"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

I seem to remember a time when the fancy foofoo restaurants were serving amazingly little food and charging an outrageous amount. You would get 2 peas and some foam and it would cost $45. I wonder if that sparked people talking about it and more family friendly restaurants heard the cries and decided to go in the other direction. I don't really believe that this is the case, but I thought it might help get us back on topic

Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
More likely they have denture problems. They always seem to have room for sickeningly sweet deserts.
Fogies is kinder than the factually based flatulence nickname.
I don't see the need for any nicknames. "Older persons" works just fine, or "Senior Citizens."

If you're lucky, you may get to be one someday. but not at the rate you're going!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

being the old fogie that i am. i only eat smaller amounts. have learned that over eating is damned uncomfortable. hardly ever order dessert unless that is what the place is known for . i take comfort that "bill" will be an old fogie soon enough.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #34
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
The most notable time for me was when we were in Disney World. If I'd ordered a "breakfast plate" I could have had eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage and toast all for $2.99 and the portion would have fed both my girls and myself. Instead, I bought what would normally be breakfast in our house. 4 pieces of fruit, 2 yogurts, a couple of bagels and a couple small bowls of cereal with milk = $27.00! Holy moly.

Interesting. I wonder if you had actually ordered this if you would have gotten what you expected. I travel a lot and notice that some breakfast staples at chain restaurants like Dennys are getting smaller and smaller.

Breakfasts sound abundant but when they arrive the 2 eggs are tiny, you can see through the bacon strips and the 'fruit' is a mouthful only. These breakfast platters are loaded with starches however and so the plates seem piled high. Scrape away the hashbrowns and biscuits and there's really not much substance.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #35
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Interesting. I wonder if you had actually ordered this if you would have gotten what you expected. I travel a lot and notice that some breakfast staples at chain restaurants like Dennys are getting smaller and smaller.

Breakfasts sound abundant but when they arrive the 2 eggs are tiny, you can see through the bacon strips and the 'fruit' is a mouthful only. These breakfast platters are loaded with starches however and so the plates seem piled high. Scrape away the hashbrowns and biscuits and there's really not much substance.
Janet, that is what I would have received. I watched many a plate go by. It was truly an amazing amount of food. It was easily 3 eggs (scrambled), about 1.5 cups of hashbrowns, 3 sausages and I didn't really count the bacon slices. Thats a lot of food for one person. The plates were nearly the size of the chargers I use on holidays. BIG!

Having said that, we were eating at the hotel. When we ate in any of the parks the portion sizes were large but not as outrageous.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I was recently at Maggiano's in NC and asked the waiter to box up 2/3 of my meal and I asked how many other of his customers do this. Without hesitation, he said 92%. What? They keep statistics and are fully aware that it's too much? Then why do they do it? What about those of us who were taught to eat everything on our plates? Or what about those of us who are missing that chemical thingy in the brain that tells us we're full...mercy

Do they think larger portions give the illusion of "best restaurant" ratings?

Are they afraid a customer might leave feeling hungry if they don't?

Are they trying to satisfy our efforts to dress up and drive there?

What countries are most guilty of outrageous portions? ...I think i suspect the ugly truth

What specific restaurants are the worst "offenders"? ...not that I plan to make immediate reservations, mind you.
I totally agree with you on this, when we first went to the States we couldn't believe how much they put on the plate! After helping ourselves to the salad bar all 7 of us were full up, even the kids! (& they eat for England)!

However, the food was a lot cheaper than in Britain, everyone really enjoyed it & we could take doggy bags home. Unfortunately, that practise is frowned upon here, I expect it's because the portions are only minimal!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #37
Sous Chef

My mother would change your mind about older folks eating small portions. She had to move in with us because of finances and we support her, including her food bill. In fact, she has this very rude practice of eating fast, then going back for seconds and thirds trying to get as much as she can, often leaving nothing for anyone else if they want more. As bad as her finances were, she never in her life went without food.

We don't eat at a lot of chain restaurants... mostly locally-owned places. When we travel in the US, we do eat at the nicer chain restaurants, though. I think Cheesecake Factory gives outrageous portions. And when you're on the road, you can't take it with you. I hate the waste!

Oh, and having lived in Germany, I assure you that their portions are normal. No... America "takes the cake" for overfeeding their citizens to obesity. I've traveled all over the world and there is NO country like America when it comes to restaurant portions.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #38
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
America "takes the cake" for overfeeding their citizens to obesity.
I've traveled all over the world and there is NO country like America when it comes to restaurant portions.
Ouch. I like to look at it this way...America is generous

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
America "takes the cake" for overfeeding their citizens to obesity. I've traveled all over the world and there is NO country like America when it comes to restaurant portions.
Lets be careful not to lay the blame solely at the restaurants feet. People choose to go to these restaurants to eat. They could instead choose to make their own food and have reasonable portions and better quality food. They also do not have to eat everything on their plate just because it is served to them.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...They also do not have to eat everything on their plate just because it is served to them.

I grew up at a dinner table where my parents' mantra was to 'clean your plate (children are starving in Europe)'. Being a good little boy, I learned that well and, out of respect for my parents, continue though they are both gone.

So you see, I have to clean my plate.