"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #81
Master Chef

I wonder how high that lasagna really is? You can't tell by the picture.
I love big portions and yes, Americans do eat a lot more than the rest of the world, thank G-d there is plenty to eat, thank G-g there is plenty to serve, thank G-d I am for noe not complaining. And in all honesty do not know why anybody would. I suppose you've never been hungry before, and I meant it in the big picture, not because you forgot your lunch at home, but because there was nothing in the store to buy, empty shelves, no food. Rationing cards, I bet nobody who has gone thru that would ever complain about having too much food.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #82
Master Chef

I've been watching this thread with interest, and noticed several people commented about feeding the truly hungry.
I hope you'll allow me to share a very vivid memory.

My husband and I have had the good fortune to visit many countries since we met, just three years ago. Long story there. Last year we were in the beautiful city of Buenos Aries, Venezuela. After being served a luscious, but much too large dinner, we left the over priced fancy restaurant, on our walk back to our over priced fancy hotel with our leftovers all bagged up for our in room refrigerator. Thrifty, I am.
Anyway, on our sidewalk walk of the widest street in the world, we stopped at an outdoor cafe' for a last glass of wine, and set our leftover bag on the table. It was very late (they eat late there) and the skies opened up with a downpour of rain. The thunder and lightening was the topper of a lovely evening, snug as we were under the cafe' awning, actually it was very romantic.
Like I said, it was late, and the trash was piled on the corner in front of us for pickup in the morning. A young woman with a basket, and her five kids in tow appeared out of the darkness. She sat the kids down on the curb (in the rain), and she began going through the trash. She never approached us, and seemed to avoid eye contact. Every one of you would have done the same thing, with those "leftovers"!! Her smile of gratitude over her shoulder, as she and her kids left into "the night" again! I can hardly describe the impact that woman and kids made on my life. It was a life changing experience.
Now, we spend much of our time (when we are home), feeding the hungry.
Sorry to "ramble".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

wonderful story, kayelle. then there is the able bodied man i know that refuses to work. he gets just for himself, 200 dollars in food stamps. think what a mom and kids could do with that.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #84
Master Chef

I agree Babe, in this county there is a safety net for hunger. In other parts of the world there is none. My only point was personal, and how it changed my life.
I'll never forget them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #85
Flour Child

...a very touching story, kayelle. Bless their hearts. It's a powerful reminder and reality check in such a brief encounter as that. And you did a nice thing
...and, CharlieD, I was wondering the same thing about how high that Lasagna must be. There's bound to be a wise-guy who asks the waiter for a discount because he only got 99 layers...i mean really, do the cooks count the layers to make sure they've got 100? The article said the layers are paper thin.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #86
Master Chef

They look paper thin, the whole thing doesn't look that high.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #87
Executive Chef

Charlie, your comment about our horn of plenty seems to have gone in one ear and out the other with many in this forum.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

jpb, are you able to read minds? that's so cool. hey, can you think for me too?

your response would have been more effective if you'd reiterated what charlie said in some way, rather than summarily judging everyone.

your post was well received here, charlie.

i have been reading this thread with interest as well. i happen to love big portions as i get several meals out of them. it makes going out to eat or getting takeout more economically feasible in an ongoing basis.

the arguement about downsizing portions doesn't seem that it will ever work for more than just gluttonous reasons.

i was wondering what would happen if restaurants started offering different sized portions at different price ranges, much like fast food places do. would people really go out to a proper sit-down restaurant and order the small veal scallopini, and be satisfied with a lesser portion at a reduced price? i'm sure some would, but would tips then be smaller? tipping is supposed to be about service, not necessarily the cost of the meal.

inevitably, regular customers would expect a little more at those lower prices, such as is the nature of a service business, and then we're back to square one.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #89
Chief Eating Officer

Actually Bucky, they have started to do that by me. Restaurants are now offering a dinner item and a lunch item. They are identical aside from size and price and each can be ordered at any time, not just at the time their name implies.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #90
Executive Chef

You see anyone here, Bucky, agreeing with Charlie's comment that abundance is a blessing and not a curse?