"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #51
Chief Eating Officer

LOL I guess I am still learning expatgirl

Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Spending as much time as I did on a farm while growing up, I reminded my mother that cattle have four stomachs, and that maybe kids did too.
I ..chickens are fun to deal with.....you'd better have their corn feed at 5 in the afernoon or they'd go a .. clucking..there's only so many grasshoppers that they'd tolerate in their diets...I always loved helping my granma penning up her chickens at the end of the day.....

Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by les View Post

However, the food was a lot cheaper than in Britain, everyone really enjoyed it & we could take doggy bags home. Unfortunately, that practise is frowned upon here, I expect it's because the portions are only minimal!

Yea, same here - I mean, I know you can ask for a doggy bag, but it isn't the norm, and to be honest, I could count on one hand the times I haven't been able to finish my meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Ouch. I like to look at it this way...America is generous
I know you were kidding, but actually in our experiences, Americans were remarkably generous. So perhaps the portion sizes are a bit of a reflection on that?? Also, I was very surprised at how clued-up on New Zealand most people seemed to be (the general perception is that everyone on your side of the world thinks we're connected to Australia). Perhaps we have Lord of the Rings to thank for that!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #54
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
...in our experiences, Americans were remarkably generous. So perhaps the portion sizes are a bit of a reflection on that??
...thank you, stassie

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #55
Executive Chef

I remember the 60's very well. As well as the fifties and forties.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #56
Flour Child

How can we reverse this trend of oversized restaurant portions?
It seems if we share an entree with a friend, maybe, or pick only from the appetizer menu, that restaurants would tone it down a bit.

Or maybe we should encourage it because, afterall, it's a great value if you take some home and get another meal or two.
What restaurant can you name that has extra large portions coupled with excellent quality?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #57
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
We don't eat at a lot of chain restaurants... mostly locally-owned places. When we travel in the US, we do eat at the nicer chain restaurants, though. I think Cheesecake Factory gives outrageous portions. And when you're on the road, you can't take it with you. I hate the waste!
Recently saw results of a study that was done on US fast and casual chains, and Cheesecake Factory far and away "won" for the highest percentages of fat and largest portions. I seem to recall that one serving of anything was the equivalent of FOUR servings in many other places. That a LOT! of food.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #58
Master Chef

I think this must be a big issue, there are so many posts that I haven't gone back to them. As chains go, I like Applebees because you can order a half order of several things on their menu. Half a sandwich with a cup of soup. I personally order their salads, and they offer them in halves as well, which is really as much or more than I can eat. (and believe me, I'm a hearty eater) Here in town, where we don't have chains, the food is high priced and way too much food. So, like many mentioned, I look at my meal with the doggie bag in mind. This will be good tomorrow, that won't be great as a leftover.

I tend to not care for desert right after my meal. I'm not big on sweets, and if I want a desert, I tend to want it later at night. But when I was in the workplace it used just crack me up that on work/social occaisions (lunches out, dinners) most of the women I worked with would order a full meal, pick at it, and have big deserts. I've always wondered, none of these women went out to eat a lot, so at lunch anyway, when it was "just us girls", why didn't they just have one of the deserts as their lunch? Ever heard on the slogan: Eat desert first? I think on special occaisions, like when your coworkers are buying you lunch, go for it!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #59
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Recently saw results of a study that was done on US fast and casual chains, and Cheesecake Factory far and away "won" for the highest percentages of fat and largest portions. I seem to recall that one serving of anything was the equivalent of FOUR servings in many other places. That a LOT! of food.
Note to self: Eat at Cheesecake Factory. JK
Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #60
Flour Child

Outback Steakhouse has outrageous portions coupled with quality and also owns Bonefish Grill (my favorite), Carraba's Italian Grill (they grow plants on their roof here), Roy's (never heard of it), and Fleming's Wine & Steak Bar in the US, Guam, and Puerto Rico.

I mean seriously...have you ever seen their Bloomin' Onion?!? It's suppose to be just an appetizer and it's huge...HUGE!

Attached Images