"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
...In my mind, it's better to send a customer home with a stack of styro boxes or half of their meal left on their plate than to send them home hungry.
This thread is about over-sized portions, not normal portions. I don't think anyone is suggesting customers should go home hungry.

To me, the difference is between being served more food than anyone can reasonably finish and a generous portion that is filling for customers.

Personally, I don't want leftovers and I don't want to pay for leftovers. I go to a restaurant for the atmosphere, the service and the food. It's a total experience. I expect to pay a reasonable price for that. I don't look to that restaurant to feed me at home as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #22
Senior Cook

American portions definitely get a mention all the way over here in New Zealand. When we were planning our trip to America last year, a lot of people mentioned to watch out for that. We actually found we got a bit of a range - which made it hard to know how much to order! Some places served enough for two and a half people, others were about what we're used to expecting at home.

As an aside, I know it's not exactly a resturant thing (well, perhaps a fast food one) but the biggest contrast was the size of the fizzy drink cups in take-outs and petrol stations. Seriously, your 'small' is the same size (or even bigger than) our 'large'! (I actually loved it, I've never enjoyed so much diet coke for so little in my life).

Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #23
Master Chef

I guess I'm not alone. I often order a meal planning my next meal(s). I occaisionally have a taste for a porterhouse, which is way too huge. It is a laugh. I eat what appeals to me, and take the rest home and make stroganof, or a Thai "crying tiger" salad. For both of us. Then I toss the bone in the "stock pile" in my freezer, and we get a really great stock. When my husband was gainfully employed, I'd go out to lunch by myself (with a book and a pad of paper, this was before the internet was the norm) or with a friend, and I'd plan dinner around the leftovers. Several months ago I went out with a group of friends and one woman sniffed and said, "I don't DO leftovers." This was at a restaurant where I'm very much a regular, and she hadn't touched about $100 worth of food. I told the wait staff to box it up. We had several meals from it. I've noticed that some chain restaurants have actually taken to smaller portions for smaller bucks. Now I'm no small person, and I like my food, but the portions are insane. Too much food for too much money. So when I order, I plan ahead with what I can do with my "doggie bag".
Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Ordering A La Carte can help
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #25
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
"I don't DO leftovers."

What planet are these people from?!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
It's sorta sad to see how little the old fogies eat at our monthly Legion Hall dinners.
the WHO??? Older folks know how much their bodies can take, and they don't eat after they're full. Maybe you should pay more attention to YOUR real appetite? And maybe you should watch your language.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
In my mind, it's better to send a customer home with a stack of styro boxes or half of their meal left on their plate than to send them home hungry.
Why does it have to be either/or? The US is the ONLY country where (mostly chain) restaurants serve enough food for a family of four to each customer. Quite frankly, I think that a lot of what folks take home is never eaten, and so it is still wasted.

We have become a nation of overkill in so many categories. It really is sad to see. If you've ever traveled in another country, it is easy to see the disparity.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Why does it have to be either/or? The US is the ONLY country where (mostly chain) restaurants serve enough food for a family of four to each customer. Quite frankly, I think that a lot of what folks take home is never eaten, and so it is still wasted.

We have become a nation of overkill in so many categories. It really is sad to see. If you've ever traveled in another country, it is easy to see the disparity.
Like the 4 or 5 course meals in Italy?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
the WHO??? Older folks know how much their bodies can take, and they don't eat after they're full. Maybe you should pay more attention to YOUR real appetite? And maybe you should watch your language.
More likely they have denture problems. They always seem to have room for sickeningly sweet deserts.
Fogies is kinder than the factually based flatulence nickname.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
More likely they have denture problems. They always seem to have room for sickeningly sweet deserts.
Fogies is kinder than the factually based flatulence nickname.
I dont know how old you are, but clearly you aren't old enough to know better. Your comments are obnoxious and disrespectful to an entire generation.

I'm old enough to be on medicare and still have all my natural teeth. I prefer savory food to desserts though I like those as well.

Show a little respect or keep your comments to yourself.