"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #61
Senior Cook

On one hand when I go to the USA I am apalled at the size of the restaurant portions ,two days food for me ( Bonus ) On the other hand if I go to a restaurant here in Canada the portions are much smaller but if it is a high end place and I need glasses just to find the meal on the plate it irritates me no end. For pete's sake what does a potatoe cost ? We had a french place where you got an artfully arranged bean, a sliver of carrot and the mearest hint of something else.,you wanted to hit a fast food outlet on the way home .
We rarely visit resaurants anymore , they delight in serving 20 cents worth of pasta with a dollars worth of sauce for $20 . Gage

Old 04-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Outback Steakhouse has outrageous portions coupled with quality and also owns Bonefish Grill (my favorite), Carraba's Italian Grill (they grow plants on their roof here), Roy's (never heard of it), and Fleming's Wine & Steak Bar in the US, Guam, and Puerto Rico.

I mean seriously...have you ever seen their Bloomin' Onion?!? It's suppose to be just an appetizer and it's huge...HUGE!

We found Outback's bloomin onion to be greasy and salty. That as well as the seasonings on some of their fried potatoes may be good for their beverage sales, particularly since their 'large' beer glasses are quite shy of a true pint. The size of their steaks is less than generous.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #63
Sous Chef

maybe you can give the rest to some poor person?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #64
Master Chef

To me blooming onions are only a good thing if you are sharing one with at least 3-6 other people! I've given up on appetizers completely unless I'm with a large group OR hubby and I are making a meal out of them. JP, you brought up an interesting question. Why don't street people beg outside of some of these over-sized portion restaurants? If they did I'd gladly hand them my doggie bag!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #65
Flour Child

That's a good idea, Claire but begging is illegal where I live. Even where it is legal, I can't imagine that even streetpeople would eat something that someone else has already eaten off of...the original may have had the flu or sneezed on it or worse .

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #66
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
That's a good idea, Claire but begging is illegal where I live. Even where it is legal, I can't imagine that even streetpeople would eat something that someone else has already eaten off of...the original may have had the flu or sneezed on it or worse .
Have you heard the phrase beggers can't be choosers? If someone is that hungry then they would be more than happy to eat someones leftovers. It is better than routing through dumpsters looking for food or many of the other ways they have to feed themselves to stay alive.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #67
Everymom

While begging may be illegal, it still happens. In my experience they wouldn't take food anyway. Whenever I have been approached I offer to buy them a meal or give them some of whatever food I happen to have with me (I've often been approached at the grocery store) and have only once been taken up on the offer. Its not food they want, its money to get their next hit of whatever they need.

Its really a wonderful idea though. I've often thought about all the wasted food being donated to shelters or food banks. I just recently heard that one of the grocery stores here does that. They donate the produce that is still edible, but no longer pretty to the Food Bank here in town. I'm not sure how that would work with restaurants though.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #68
Flour Child

Alix, our grocery store does that. I've seen an suv loading up from time to time. But I've never been approached by someone begging. I volunteer at a missions where they do holiday meals for free and many come but it's an organized thing. The nearest city to me has a soup kitchen. And of course there are other various programs.

True,GB. I guess you can tell I'm not a city girl. I've seen it in movies where they reach in trash cans but I figure they're looking for something else. So sad. Now look what you've done, GB....you've gone and made me tear up.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #69
Chief Eating Officer

It is sad indeed.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #70
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Lots of you have already said this....but I just joined so I'm going to say it, too.

I used to wait tables at one of these "family restaurants".....in the South no less. If portions in America are oversized, then portions in the American South are double that. I can tell you it is absolutely a product of the "illusion of value" as well as the addictive nature of the foods. If they serve you a larger portion, not only do you feel you got your money's worth, you take it home and eat more. The more you eat, the more "hooked" you are and the more likely you are to come back. And the more you come back, the more likely you are to order bigger and better (and more expensive) items on the menu.

It's a vicious cycle. And the only way we can stop it is to put down the fork. We are responsible for our choices, not the restaurants. If you want a smaller portion, ask for one. You might be surprised. Although they weren't listed on the menu, our restaurant (not a national chain but a local chain) used to serve smaller portions all the time. Whatever the customer wants is what they will deliver.