm sorry if I offended you mollyanne, I was attempting to connect the thread title and the segue into buffets, I was not trying to slam you at all.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:48 AM   #198
Flour Child

No problem. I understand. Was just wanting to clarify...gotta' do that once in awhile in cyberspace

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #199
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I believe in an earlier post I made in this thread I mentioned that I thought creating several different portion sizes was a good idea so that patrons can then choose the size most applicable to their appetite.
Actually a lot of restaurants do this. The problem is that you either have to be a child or a senior to get them. But I have seen some places that offer dishes for light eaters.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #200
Everymom

mollyanne, yep clarity is important. Text is a lousy medium for solo communication, its way too easy to read stuff in where nothing is intended etc.