Outrageous Restaurant Portions ...WhoWhereWhy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...And for the record, I am all for left-overs of oversized meals! It's great to not have to worry about making lunch the next day... :)

This last statement is a complete contradictory to what you've said before. But at the same time is a very good responce to the original post that started this thread.;)

Just because it has not been verbalized does not mean people do not agree.

I think GB hit the nail on the head Charlie........
No big deal in the big picture. And I for one agree with you, although I didn't say it till now. I think many people were nodding "yes", at the time.

This last statement is a complete contradictory to what you've said before. But at the same time is a very good responce to the original post that started this thread.;)

It's actually not a contradiction to anything I've said... :p
I'm all for leftovers from dinner to make NEW meals with the next day... It's a great way to save $$ for a lunch the next day. Not that I go out looking for restaurants that serve large meals. But if I eat at one, and I get a larger-than-life serving, I will happily take it home in a doggybag.

But what I'm not all for is massive portions in a restaurant right in front of me on my plate...(Even though I will happily take left overs, I'd much rather not.) I can get leftovers from meals at home too, that's not quite my point though. My point was that it's bad how restaurants have such large quantities in the first place.

I'd love to see a restaurant have those "sized meals" that some of the other posters have mentioned, although that whole issue with tipping on the meal price -vs- services does come up, and I don't have a solution to that one... :LOL:

What about the restaurants that have mega-undersized portions? Where you're paying $40+ for a cut of steak that you can get from your local butcher (and devine quality!!) for less than $10... Hmmm..
There's got to be a good balance out there somewhere...

I have found that those restaurants that serve "mega-undersized portions" do not charge less...on the contrary $$$$$...french cuisine comes to mind.

What about the restaurants that have mega-undersized portions? Where you're paying $40+ for a cut of steak that you can get from your local butcher (and devine quality!!) for less than $10
Restaurants generally get a grade of meat you can not get in most stores.

I have found that those restaurants that serve "mega-undersized portions" do not charge less...on the contrary $$$$$...french cuisine comes to mind.
I wish they did... *sigh* I love French food... :) Such small and cute portions, presented so nicely... I love going out for that sort of thing.. But yes, the $$ is a huge issue with that...

This reminds me of a time many years ago when we took my parents to a fancy French restaurant back in Long Island, NY. Food was wonderful, but portions were typically small & rather "frou-frou". After we'd finished & were getting back into the car, my dad - always the joker in the pack - couldn't help but ask "So, where are we going for dinner?" Lol!

This thread reminded me of a restaurant I used to frequent quite often in Manhattan, Carmines, and it is known for huge portions... I have never been there on my own as it is a family style, you better bring your appetite, type of a restaurant... I don't remember anyone complaining about leftovers, actually we would fight over them because the food was THAT GOOD!!!

A lot of restaurants here in Florida are now serving same dinner menu, smaller portions which I think is a blessing for those who can only eat so much... But even the ones I know don't have problems with doggie baggin it... As long as the food is good, and you don't mind the leftovers, it shouldn't be an issue...IMHO... :):):)

OMGosh, Mimi, you're right! Here are two pics of a dessert and a chicken dish from Carmine's in NYC. Notice the dollar bill for proportions. In their defense though, it does say on their website that the portions are meant to feed 4 to six people. The pics I saw on google image though showed each person with a dinnerplate in front of them. They probably aren't told that they're meant for 6.

Attachments

• Carmines-chicken.jpg
    Carmines-chicken.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Carmines-dessert.jpg
    Carmines-dessert.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 157
Mollyanne, That is there ever so famous, and one of the most wonderful dishes called Chicken Contadina... It has everything in it, chicken, sausage, potatoes, onions, red and green peppers, and (I use hot) either sweet or hot vinegar cherry peppers... Mmmmmmmmm

i've never been to carmine's, but many co-workers have gone and they say it's awesome!!! you really need to go with a large group so you can order more than 1 plate, or should i say platter. i've heard the portions are more like "feeds 8 to 10".

Ohhhhhh Bucky you live right over the bridge, what the heck is taking you so long... Did your co-workers tell you that you better love, (and I mean love) garlic??? There is so much in all their food that you sweat it out for three days, but it is so worth it... Do take yourself, and a few good men, or women, and treat yourself to some fantastic food... :clap::clap::clap:

OMGosh, Mimi, you're right! Here are two pics of a dessert and a chicken dish from Carmine's in NYC. Notice the dollar bill for proportions. In their defense though, it does say on their website that the portions are meant to feed 4 to six people. The pics I saw on google image though showed each person with a dinnerplate in front of them. They probably aren't told that they're meant for 6.

:LOL: That's awesome! :LOL:

This reminds me of a time many years ago when we took my parents to a fancy French restaurant back in Long Island, NY. Food was wonderful, but portions were typically small & rather "frou-frou". After we'd finished & were getting back into the car, my dad - always the joker in the pack - couldn't help but ask "So, where are we going for dinner?" Lol!
:LOL: My husband has made that same comment before.. hahahaha

I am not a big eater myself so I always have leftovers every time we eat at any restaurant. We often visit PeiWei and I always leave the restaurant very full and with leftovers.

That looks really good mollyanne! :)

Looks like an enormous hashbrownsw&sausages, frozenstar...I don't know...there's something missing...:cool:...I know!...a gigantic greasy Denver Omelette from Denny's :D
Disclaimer: Just joking, Carmine's. There's no comparison to Denny's. Carmine's has an excellent reputation for quality I've read.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom